Would you shoot this buck?

Share your photos of trophies and just plain strange deer!
DEER30

Would you shoot this buck?

Postby DEER30 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:49 am

Our team member Adam has watched this buck grow on trail cam pics all summer in the mountains of VA. As the season comes near, would you shoot?
I can never load pix on here for some reason. check it out at www.deer30outdoors.com/hunting/deer/tra ... va-buck-7/

kellory

Re: Would you shoot this buck?

Postby kellory » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:26 am

Nice rack, but looks quite young. My answer would depend upon how much meat yield. If he is as small of body as he looks, then no. I would wait for something larger. Late in the season, or near the end of a hunt, with an empty tag and a empty freezer? Yes, I would. I hunt meat, not bone. Given the shot at him and a doe the same size, I'd let him walk, if as small as he appears. Does taste better.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

DEER30

Postby DEER30 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:22 am

This deer will be plenty big enough in the body for his area. A buck of this size can expect to field dress at about 165-175lbs maybe more depending on the acorns this year. that is a big body for a buck that has to traverse the steep ridges and mountains everyday to get the groceries.

I would guess him to be 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 yrs old. Hard to tell from this pic. Mature, but yep, still a little young. It wouldn't break my heart if he never walked by my stand and gained another year, so long as the neighbors didn't grab him first. But if he came by during bow season, he's coming home with me.

I agree that shooting does for meat is much better than shooting bucks. But for me, in the mountains of southwest VA, he's a shooter! I hope to slip up to Adam's house and nab him, before he can! :lol:

thanks for the feedback

pickleguy

Postby pickleguy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:54 am

The question is would you shoot it? You don't need the approval of me or anyone else on this forum to pull the trigger on an animall that would make you happy or fill the freezer.
Your tag your decision.
�If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.It is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved

DEER30

Postby DEER30 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:29 am

Not looking for approval. I already stated that I have no problem taking that deer home. I was just curious to see what others thought.

croz2173

Postby croz2173 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:33 am

DEER30 wrote:would you shoot?

Only if I felt I was in immediate danger of being killed or seriously injured.

unclebuck

Postby unclebuck » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:04 am

Yes...Yes I would.

luvhuntin

Postby luvhuntin » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:42 pm

Yes I think i would, but I`d like to see a few pics after the velvet came off to really be sure. love those brow tines! good luck in the chase.

Return to Photo Corner