Should this deer be culled?

Share your photos of trophies and just plain strange deer!
shadow

Should this deer be culled?

Postby shadow » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:03 am

This is a close up of a buck that possibly had been injured in some way to cause his left side to form abnormally.
Should he be taken out of the herd altogether? Or would it be best to wait to see if he develops normally next year.

Oh, forgot the picture....

buckhunter21

RE: Should this deer be culled?

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:16 am

If you are an antler hunter, I'd say let him go this year.  Check back next year to see if it's the same or not.  Sometimes they'll hurt themselves during antler development, and that'll affect how it grows, but it'll be fine the next year.  Hard to say right now just by looking at him!
QDM!

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:00 am

would pass on him.other than the antler he looks fine.give him a year who knows what will happen .he'll at least add some meat to him in that year.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Goose

Postby Goose » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:43 am

Unless your in a high fenced area, don't buy into the culling myths.
If you want him to get bigger, let him get older.
Unless they are injured in a way that they will not survive, your best keeping your tag for a buck that you are happy with.....if this is that buck, then by all means shoot it, but culling is not necessary.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:23 pm

ORIGINAL: Goose

Unless your in a high fenced area, don't buy into the culling myths.

Glad somebody said it.

I'd pass on him and see what happens next year.  I get one buck tag for gun season, and two for archery.  I've never filled all three, but I'd wait for something bigger in my neck of the woods.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

shadow

Postby shadow » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:39 pm

My thoughts a few weeks ago when I first saw him were to leave him be for a year, then I thought maybe it was a genetic thing and I should take him out. After your responses i'll let him be and see what he looks like next year if he's still around. thanks for the info...........you don't think its genetic and he can pass it on to any off spring do you?

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:00 pm

I too am of the "no culling" mindset. Free ranging deer need nutrition, habitat and time to reach their antler potential. I would really suggest basing your harvest strategy on population control, sex ratio and age. 

Legnip

Postby Legnip » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:08 pm

ORIGINAL: shadow

Let him grow.

Is that buck shedding his velvet already?

Goose

Postby Goose » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:42 pm

It was probably damaged early in the growing stage. It more than likely will be fine next year unless he damages it again.
If his pedicle (the part that the antler grows out of) is damaged then that antler will continue to be screwed up, but that is unlikely. Genetics are very unlikely in causing that deformity, and even if they are, as JPH stated, with dispersal and everything else, taking him out will not change anything.
The whole culling thing was proved to be ineffective in several studies, including a very detailed study at the King ranch in Texas.
I don't remember who said it, but I like it: "Culling free ranging deer is like taking a cup out of the ocean and saying you changed it".
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:49 pm

I'd say , get rid of him . He has Red Print all over him ! J/K Let him go and see what he looks like next season .
Semper Fi !

Next

Return to Photo Corner