2011 Hunt Pictures

Share your photos of trophies and just plain strange deer!
Jslotter

Re: 2011 Hunt Pictures

Postby Jslotter » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:10 pm

JPH wrote:Some great deer! Thanks for posting the photos everyone. I can't be the only one shooting does, can I?

Antlerless hunt in WI Dec.8 - 11th. I will hopefully have one to share. Been having a tough time seeing ANY does this year. Its been all bucks...
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

BIG 8

Postby BIG 8 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:21 pm

Thanks guys. To answer your questions we haven't decided what we're doing with the shoulder mount yet. I say we should split the cost and exchange the mount every year. Im from West central WI.

Congrats on the bucksto you and your group mhouck06! The one with the drop tine is awesome!
Addicted to hunting!!

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:53 pm

thats not a bad idea with the mount!

Thanks alot, it truely was a great trip. All five bucks were taken on public ground. That drop tine buck was pretty special. Rod killed it tuesday... when he went up to it, he noticed the other drop tine was broken off. Regardless it was a great buck.. Once we got the buck out of the woods, we took some pics, celebrated and went to bed. Wednesday, he drove back to PA to cape the buck out himself. That day, I shot my buck. Rod rode back down thursday with ed, one of the guys that was supposed to be on the trip. Ed had got released from work wednesday, he was out in eastern pa restoring power after the snow storm we had gotten. So thursday, Ed went and hunted, Rod and I went back to the kill site of his buck and looked for the other drop. We looked all around where the buck crashed and went down, found nothing. So he said, ill take you up to where I shot him and show how it went down. So after that, we were leaving and noticed a tree that had bark off of it. At first we thought it was a rub, but it really didnt look like one after a closer inspection. Then we noticed some blood on the tree and a gash taken out of it. No sooner did we notice that, Rod looked down in the leaves and there it lay, the other drop. About 45 yards from where the buck died. He must have been running, crashed into the tree and broke it off. We def had some extra help finding that. Middle of the forest, finding a 5 inch drop tine in the leaves...... It was a special moment to have with your hunting buddy. One I will NEVER forget.
Attachments
DSCN1236.JPG
DSCN1236.JPG (95.12 KiB) Viewed 329 times
DSCN1220.JPG
DSCN1220.JPG (95.78 KiB) Viewed 329 times
DSCN1212.JPG
DSCN1212.JPG (86.88 KiB) Viewed 329 times

oletimer

Virginia Deer

Postby oletimer » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:06 pm

P1060916.JPG
P1060916.JPG (57.84 KiB) Viewed 309 times
Been a tough season so far. We had a large deer kill this summer. CWD and hemoragic desease took its toll on our herd. Normally we have trail camera picture of several big buck but not this year. Seem our older deer took it hard, But that said this guy came by Nov. 30th. I almost let him go but needless to say didn't. Hopefully our herd will recupe.
Enjoy everyones picture, Keep them coming.
lead follow or get out of the way

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:50 pm

mhouck06 wrote:All five bucks were taken on public ground.

Rod looked down in the leaves and there it lay, the other drop.

Thats awesome and finding a broken drop tine like you said, remarkable...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:36 pm

I tagged out for gun season Saturday morning here in IL... I was almost not going to go out, but my wife's uncle called and got me out of bed to go sit in the "War Wagon" (an old grain wagon converted into a shooting house) with him. We saw a nice buck moving across the field out of range, then saw him again about a half hour later walking straight down the creek towards us about 300 yards out. I was all lined up on him and waiting for him to get close enough to shoot when he turned off into the creekside... We waited another 20 minutes without seeing him again, so we figured he'd bedded down. I got out of the wagon, climbed down the steep ditch and crossed the creek (finding out I REALLY need to get new waterproof boots) and stalked out through a chisel plowed corn field. I cut back where I figured he would be laying up and stalked all slow and quiet down towards the water. He jumped up about 20 yards in front of me, and I got a shot off as he was running away. I couldn't tell if I'd hit him or not as he just seemed to keep running without any reaction... I hustled back up to the field edge to see if I could get another shot, but he never showed up. I went back down and looked for blood, but couldn't find any. I was kind of disappointed, but since I hadn't seen him come up out of the creek ditch I knew he had to be up ahead somewhere... I started trailing him by his tracks and saw where he'd cut back up onto the bank... A few yards later I looked up and he was laying with all 4 legs underneath him 10 FEET away... I angled around for another shot to finish him and he jumped up... I shot again and hit him low in the lung and the slug traveled up into his spine, which dropped him right there... He has some really cool coloration... a red head, double throat patch, and white spots behind his ears...

2011 gun buck.jpg
2011 gun buck.jpg (48.14 KiB) Viewed 258 times

redhead buck.jpg
redhead buck.jpg (43.65 KiB) Viewed 259 times

double throat patch.jpg
double throat patch.jpg (39.9 KiB) Viewed 259 times

white ears.jpg
white ears.jpg (50.83 KiB) Viewed 259 times
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:12 pm

Beautiful deer Deebz, Congratulations!

Just goes to show you to follow up EVERY shot. You did well!

Bryan78

Postby Bryan78 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:49 pm

Wanderer wrote:This isn't me unfortunately. I was at the hardware store this morning when Dan brought this deer in to get it registered. I guess the big boys are moving around.

When I first looked at the picture I thought those buildings looked familiar then I looked at who posted it then I realized you were outside of Bailey's. I did see that picture posted inside the building when I was checking in my buck. That buck is a hoss now.

Bryan78

Postby Bryan78 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:56 pm

Here are my 2011 Indiana deer:

kellory

Postby kellory » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:03 pm

Deebz wrote:I tagged out for gun season Saturday morning here in IL... I was almost not going to go out, but my wife's uncle called and got me out of bed to go sit in the "War Wagon" (an old grain wagon converted into a shooting house) with him. We saw a nice buck moving across the field out of range, then saw him again about a half hour later walking straight down the creek towards us about 300 yards out. I was all lined up on him and waiting for him to get close enough to shoot when he turned off into the creekside... We waited another 20 minutes without seeing him again, so we figured he'd bedded down. I got out of the wagon, climbed down the steep ditch and crossed the creek (finding out I REALLY need to get new waterproof boots) and stalked out through a chisel plowed corn field. I cut back where I figured he would be laying up and stalked all slow and quiet down towards the water. He jumped up about 20 yards in front of me, and I got a shot off as he was running away. I couldn't tell if I'd hit him or not as he just seemed to keep running without any reaction... I hustled back up to the field edge to see if I could get another shot, but he never showed up. I went back down and looked for blood, but couldn't find any. I was kind of disappointed, but since I hadn't seen him come up out of the creek ditch I knew he had to be up ahead somewhere... I started trailing him by his tracks and saw where he'd cut back up onto the bank... A few yards later I looked up and he was laying with all 4 legs underneath him 10 FEET away... I angled around for another shot to finish him and he jumped up... I shot again and hit him low in the lung and the slug traveled up into his spine, which dropped him right there... He has some really cool coloration... a red head, double throat patch, and white spots behind his ears...

2011 gun buck.jpg

redhead buck.jpg

double throat patch.jpg

white ears.jpg

A beautiful animal, and a job well done. Did you hit him with the first shot, or did he bed down that close to being shot at?
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Corner