Does a buck's rack size or weight matter more to you as a measure of success?

Share your photos of trophies and just plain strange deer!
Ben Sobieck

Does a buck's rack size or weight matter more to you as a measure of success?

Postby Ben Sobieck » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:12 am

In yesteryear, a deer's weight determined a hunter's success. Recently, racks became the gauge of a trophy. What about hunters right now? According to the deeranddeerhunting.com home page poll, they take both into consideration.

What do you consider success?

gunther89

RE: Does a buck's rack size or weight matter more to you as a measure of success?

Postby gunther89 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:33 am

I voted for neither.  I like to see bucks with large racks but to me I will try and take out a mature buck no matter what the size of him is.  Antlers are becoming more of a factor when killing bucks but to me any deer is a trophy.
Scott

coach

RE: Does a buck's rack size or weight matter more to you as a measure of success?

Postby coach » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:17 pm

Any deer is a trophy for me.
But to be honest....Everybody is impressed with big bodied size deer and or rack.

Where I hunt....140 class is almost as big as it gets.

Everybody dreams of shooting a 180-190 + booner with a big body.

Me ...I rather have a big bodied deer.  An old...big bodied deer.
Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:27 pm

"Any deer is a trophy for me."
Well put Gunther and Coach!I couldnt agree more! To me its both. I really should lean more towards the body as you cant eat the antlers tho.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

coach

Postby coach » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:37 pm

The perfect deer has everything....mass.....size ....tine length....weight....nice coat.....dominant....

After thinking about it......I'd rellay like to have a drop tine on each side...about...6-10 inches...with body size.

That would really tickle my pickle.  ( no comments )
Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:25 pm

i think most would say rack size but i think weight is number one for me!!! though the bigger the deer usually the larger the rack they kind of go hand in hand....

bigwisconsinbucks

Postby bigwisconsinbucks » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:45 pm

As a measure of success I'd have to say that a bucks' rack size is the most determining. The first question anyone I know always asks is "how many points?' So I have to say that how big the rack is mostly determines success. Weight can also play a factor, but not as many people today ask how much a buck weighs.

Lastly, a bucks age should also play a factor in success. I may shoot a 150 class 3.5 year old and a 135 class 4.5 year old, but in the end the 4.5 year old would win out because an older deer is most likely a smarter deer and harder to kill.
Kyle

bucktale

Postby bucktale » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:43 pm

I voted for both, but to be really honest any buck is a trophy because you owe that much to the deer for the thrill of the hunt and the fruits of your harvest.
Dave

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:25 am

I voted for both too. While I would love a picture with a trophy my main goal is to put meat in the freezer. In selecting both I know a big bodied deer is most likely going to have a nice rack.

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:38 am

I went with both but could just as easily went with neither. I look for both, but I'm not going to pass up a 3.5 or older deer because he's lacking in one or both catagories. IMO age is just as important factor when guaging trophies. You can't overlook the hunt or how hard you had to work for it.

Is it to late to change my answer? I would like to go with neither, to many other factors go into guaging a trophy.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

Next

Return to Photo Corner