Does a buck's rack size or weight matter more to you as a measure of success?

Share your photos of trophies and just plain strange deer!
Stickman

RE: Does a buck's rack size or weight matter more to you as a measure of success?

Postby Stickman » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:14 pm

I want to see older bucks and usually they have more weight. Not always with bigger racks. I have killed older deer that always had big bodies and alot of weight but had small racks because of declining years. So I will have to go with weight.

bowbrown

RE: Does a buck's rack size or weight matter more to you as a measure of success?

Postby bowbrown » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:28 am

I have to go with weight there is something about the look of a 200# and up deer. Its kind of like look into a cattle pasture and seeing 100 head but the big ol stud bull really stands out. After reading the Benoits book and seeing there pics I would love to see one of those big boys hanging from my game pole. Getting tired of hearing all the talk about how many inches the rack was, dont get me wrong would love to shoot a buck with a great rack but thats not the reason I hunt.

doe assassin

Postby doe assassin » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:47 pm

[quote]ORIGINAL: OHhunter

I went with both but could just as easily went with neither. I look for both, but I'm not going to pass up a 3.5 or older deer because he's lacking in one or both catagories. IMO age is just as important factor when guaging trophies. You can't overlook the hunt or how hard you had to work for it.

couldnt have said it better OHhunter
I do my grocery shopping in the woods.

Previous

Return to Photo Corner