To big for Coyote. Wolf or dog

Share your photos of trophies and just plain strange deer!
Deebz

RE: To big for Coyote. Wolf or dog

Postby Deebz » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:27 am

Hey Droptine... you can be sure that if there are wolves in your area the DNR isn't going to be very forthcoming about that info.  I hunt in East Central IL.  Last season I was at full draw on what I thought was a coyote coming through a ravine.  It ran...and i mean ran, with a HUGE tail straight out behind it... When it stopped for about 5 seconds right below my stand I noticed an odd coloration for a coyote, then i noticed how absolutely huge the thing was.  i didn't shoot because i thought maybe it was one of the farmer's dogs.  After talking with the farmer, he said he didn't have any dogs like that, and nobody around did.  Looking up pics on the net and talking with other people, i'm convinced it was a Red Wolf.  I spoke with a DNR officer at a science teacher's convention i went to and described my experience to her... her response was, well, we officially don't have any type of wolf population in IL...  She went on to say that even if people report sightings of wolves, they don't acknowledge that they are here because they don't want farmers putting out poison or shooting them...

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:15 am

I want to add something here! wolves, yoties,and anyother animal for that matter has legs! They do walk, and just because Dnr say's theirs none around take it witha grain of salt!

Ive been on the water for almost 30 years,and there are alot of things that I have seen, but was told by the National marine fisheries that the gulf of mexico does not have in it waters. lolol

Well 2 years ago a commercial fishermen got pictures of Orca whales feeding on yellow fin tuna's here in the gulf! Ive seen them, so have others, but we are delusional because the gulfs waters are to warm for those whales. Thank God for pics

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:21 am

ORIGINAL: buckhunter21

I would say possibly a wolf...But then again you guys are a good portion south in WI.  But, not out of the question.  That second picture looks like a German Shepard almost.

Yes!

My first thought was the #1 pic it looked wolfish for sure
Pic #2 I said that it looked like a dog, german shepherd (mix)
Hard to say really.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

little_deer_aaron

Postby little_deer_aaron » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:52 pm

Looks like some breed of Dog to me
Deer Hunt'n with an Enfield NO5 303 and a 50 cal CVA
May God bless all of us with a Blessed and Fruitful hunting season

fave

Postby fave » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:40 pm

ORIGINAL: Deebz

Hey Droptine... you can be sure that if there are wolves in your area the DNR isn't going to be very forthcoming about that info.  I hunt in East Central IL.  Last season I was at full draw on what I thought was a coyote coming through a ravine.  It ran...and i mean ran, with a HUGE tail straight out behind it... When it stopped for about 5 seconds right below my stand I noticed an odd coloration for a coyote, then i noticed how absolutely huge the thing was.  i didn't shoot because i thought maybe it was one of the farmer's dogs.  After talking with the farmer, he said he didn't have any dogs like that, and nobody around did.  Looking up pics on the net and talking with other people, i'm convinced it was a Red Wolf.  I spoke with a DNR officer at a science teacher's convention i went to and described my experience to her... her response was, well, we officially don't have any type of wolf population in IL...  She went on to say that even if people report sightings of wolves, they don't acknowledge that they are here because they don't want farmers putting out poison or shooting them...

Hey Deebz, you should have asked her if she was male or female, being from the department she would most likely have said, "I'm really not sure and I haven't recieved any legitamate confirmation". Seems anything less then an authorized spokesperson coached by an attorney is afraid of discussing the facts honestly for fear of self incrimination that might possibly jepardize their job. Sorry, I must be in a bad mood. What I meant to say was "The department takes all reports seriously and does pursue all claims regarding predators seriously and then moves forward diligenlty to prove them wrong". There, now I feel better telling thre truth....through sarcaqsm that is. I'm just saying. Well you know what I mean. As far as the pics: first one looks a little mangy wolf like but the second is very dog like. Cameras are great for seeing what's out there aren't they? Thanks for the pics droptine300.

droptine300

Postby droptine300 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:20 am

Look what came back.  I changed the camera location but this is the same tree in the picture.  Notice the time and date on the deer picture and then the picture (of what I am now calling a wolf) is only 1 minute 7 seconds apart.  Looks like a wolf to me.

fave

Postby fave » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:29 am

Droptine300, how far is your camera from first; the deer, second; the wolf and third; the tree. I started using the reconyx covert this year and I have those same verticle lines in my night pics. I am a little disappointed for what I paid. I could've had three lessor price cameras. Cool pics though.

Previous

Return to Photo Corner