Whats Up With These Bucks

Share your photos of trophies and just plain strange deer!
shadow

Whats Up With These Bucks

Postby shadow » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:11 am

I got pictures of 2 young bucks and want to know if they are/will be "normal"?  I believe them to be only about a year old or so. One has a normal developed antler on one side and his other side seems to be a real small club sized antler.
The other buck has just 2 long antlers.
For this year, am I correct in saying that the club antlered buck will stay about the same and the long horn will also not develop a normal rack. But what about next year?

gbelardinella

RE: Whats Up With These Bucks

Postby gbelardinella » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:27 am

I have one of these bucks on my property also. He had 1 12" long antler while the other was 3" long and looked like a shoe horn. I haven't seen him since last year but I did see what I think to be one of his offspring. He to has the same style antler on the same side. I would like to think my buck has a genetic issue since there is an offspring to match. I wonder if your buck just damaged his antler early in the year. I am not sure if a damaged antler stays that way for the rest of his life and I am curious of the answer to this question also.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:35 am

On the first one ...IMO...he could have had damage earlier that arrested the developement...or...gotten that side damaged severely enough last year to cause permenant damage to that side...

On the second Just his first year rack...I've had buck here that had 18in spreads and out to their noses and not a tine to be seen...the following year...well... I took this guy, he was one of those wide yearlings the next year he looked like this...took him because...well the neighbor had nearly shot me out of my stand the morning before....Yep I went back to that stand again the next morning...he was sitting not far away.....Sooo..I'm a tad spitefull and dropped this guy not far from the property line....any how as you see he was starting to get his tines just a bit slower than the others.....

="http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/madbadger/P.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>

shadow

Postby shadow » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:42 am

Thats a nice deer MS.
Sorry to hear about you getting mistaken for a roosting turkey, didn't he see you?

Goose

Postby Goose » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:25 am

I would say that the first one was damaged earlier while growing this years antlers.
The second one is just a spike......he could turn into a 180" if he lives long enough.

An injury to the body will often affect the antler on the opposite side. So if the injury is on the deers right side his left antler may show abnormal growth because of it.
If the pedicle (the part the antler grows out of) is damaged it will be permanent....if just the antler is damaged while growing it will be back to "normal" the following year.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

shadow

Postby shadow » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:57 am

Thanks goose. I won't be shooting them this year, and unless they get taken down by a coyote.. or hit by a car, hopefully they'll still be around next year.
You mentioned an injury that could have caused the one buck not to develop on one side, and I also read about that. But using trail cams throughout the last year, I have not seen any deer show any signs of injury. Maybe its just a deer I haven't seen before that just recently came onto the property?

Goose

Postby Goose » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:33 pm

That is certainly possible.Most 1.5's disperse from their birth area. Of those that do 25 percent do so in the spring/summer and the remaining 75 percent do so in the fall around mid-October.
It also could have very easily just bumped something this spring while growing and that is the result.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Return to Photo Corner