Post Your 2009 Harvest Pics!

Share your photos of trophies and just plain strange deer!
Patriot

Post Your 2009 Harvest Pics!

Postby Patriot » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:10 am

Who's going to be the first to bag a deer in 2009?  I'm sure some of you folks in the South are still out there for January hunts.

I'm looking forward to seeing all the 2009 photos!!
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

69Viking

RE: Post Your 2009 Harvest Pics!

Postby 69Viking » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:12 am

I'll do my best, plan on being on an Alabama food plot NLT than Friday afternoon.  I have a feeling though someone will beat me to it.  Just had a cold front go through today so those able to hunt tomorrow should have a good chance at scoring one! 

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:19 am

HiddenHornsRanch posted this story and pic in the Post your 2008 Harvest Pics! thread.  I thought he should get kudos for the first 2009 deer pics posted.

Quote from HiddenHornsRanch
"Hey guys, its been a while but thats mainly because I been working and hunting since I finished this semester of school. I finally to a buck yesterday [January 3] morning. Ive seen him around our lease many times, and decided to take him this time because he should be more that he is. Hes a big 4 pointer an not the biggest or greatest but Im happy, everyones elses deer looks great, good job everyone."

Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

allthingshunting

Postby allthingshunting » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:38 am

Maryland has a late rifle season that took place this last friday and saturday, 9th and 10th.  In this season, one can take either buck or doe.  Now i have had a really good season, 4 buck killed including (1) 3.5, 2 (2.5) and one 1.5 year old.  One in PA (rifle) and 3 in MD (bow, muzzle and rifle).  I fully realize I had a tremendous season and may never have another one like it.  While legally i could definately shoot another buck with rifle in MD, i decided just to go along for the hunt.  that's the lead in to this late rifle hunt.

I was hunting with my dad, camera in hand.  We went to our favorite ground blind on friday evening after work.  The night was very slow, but about 15 min. before dark, we saw a very good 8 point with a broken point on the neighboring property.  He seemed to be interested in feeding only, paying little attention to 4 does that fed past him as we watched.  Excited that a decent buck was on his feet and in the area, we planned on returning the next morning to our ground blind and hope he would alter his travel route slightly, which would bring him onto the farm we have permission to hunt.
  Saturday morning rolled around.  20 degrees with a light frost.  Perfect deer hunting morning.  Unfortunately we busted numerous deer out the field on our approach.  If they are out, we have little option besides bumping them and hoping they come back out.  Anyhow, as i usually do, ihave a grunt tube on hand for anything we bust out.  It seems to calm them, and often times, they come back to investigate.
  Anyhow, we got situated in the blind, i got my camera ready to go.  About 10 minutes prior to "camera" light, but with more than enough shooting light (well within legal time limits) the buck we saw the night before came out at the corner of the field we were watching over.  I could immediately tell it was a mature buck, and one look through the binos confirmed the broken point of the buck the night before.  That look also confimed this deer was 2.5 + which is our goal on that farm.
  While both of us would have loved to capture the shot on film, it was clear this deer wasn't going to be around long enough for light to arrive.  Since we don't get paid to shoot deer on film, we consider it to be only a bonus, we did not hesitate to take the shot despite it not being filmed.
  The deer was all but broadside at about 90 yards.  I gave a slight mouth grunt, he stopped in his tracks, and one shot from the old 06' and it was all over.  Never took another step.
  Anyhow, i am very new at attempting to age deer based on teeth, but figured i would try nonetheless.  I got one of those print-out sheets with the teeth diagram.  I am pretty sure it shows him to be 3.5 years old.  I will take a picture soon and post it, maybe someone on here can confirm that for me.
  Anyhow, not a bad day for the last one of the season.

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:27 am

Beautiful buck, Congrats
Couldn't think of a better way to end it!
I would say he's either a nice 2.5 or 3.5
What did he weigh?
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:59 am

Beautiful buck, congrats!

Centralwisconsinland

Postby Centralwisconsinland » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:13 am

Nice deer and NO snow.
It's easier to do a job right the first time than to explain why you didn't.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:51 am

Very nice buck and congrats on your great season!
QDM!

allthingshunting

Postby allthingshunting » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:13 am

haha, no snow is right.  It doens't know how to snow around here anymore.  The last few years all we seem to get is the start as snow, change to sleet and end with rain pattern.  It really sucks.  "Global Warming" - LOL

It weighed 140 pounds dressed, it had absolutely no fat whatsoever.  We are guessing he was probably walking around at 200+ before the rut started.

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:58 am

Here is the buck fawn I shot on the 3rd of January in our holiday hunt in Wisconsin.  Walked over 2 miles in a foot of snow before I finally saw a deer.

Next

Return to Photo Corner