Photo Series: Bear Attacks, Eats Buck

Share your photos of trophies and just plain strange deer!
Crookedneck

RE: Photo Series: Bear Attacks, Eats Buck

Postby Crookedneck » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:36 am

I live where there is a healthy herd of deer and more bear than you can shake a stick at, but it is rare to see a bear, unless specifically looking for them.

Has anyone here done any research on the relationship between the whitail deer and the black bear. I think most people don't understand that in the spring when the bears leave their hybernation that they are one of the biggest prey animals on young fawns. Has any one here ever seen a bear in an alphalfa field searching for a fawn? Slow deliberate....they find them...then they eat them...it is nature. Imagine the outrage if these photos would have been of that situation. The fact is that these two animals coincide in the same woods. This type of thing happens more than alot of people really know. Bears are very lazy, but oppurtunistic.

As an ethical hunter would I have wanted to see this deer put down humanely? Of course! Would I have done it myself? Absolutely not! There are a whole new set of rules that apply that law enforcement has the resposibility to take care of.

Regardless of how the deer was injured, nature is having it's course. When the bear dies and the worms, small mammals, vultures and maggots are eating it, the circle will start all over again!

Interesting pictures!

Crookedneck

timtraczyk@yahoo.com

Postby timtraczyk@yahoo.com » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:06 am

If you look at the first picture, the right front leg looks broken.

fave

Postby fave » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:59 pm

My freind is a biologist for the DNR. He told me of videos he had to watch on black bear feeding on whitetail fawns. He told me the reason a bear goes straight for the stomach is from eating fawns. They focus on the milk in the fawns stomach first. Unfortunately they don't wait for the fawn to die and the whole episode is quite gruesome. Wolves do the same. It's nature and it's disturbing. The black bear feeding on a fawn is not unlike a brown bear feeding on a flopping salmon at Brooks Falls in Alaska. I think we're just less sensative to watching a fish dismembered then a baby mammal. It's all fascinating but 'ld rather not watch it on a daily basis. I think I'll make a sandwich.

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:48 pm

WOW

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:10 pm

You think this bear is checking out a potential lunch?

fave

Postby fave » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:00 am

Kind of looks to me that the girl is eyeing up a potential garlic stuffed leg roast.

Previous

Return to Photo Corner