Hair color, Molting or something else?

Share your photos of trophies and just plain strange deer!
Robbiecd

Hair color, Molting or something else?

Postby Robbiecd » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:04 am

These photos have the correct time stamps.  They are from south-central North Carolina, Mecklenburg County.  Are these deer just molting, or are they sick/malnourished?  Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Hunt Early, Fish Often

buckhunter21

RE: Hair color, Molting or something else?

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:24 am

Hm, I guess I can't really tell by looking at the pictures.  They may be losing their summer coat and their winter coat is coming up.....
QDM!

hunt4fun

Postby hunt4fun » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:41 am

Just looks like they are beginning to lose their summer coat to me.  The lighter color is the summer coat that they shed for a darker winter coat.  I don't know much... well anything.. about North Carolina's seasons, but if it seems too early for them to be getting winter coats, it may just be a sign of an early fall for your area.

Robbiecd

Postby Robbiecd » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:54 am

The seasons are definitely in the midst of change in the area.  Leaves are just beginning to change and the acorns are starting to drop, so I wouldn't be surprised.  I have never seen a coat with such a complexion, but I've only been putting up cameras for two seasons now.  If the deer are unhealthy, then I need to begin scouting elsewhere.  How long does this molt usually last?

hunt4fun

Postby hunt4fun » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:21 pm

I doubt you will see too many more pictures of deer with coats like that this year.  It looks like they were pretty well into their winter coats.  You may still get pics like that for a few more weeks, but after that all your worries will be gone.  All your deer will look normal to you again until next year.  If you set out cameras extra early next year, you can see deer that look kind of mangy, that is when they are shedding their winter coats. 

metamorahunter

Postby metamorahunter » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:54 am

I don't see anything to be alarmed about. Looks like the natural changing of coats to me.

Return to Photo Corner