Oak Trees

14milecreekbucks

Oak Trees

Postby 14milecreekbucks » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:53 am

Just got finished planting some oak trees with my brother we planted 150 red oaks (mostly for future timber income) and 50 sawtooth oaks. I know deer usually prefer white oaks to red, but I don't know much about the sawtooth oak. My brother said they should start to produce acorns in 5 years best case. Just wondering if anyone out there knows more about them, and could shed some light.
Thanks

Bryan78

RE: Oak Trees

Postby Bryan78 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:03 am

I was always under the impression that it took many years before they started to produce acorns but I guess I was wrong.  But I found some info on the Ohio DNR website for you.  Of course ours sucks and I couldn't find any info.

For Red Oaks:

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/forestry/tre ... fault.aspx

For Sawtooth Oaks:

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/forestry/tre ... fault.aspx

Hope this helps you out.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:10 am

Glad to see that you like the Ohio DNR websites. I use them all the time.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Bryan78

Postby Bryan78 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:37 am

ORIGINAL: Ohio farms

Glad to see that you like the Ohio DNR websites. I use them all the time.

Well that was one of the links Yahoo brought up.  I went to a few other links before I went there and they didn't have the info I was looking for but so I decided to check them out.  But it does look like a nice, well thought and planned out website.  Ours sucks, and it looks cheaply done.

14milecreekbucks

Postby 14milecreekbucks » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:01 pm

Thanks for the links they were helpful. Found this link earlier today that said the trees would likely produce abundant acorn crops in 7 to 10 years. So, my brother may have been right that the trees are able to produce acorns in 5 years just not many. Thanks for the input and info.
www.wildlifemanagement.info/files/sawtooth_oaks_1.pdf

Bryan78

Postby Bryan78 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:07 pm

ORIGINAL: 14milecreekbucks

Thanks for the links they were helpful. Found this link earlier today that said the trees would likely produce abundant acorn crops in 7 to 10 years. So, my brother may have been right that the trees are able to produce acorns in 5 years just not many. Thanks for the input and info.
www.wildlifemanagement.info/files/sawtooth_oaks_1.pdf

Probably alot depends on location and soil type.  It seems though that the southern half of this state is mostly made up of God forsaken clay unlike the northern part which is mostly a sandy soil and good for growing trees.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:42 pm

Thanks for the link . I sent it to my son and told him to get busy planting .
Semper Fi !

14milecreekbucks

Postby 14milecreekbucks » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:18 am

I definately agree with you Bryan78 soil type and ideal rain fall would be the best case senario for the trees. Our land is good most of the county is limestone based and is mostly rual and agriculture base in all outlying areas so hopefully in 6-7 years I'll be able to hear deer muching on acorns some early season morning. Image

Bob Olsen

Postby Bob Olsen » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Bryan, I too have talked with Don Higgins, and I will definitely use his tube shelters when I plant trees. Ask him about his fruit trees.

Return to Indiana