Deer with names...

Share your photos of trophies and just plain strange deer!
CoG

Deer with names...

Postby CoG » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:12 pm

Ok, I have this thing with naming my deer that I see often and get on camera.  It's fun for me and makes the deer easier to talk about and recognize.  So if you do the same, post a trail cam pic of a named deer and how it got that name.  If you've got a deer you wanna name show a pic and we'll figure it out.  I'll start with one and post more later.

I've seen this guy at least 5 times this year.  He is very much a resident and goes by the name Lefty.  It's very obvious how he got that name.  Hope he hangs on to both antlers next year, but he may be hard to recognize then.

-Benny

gunther89

RE: Deer with names...

Postby gunther89 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:29 pm

My cousin and I always are naming big bucks that we have running around.  The one in the picture below is a buck we called sweeper.  He got that name because his beams at the end sweep up which we thought was really cool.  

Scott

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:20 pm

I don't have any trail cams, but am getting one for Christmas.

I have started to name each deer I kill, however.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Huntin Farmland

Postby Huntin Farmland » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:48 pm

Here is one we called Crab Claw because he is just a big six as a mature deer. Don't have a name for the ten since I only have one picture of him. If he is still around-give me a name to call him next year! Thanks.

Have fun with your new trail cam Patriot! It is almost as fun for me to see what I have on camera as it is to sit in the woods.
Genesis 9:3 �Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything.�

DeerAddict

Postby DeerAddict » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:35 pm

We call this guy Scaredy cause everytime we see him the camera flash scares him, but he still comes back later(only at night tho).
Just curious Patriot... do you know what kind of trail camera you'll be getting?

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:21 pm

ORIGINAL: DeerAddict

We call this guy Scaredy cause everytime we see him the camera flash scares him, but he still comes back later(only at night tho).
Just curious Patriot... do you know what kind of trail camera you'll be getting?

It's a Moultrie GameSpy IR 5.0.  I bought it for myself and asked Mrs. Patriot to wrap it up and put it under the Christmas tree.  [:)]
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

DeerAddict

Postby DeerAddict » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:30 pm

Haha....Nice choice!

Rubydog

Postby Rubydog » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:49 pm

How about " Dead " as in Dead Deer....... anyone for that name ?

CoG

Postby CoG » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:54 pm

Huntin Farmland,
I love big mature six pointers.  Something special about them to me.  I'd be hunting him hard.  Got any more pics? 

The ten is gorgeous too, any encounters with him yet? 

Patriot,
Naming dead deer is easy, there's always a story.  Naming them on the hoof is a little more creative.  You'll love having a trail cam.
-Benny

CoG

Postby CoG » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:17 pm

Here's Baby Brow which we call BB.  His name is obvious too.  In keeping with the theme and not at the time being sure if the deer in my avatar wasn't BB I named him Bam Bam just in case.  Now convinced they are not the same deer.

I've passed BB up three different times this year.  He's not quite what I want and I think he's only 2.5, but he's still very tempting.  Haven't seen him in a few weeks and the neighbor popped at an 8 pointer a couple weeks back.  Only time will tell.

-Benny

Next

Return to Photo Corner