VA National Forest Buck

Share your photos of trophies and just plain strange deer!
mb915

VA National Forest Buck

Postby mb915 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:05 pm

Finally pulled my trail camera to see what made it throught the season. I hunt deep big woods in VA, glad to see this buck made it through the season. Does not look like and old buck, but has a nice rack for the deep woods mountains of VA.

bmstaaf

RE: VA National Forest Buck

Postby bmstaaf » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:33 pm

Looks like a nice deer to me, when was the picture taken? Deer are hard to age from distances after the winter, looks to be healthy, I would be surprised if it still carrying horns this late. Is it a mountain deer, at camp due to the lack of nutrition and crops we call them mountain deer, tend to be alot smaller in size then the crop fed deer. Whatever it is still a good buck!

badappleoutdoors

Postby badappleoutdoors » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:55 pm

Looks like a nice buck! Will be a good buck next year.

easports

Postby easports » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:04 pm

I hunt warren county and I wish I saw a deer like that. That's a nice deer.

4khorn

Postby 4khorn » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:25 pm

Bet you cant wait to get after him. Hopefully you can get some pics of him in velvet this summer. Be sure to share them if you do. Would be interesting to see what kind of jump he can make from last year.
My pursuit of a buck of a lifetime is much like the Chicago Cubs pursuit of a World Series...the season ends with a "wait til next year"

Luke

mb915

Postby mb915 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:23 pm

bmstaaf,

The picture was taken 1/30/11. It is a mountain deer, no agriculture crops for miles around. Just lots of woods to find food in for these deer.

easports,

thats the one nice thing about the National Forest, might not always see a lot of deer and you have to contend with a few other hunters, but there are some big deer in there and you so you never know when you may get lucky.

Return to Photo Corner