Happy Ending or Sad Ending???

Share your photos of trophies and just plain strange deer!
franky85

Happy Ending or Sad Ending???

Postby franky85 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:47 pm

I started a post a while back on a very strange set of 2009 shed antlers I found and pictures of the deer from 2010. http://forum.deeranddeerhunting.com/tm.aspx?m=91105&mpage=1&key=&#91209
Here is an update.  I don't know if this is a happy ending or a sad ending as I had really hoped to harvest this buck, but I guess it is better than not knowing what happened to him at all.
Anyone have any ideas on how you would go about getting base measutements on this deer when scoring it?

The deer is a main frame 8 point, with a kicker on his right G2, and 8 "brow tines", and one point coming out of his head between his eyes.  He had one more point this past fall that apparently got broken off at some point.

I would have resized the middle picture, but it is kind of neat to see how the bases grew together up close

Rutnut

RE: Happy Ending or Sad Ending???

Postby Rutnut » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:40 pm

Wow, that's a real nice looking set of antlers. You should bring it to a sportsman show or something similar, someone there will be able to score it for sure. It's a shame he died, but like ya said, at least you know about it and recovered the rack. Very cool.

franky85

Postby franky85 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:56 pm

I will have last years antlers and this years head at the Deer and Turkey Classic this weekend in Peoria, IL.  I will probably be there on Saturday (03-26-2011).

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:46 pm

Your base measurement is taken from the narrowest spot between the burr and the brow tine. They say to use a metal tape, I use a clothe (seamstress) tape. I don't see where you get 8" brow tines. What I see of brow tines are those small bumps or points above the burr of the base.

Was that "chew" on the left G-3 of the shed antler when you found it? I don't remember seeing it in the pic of the initial post. 
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:26 pm

Looks like you could use a new pair of pants there Franky..(Ha)
Weird, but cool rack.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

franky85

Postby franky85 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:56 am

Charlie 01,

So I guess on this deer the measurement would be taken right under the "normal" brow tines on each side above where the antlers are grown together?

Yes, that chew was there before, it just wasn't shown in any of the pictures I posted on the last thread.

I didn't say he had 8 inch brow tines.  I said he had 8 brow tines.  I guess they wouldn't all be called brow tines, but he does have 8 different points that are over an inch long above the burs and below the g2s.  You can't see them all from the front.  The picture here shows some of those points a little better.  Sorry, I'm no expert and probably didn't explain it to well, just trying to get some input and see what people think or if anyone has ever seen a deer like this before.

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:13 am

I'm sorry, I miss read it, (8 "brow tines"). I believe they are called stickers. If they are at least an inch long they count. You do have a rare one. I have never seen or heard of anything like that. I hope you kept the skull intacked so someone can age him. It would be interesting to know how old a deer he was, and how such a thing came about. You should get that shed antler chew repaired before it gets broken off. I do such things.  
never say never

franky85

Postby franky85 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:07 pm

Charlie01,
I did keep the skull intacked and have the bottom jaw as well.  Getting him aged is one of my goals for this weekend at the deer and turkey classic.
Thanks for the tip, I will have to consider getting that repaired.

Franky

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:44 am

Franky, what did you find out about your odd finds at the deer classic?
never say never

franky85

Postby franky85 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:59 pm

Not a darn thing.

Wall to wall people and no room to move.  They won't let you take any antlers or anything inside the area so I got no info on anything.
Pretty neat event, but they need a bigger area.

A good friend of mine took some up close pictures of his teeth and is going to have some people give him their opinoins on the age of the deer.

I boiled the head though, and bleached it out a little bit and it does look pretty nice now.

Return to Photo Corner