My first post on D&DH and my first real buck!!

Share your photos of trophies and just plain strange deer!
Everyday Hunter

RE: My first post on D&DH and my first real buck!!

Postby Everyday Hunter » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:45 pm

Congrats! Nice buck. Welcome to the forums.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

GUNSMITHINBULLDOG

Postby GUNSMITHINBULLDOG » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:44 pm

I hunt in southest Virginia. I am blessed to live on 400 acres that has all kinds of habitat from bean fields to cut overs to clear cuts to swamps. I've kinda cut back on taking in gun work so i can spend more time in the woods. I'm having a great season so far!!

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:50 pm

Nice buck! Congratuilations GUNSMITHBULLDOG. That's a good way to start. My first buck was a narrow, clubby 7 point 1.5 year old. He weighed about 130 pounds, but by the time I got him out of the woods, he felt like he weighed 220.

What did you shoot him with & at what distance?

Good luck the rest of the season too.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

GUNSMITHINBULLDOG

Postby GUNSMITHINBULLDOG » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:15 am

What would you guys guess the age of this deer to be?

Jon H.

Postby Jon H. » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:23 am

Nice buck! Welcome to the forum. I going to guess around 3 years, by the shape of the head and no gray hair.

Huntingdad

Postby Huntingdad » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:45 pm

Awesome buck for sure!!! Congrats!!!

Osty

Postby Osty » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:30 pm

That's a very weird rack but that is awesome! Don't worry about the mess, that adds character to the picture and story!

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:35 pm

ORIGINAL: GUNSMITHINBULLDOG

What would you guys guess the age of this deer to be?

I'd say 3.5.  Did you have him aged?
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

GUNSMITHINBULLDOG

Postby GUNSMITHINBULLDOG » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:49 pm

I think this pic is decieving. Everybdy that saw the deer in persn thought he was an old deer. i didnt have him aged but the taxidermist said he looked pretty old. He kinda had a pot belly and a bulbous nose. Also had grey hair though its hard to see in the pics.

So I want to ask you guys, If you had three buck tags to fill and this guy walked 20 yards from your stand during muzzle lader season, would you have shot him?

Also I want to show you guys the buck I killed december 20th. Thia guy made my Christmas!!!

This was a day i will never forget. I was in town finishing up some Christmas shpping and started heading home because it was 2:30 pm and I wanted to go get in my stand behind my house at 3:30. Im rolling along the back roads and about to come around a turn over a little bridge when i see a Ford explorer coming towards me screeching tires through the turn. I start breaking as hard as I can and gettin over when this guy's rear tires break loose and he starts coming around the turn sideways and in my lane. I slam into the guard rail and I hear him screech to a hault. I see him in my mirror still sideways behind me. I dont know how he managed not to flip. I check to make sure my GF is ok and I get out of the car to see if the guy is ok. When i get out of the car he peels tires and takes off before I can get his license plate. I go after him and find him at the fire dept. about a mile up the road. turns out he is a firefighter and he had met his wife at the station earlier to go look at thier new property after about an hour they realized they had left thier 5 month old son in the wifes truck at the fire station unattended. The man who almost hit me was frantic to get to his baby. He was histericle and even I was little emotional and was happy that his baby was ok. he agreed to pay for the damage caused to my car and we exchanged information.

So after I get a police report and get home I finally get to gear up and get in the stand. "Hunters" on the adjoining property from mine were calling up dogs that they had been running all day so i thought to myself, "Better go back home im not going to see anything tonight". I decided I just kinda felt like sitting and watching the sun go down over the trees even if I didnt see any deer. I talked to God a little bit and thanked him for sparing my life and my Gf's life and also for the added bonus of getting me home in time to hunt. Then I asked him to ask my brother who i lost in 2002 if he could push me a deer tonight and I would be a happy camper. Right as the sun started to go down this 8 pointer and a few smaller bucks walked out on me on my right side. I squeezed a round at him and he ran about 20 yards and crashed in the woods.

I went and found him and couldnt believe it. Just a couple hours before I had almost been killed in an accident and now I have the most beautiful buck I have ever killed laying in front of me. I sat there in the woods with him for a few minutes before I called my father in law to bring the tractor back to get him back to the skinning shed. I thought to myself, "Thank you god. You have done it again!". Then I said "Charlie, thats a nice buck but how but a 10 pointer next time?". Right as i was thinking that. A big glob of slush fell from a pine branch and landed down my neck. I couldnt make this stuff up if I tried.

Anyways, sorry for the long drawn out story but this is a deer I will never forget. It really put me in the holiday spirit and I just thought you guys might be as mushy as me when it comes to hunting. thanks for reading.

Previous

Return to Photo Corner