Recent pic

Share your photos of trophies and just plain strange deer!
DeanoZ

Recent pic

Postby DeanoZ » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:44 am

Just pulled this one off the cam over the weekend.  Nice buck, can't tell if he is a 6 or 8 point but he looks young, I'm guessing 2.5.  For sure he'll be a really nice buck in a couple years.  If you recall I had posted about an area I found some huge rubs on some fairly wide cedar trees.  This is that area, but I don't think it was this buck.  Regardless, I caught plenty of does in this area and it is near a stream and some lone oak trees.  Has all the makings of a good early season/prerut spot so I placed a good setup in proximity and plan to hunt it opening day.

shadow

RE: Recent pic

Postby shadow » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:59 am

Thats a good looking deer.
Maybe in a year or 2 and I'll have one or two like him on my land.

cutngut85

Postby cutngut85 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:25 am

That's a nice Jersey deer Deanoz.....good luck. We got 232 hours until we're in our stands for the opener...LOL

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:11 am

We got 232 hours until we're in our stands for the opener...LOL
ORIGINAL: cutngut85

That's a nice Jersey deer Deanoz.....good luck. We got 232 hours until we're in our stands for the opener...LOL

Hah!  And I thought I was the only one counting down, lol!  Good luck to you as well brother...we'll have to compare notes as soon as the season gets underway!

cutngut85

Postby cutngut85 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:30 am

You bet.....what part of Jersey are you from?

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:37 am

I'm from Scotch Plains...North Jersey (Union county) , but I hunt in Monmouth county,also upstate NY (Catskills) and Vermont..primarily NJ though.  I think the rut will be a bit earlier this year..last year it seemed to start around 5-6 Nov and went through Thanksgiving..after that it tapered off dramatically.  This year I'm thinking it will hit a week earlier.  Acorn crop looks promising this year with all the rain and mild temps we had so I'm thinking they will drop earlier.  What part of Jersey do you hale from?

S.W.A.T. 33

Postby S.W.A.T. 33 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:46 pm

Here is a picture i got off my trail cam. I have shot one buck with a bow it was a 7 pointer would you shot this buck or let it walk. I hunt privite land about 180

SPECILIZED.WHITETAIL.ASSAULT.TEAM.

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:29 pm

SWAT33 If you have only shot one buck with your bow I would pull trigger on him. For me I would let him walk IMO he is young but a very nice deer none the less.

cutngut85

Postby cutngut85 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:01 am

Deanoz...I live in Woodbridge, only about 20 min. from you. I hunt Jersey, Somerset and Hunterdon Counties and spend a few days hunting in VA during the muzzloader opener. Acorns are looking good this year and with all the rain we've had, everything was nice and green the whole summer. Funny you noticed that about the rut. My experience was the opposite last year....seemed as if the switch was turned off the beginning of Nov. I had amazing rut action happening in Somerset beginning the 1st-2nd week in October. That's what makes hunting frustratingly fun.....20-50 miles apart and deer show rut signs a month apart.

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:15 am

SWAT,

I probably would shoot him. They all taste too good to let em walk.[:)]

Seriously though if the land around is heavily hunted then he is probably going to be taken out anyway and he would make a nice addtion to the rack collection. If not, and you are seeing older deer on your cams, and seeing them year after year then I might let him walk. It would still be a tough call.

DeanoZ,

That is a good looking deer as well. Have not checked my cams since Late June. Batts are probably dead, but it is getting a little late for me to start moving into the woods. I am saving the last spot I setup my cam on for opening day Oct 1st. Probably get my cam out then.
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

Next

Return to Photo Corner