Photos: D&DH Deploys to Afghanistan

Share your photos of trophies and just plain strange deer!
Ben Sobieck

Photos: D&DH Deploys to Afghanistan

Postby Ben Sobieck » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:04 am

These photos really made an impact at the Deer & Deer Hunting offices. It's a great honor that some soldiers continue reading D&DH while deployed as a reminder of life back home. One of them is Ben Pragle, who sent us this message.

"I was deployed to eastern Afghanistan last year as a door gunner on a Chinook helicopter. The magazine always brought my mind back home to western NY while I was there. I took these photos over the Kunar province during a resupply mission."

Here are the photos:

Everyday Hunter

RE: Photos: D&DH Deploys to Afghanistan

Postby Everyday Hunter » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:19 am

For some of us it might be hard to imagine how important these magazines are to our soldiers. Several years ago a friend of mine had a son stationed in Baghdad. He was living in one of Saddam's palaces, and someone had sent some hunting magazines to the soldiers there. Many of these guys have the same hopes, dreams and interests we had as young men, and it's a highlight of their day to read things that take them back home to simpler, more peaceful and carefree times.

The reason my friend told me this was that his son picked up a copy of Outdoor Life there in Baghdad one day, and as he was reading through it he came to a story about a double-play on Alaska moose, and saw my name on the article. It's not so much that it was my name as it is the familiar things that keep their minds and hearts on home and on the promise of better times to come. Maybe not everyone will agree on what they're fighting for, but one thing we can be sure of is that they're all fighting to get back home to a normal life. The magazines like D&DH give them a taste of that normal life.

I would encourage us to find ways to make the things we enjoy available to others, whether those at war, in nursing homes, or anywhere we can drop off a few magazines. It will mean a lot.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

dewey

Postby dewey » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:56 am

I would like to send a heart filled thank you to our brave men and women overseas and stationed here that keep us safe and protect our way of life.

Ben:

Is it possible to start a magazine drive/donation fund to send magazines to our troops overseas? People could donate a subscription and have a bunch of magazines sent overseas to raise their spirits and to modestly say thank you.

I would like to sponsor a subscription to D&DH for one of our brave men and women.

Dewey
�Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.�

Mahatma Gandhi

bjsokwild

Postby bjsokwild » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:22 am

As a retired, disabled, enlisted Air Force veteran who served either in a temporary or permanent capacity on five continents in 20 years of service, including Desert Storm/Calm, having access to outdoor periodicals while deployed or stationed overseas was and still is extremely important to many who wear the uniform. I, as well as my wife, can attest to me taking as many as 20 or more outdoor publications (including D&DH and T&TH) on several deployments over the years, to either pass the time in the 'hurry up and wait' world that is the military or to temporarily take my mind off of the mission at hand during downtimes. I agree with dewey's posting that starting a drive to collect gift subscriptions for our servicemembers deployed or stationed in combat environs would be a awesome, thoughtful gesture to them. It would be worth contacting a representative of Morale, Welfare and Recreation (MWR) at a nearby active duty military installation or a local USO center to find out what actions would be necessary to achieve this worthy goal. These two entities usually have support operations at many of the rear and forward operating locations (R/FOL's) in the various theatres of operations, so as to provide servicemembers with free access to these types of materials. I would also suggest the donation of outdoor-themed dvd's as well, if possible. Your continued acknowlegement and support our service members, past and present, is greatly appreciated.

NATOSHOE

Postby NATOSHOE » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:51 pm

The hardest challenge for me during my 20 years in the US Navy has been the missed hunting seasons. In 20 years I have moved 9 times around the world, have lived in Europe for 6 years, have spent 7 months in Iraq, toured Kabul a couple of times, and have completed five different 6+ month carrier deployments with all of the associated training time away from home preparing for these events; and there is nothing exceptional about this career, it's "par for the course".

I applaud the people who keep asking how they can help the military members. Here is my suggestion which I will pursue when I retire in three years so keep an ear out if you are interested in helping.

