Feel Very Sorry For This Guy!

Share your photos of trophies and just plain strange deer!
droptine300

Feel Very Sorry For This Guy!

Postby droptine300 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:08 pm

This guy has been coming in to my cameras quite regular.  However he went past someone else.  I hope I or someone else can put him out of his misery this next weekend during gun season.  Poor guy.

Gulfcapt

RE: Feel Very Sorry For This Guy!

Postby Gulfcapt » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:31 pm

I Hate seeing that! No deer deserves it either. Droptine i hope you do get a chance to finish him off..

Imagine walking around with that stuck in your leg, and every bush/tree that the arrow comes into contact with grinds into the leg..

I wounder if that person that shot him was trying to take a 50yrd shot the arrow don't look like it hardly penatrated.. Im sure hit bone

droptine300

Postby droptine300 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:57 pm

I went back and reviewed my pictures of this buck.  On 10-22 he hadn't been shot yet.  He showed back up on 11-02 with the arrow.  I just couldn't see the arrow because it was a night picture.  But in the night picture I could see he was favoring the leg.  This pic was taken on 11-7.

Hard to believe this guy has been walking around for at least 5 days without breaking this arrow on something.  There is a standing cornfield about 100 yards from this waterhole.  I believe he is hanging from the corn to the water.  But who knows maybe he's going further than I think as he is showing up about once a week.

I agree this looks like this was a long shot.  It looks like a carbon arrow.  I shoot only 60 lbs with a carbon arrow and I know at 25 yds I would have got a lot more penetration than that.  It also looks like it may have been a slight quartering to shot.  Granted very slightly, but?.  If he could shed the arrow somehow he would probably survive. But with the arrow still in him I would think it would keep the wound open and eventually it will get even more infected than it already is.

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:36 pm

I imagine that deer is spending most of its time lyingdown and not traveling far! That arrow Im sure hurts him when he does have to get up to walk, eat and drink..

Im with you maybe if he loses the arrow he will make it

ghost hunter

Postby ghost hunter » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:52 am

looks like a close shot straight in slight quarter right leg trailing when shot

i unfortunatly made this mistake once on a doe after stalking 400 yards through picked soy bean

i also had a very slight breeze towards the deers front but the mind being set on stalking to position and

not considering the trailing leg was the key to the mistake i was less then 25 yards i also may have tapped a rag weed

i too am surprized the arrow is not broken or chewed off or pulled out

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:42 am

What makes you think he can even lay down? With the way he is favoring that leg, I dought that he can. He needs water. I'm sure he will hang around it. If you are close enough to the area, you should go in often and see if you can end his suffering. If he gets weak and exhausted enough, the coyotes will get him, and that won't be a pretty site either. I too, am surprised he hasn't broken the arrow off. When I used to shoot aluminums, and made my own arrows, I used what was called "wader patch" to hold my inserts in. It had a low melting point. Strong enough to hold the broad in, yet if embodied in a deer, the body warmth would soften the glue and the arrow would depart from the insert. And yes, it worked. I shot a buck in the neck, it hit solid bone. After about 80yds of tracking I found my arrow less the insert and broadhead. A week later my hunting partner at the time saw him and he was doing fine. Got away from using the stuff cause my carbons come already made up. I used that setup for many years with no problems. If it's not in any vitals, a deer can survive with a broad head in it. When I used to skin out my deer, on some, I would find things in the neck or spine, consisting of bullets, broadheads, all healed over. No one likes to see this. It is a sad thing, and I feel for the animal. Some things are going to happen. If you think he's miserable, think about the gut shot deer that is left over night to expire. Anyway, I hope someone can help end his problem.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

BIG 8

Postby BIG 8 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:31 pm

Droptine300, if it was up to me i would try to sit all day long, day after day(if your schedule allows that is) over this water hole and wait for him to come in. This pic is during daylight so he is comin in during shooting hours so there is a chance he could come in and give you the finishing shot. I hope you or someone can get him. I hate to see deer or any animal suffer from a hunter. As a hunter i feel it is our right to the animal to make a clean and quick kill. I understand that things happen sometimes(arrow hitting a branch and deflecting as an example). I hope the hunter who shot him at least tried doing everything he/she could to find/recover this deer. Best of luck to you on this buck
Addicted to hunting!!

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:45 pm

A deer is capable of getting up or down with one good front leg! Heck you can blow one completly off and that sucker will get up and run off!
ORIGINAL: charlie 01

What makes you think he can even lay down? With the way he is favoring that leg, I dought that he can. He needs water. I'm sure he will hang around it. If you are close enough to the area, you should go in often and see if you can end his suffering. If he gets weak and exhausted enough, the coyotes will get him, and that won't be a pretty site either. I too, am surprised he hasn't broken the arrow off. When I used to shoot aluminums, and made my own arrows, I used what was called "wader patch" to hold my inserts in. It had a low melting point. Strong enough to hold the broad in, yet if embodied in a deer, the body warmth would soften the glue and the arrow would depart from the insert. And yes, it worked. I shot a buck in the neck, it hit solid bone. After about 80yds of tracking I found my arrow less the insert and broadhead. A week later my hunting partner at the time saw him and he was doing fine. Got away from using the stuff cause my carbons come already made up. I used that setup for many years with no problems. If it's not in any vitals, a deer can survive with a broad head in it. When I used to skin out my deer, on some, I would find things in the neck or spine, consisting of bullets, broadheads, all healed over. No one likes to see this. It is a sad thing, and I feel for the animal. Some things are going to happen. If you think he's miserable, think about the gut shot deer that is left over night to expire. Anyway, I hope someone can help end his problem.

Buckslayer09

Postby Buckslayer09 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:25 pm

It looks like the arrow has hardly any penetration. The reason it might not have fallen out though is because the area around the wound has probably already healed around the broadhead which means the buck might not be in much discomfort at all. If thats the case the buck will definitely survive it will just be annoyed by the arrow.

CoG

Postby CoG » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:33 pm

If he can make it through the infection, he'll probably survive just fine.  Maybe with a limp.  I absolutely HATE to see an arrow sticking out of a deer.  There's a reason I'm not big on bowhunting and don't do it and you're looking at it in these photos. 

Keep us updated on his status!!
-Benny

Next

Return to Photo Corner