Photo Series: Bear Attacks, Eats Buck

Share your photos of trophies and just plain strange deer!
danesdad

RE: Photo Series: Bear Attacks, Eats Buck

Postby danesdad » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:12 am

One thing that has me doubting that this occurred in PA is the condition of the road. The asphalt is dark and smooth and the fog line looks like it was painted recently. Granted there are some roads like this in PA, but not many. A blind man can cross the border anywhere and he'll know the minute he as entered or departed from PA. We have the worst roads of any developed nation here.

Although I do feel bad for how the buck died, I would not interfere in the process. If the buck were wounded and no bear was feeding on it, maybe I would have put it out of it's misery if I had the means to do so on hand. But that deer belonged to that bear by the time those pictures were taken. It would have been wrong for me to intervene.

Nature is what it is and even tho man loves to put a lot of emotion into it (how "cute" baby bunnies are, how coyotes look sinister, even how badly we feel for this particular deer) the fact is, as far as nature is concerned, there is no emotion at all. It's just business as usual...in the woods.
Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.

mrsc701

Postby mrsc701 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:09 am

You do know this deer was hit by a vehicle and already dead, right??????? HELLO

ajkrem22

Postby ajkrem22 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:40 am

mrsc701

I think you need to take a look at the pictures again as you can clearly see the bucks head is up and moving. In picture #1 through 3 you can see the buck trying to get away from the bear.
Andy

LostUpNorth

Postby LostUpNorth » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:31 am

ORIGINAL: lando

I agree! The deer. Should have been put down first! But, the ranger is not allowed to disrupt nature. But an animal hit by a car is not an act of nature.

Hmmmm. Man and all of his stuff (cars, guns, nuclear bombs) are not part of nature? That might explain why I hear statements from pro-wolf groups like "deer have no natural predators left because we've killed them all off." Apparently we can kill stuff off predators but we ourselves aren't considered a natural predator. Same thing with releasing animals "back into the wild." Where exactly did the wild end? At the last freeway exit?

My point is that a car strike is just as natural of a death and just as much an act of nature as anything else. I think it's real easy to separate ourselves from nature without even realizing we're doing it and more importantly, without realizing the ramifications of that separation.

With all that said, I don't like watching things suffer any more than anyone, but I do accept that it's just the way of nature.

Happy hunting and thanks for the pics!

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:06 am

OK OK so try some of these HELLO's on for size...but first...think real hard on any past conversations you may have had with other hunters...be it on the BB or in person....

So you wouldn't put down a deer you find wounded with gangrene while hunting...hey act of nature right?

You come across a pack of domestic dogs that have chased down and are eating a deer alive....you wouldn't call a warden(illegal for ppl in NY to put down) but a EOC office will...or if legal put the deer down your self...hey if a tree falls in the woods right?

Give me a freaking break![8|]

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:56 am

wow thats nuts! I havent seen anything like this before.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Wolfman

Postby Wolfman » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:31 am

ORIGINAL: mightyfofaad

These photos remind me the of the oddity, that only cats kill their prey before they eat it. Everything else, dogs, wolves, bears, hyenas, snakes, alligators etc ... just start eating as soon as the prey in under control.

So next time you're in the woods & you're being stalked by a puma, a wolf or a bear ... pray the puma gets to you first.
[:D]

[font="Courier New"]Actually, every time they show this sort of thing in National Geographic documentaries, you always hear the narrator saying, "While this seems extremely cruel, the animal goes into shock & doesn't actually feel a thing."

REALLY? I suppose that was based on an interview that went something like this. "Mr. Zebra, we noticed that you are still alive while those Hyenas are disemboweling you. Is that very painful?" "Nah, I've gone into shock & believe it or not, I don't feel a thing!"

So I guess MFF, I'd be rooting for the Puma too.
[/font] [:D]
IF YOU'RE NOT PART OF THE SOLUTION, THEN YOU'RE PART OF THE PROBLEM.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:26 am

ORIGINAL: ajkrem22

mrsc701

I think you need to take a look at the pictures again as you can clearly see the bucks head is up and moving. In picture #1 through 3 you can see the buck trying to get away from the bear.

My impression is that the deer was alive (at first) but due to injury incurred from a vehicle collision, unable to flee. In the later pictures, it's eyes have a glassy look...like it was dead by then. Plus, as stated, it's head was up at first.
Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.

SmittyT

Postby SmittyT » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:51 pm

Shenadoah National Park also known as Skyline Drive is located in Warren County VA. Well, parts of the park are located in this county. The park is something like 200,000 acres. There is no hunting allowed. It is not uncommon to get close to the bears there. We were there last fall and photographed a young bear at 40 yards. The bear just sat there. If this did happen in the park in would not be uncommon for the bear not to be afraid of humans.

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:05 pm

If you look at the photos again you will see that the deer is alive, and not having a good day!!
ORIGINAL: mrsc701

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Corner