Problem: I consider myself fortunate that those few times I make it home, I can go to my brothers' hunting club. It's a win-win for all involved because they love to hear of my experiences allowing them to stay in touch with the service of military members and I usually get the choice stand for my short visit. Many of the military guys don't have this option and when you only have two weeks at home, there isn't time for scouting on public lands when you also need to spend time with family and friends (Try explaining spending a week in the woods to mom who hasn't seen you in 2-3 years--not a good idea). Therefore even when you make it home, many times you still don't get a chance to hunt.

Solution: I propose a new organization (name TBD-It's been suggested "Hunting Heroes" but to be honest I'm not fond of the overuse of the term "Heroes" today). This organization would track landowners and/or hunting clubs by area which would like to host a military member and offer an opportunity for them to share in their good fortunes and share their hunting opportunities with these guys. When the soldier/sailor/airman returns home, he contacts the coordinator for that area who would then pass to him the nearest participating landowner/hunting club. This would allow them to coordinate possible hunting opportunities.

This isn't rocket science and would be so easy to accomplish with just an Excel spreadsheet and some pro-bono paperwork by attorneys to ensure that any landowner concerns are accounted for. If someone doesn't start a program similar to this then I will when I retire but currently I'm living overseas (again) and do not have the opportunity to accomplish such an easy task.

I hope to enlist D&DH's help to start such an organization when I do have the opportunity so if the editors are reading, you have my e-mail address.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

dewey

Postby dewey » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:39 pm

ORIGINAL: NATOSHOE

Problem: I consider myself fortunate that those few times I make it home, I can go to my brothers' hunting club. It's a win-win for all involved because they love to hear of my experiences allowing them to stay in touch with the service of military members and I usually get the choice stand for my short visit. Many of the military guys don't have this option and when you only have two weeks at home, there isn't time for scouting on public lands when you also need to spend time with family and friends (Try explaining spending a week in the woods to mom who hasn't seen you in 2-3 years--not a good idea). Therefore even when you make it home, many times you still don't get a chance to hunt.

Solution: I propose a new organization (name TBD-It's been suggested "Hunting Heroes" but to be honest I'm not fond of the overuse of the term "Heroes" today). This organization would track landowners and/or hunting clubs by area which would like to host a military member and offer an opportunity for them to share in their good fortunes and share their hunting opportunities with these guys. When the soldier/sailor/airman returns home, he contacts the coordinator for that area who would then pass to him the nearest participating landowner/hunting club. This would allow them to coordinate possible hunting opportunities.

This isn't rocket science and would be so easy to accomplish with just an Excel spreadsheet and some pro-bono paperwork by attorneys to ensure that any landowner concerns are accounted for. If someone doesn't start a program similar to this then I will when I retire but currently I'm living overseas (again) and do not have the opportunity to accomplish such an easy task.

Very good idea NATOSHOE and welcome to the forum! Thank you for your service! I think in some states some groups already do this but I could be wrong. Of course I do not remember who they are and you don't really hear too much about it so it is difficult to help/volunteer when you don't hear about it.

Dewey
�Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.�

Mahatma Gandhi

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:53 pm

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it's in English thank a veteran.

Especially the Marines!!

Semper Fi
South Carolina Low Country

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:59 am

To all you you men that is in Afghanistan we are very proud of all of yall here at home .All these Deer are still here and some are even getting bigger and waiting on yall's return.I wished they had a drop in different places around America to give subscriptions to yall or even all of our old Hunting Magazines that just end up laying around the house for ever after being read .I can't think of a better place or hands for all of those Magazines to end up in .I pray every one of you men get home safe and get to enjoy the love you have in your hearts for the hunt and the outdoors .Keep up the great work and tell your stories when you get home to us all.God be with you all and Prayers are steady going up to God for each and everyone of you .Live strong and protect the House.
                                 Thank you ,
                                 Stephen Ivy

Return to Photo Corner