changes coming to Indiana deer seasons

Bryan78

RE: changes coming to Indiana deer seasons

Postby Bryan78 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:38 am

Read on another forum that the DNR is going modify the proposal.  I guess there is a muzzleloader organization with like 3,000 members and that they were pe-od about these changes.  I'm thinking that ML season will probably not change or if so, it would be very little.

Bryan78

Postby Bryan78 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:35 am

Read on another forum and it sounds like they may not endorse the season change after all.  It was reported that there was an overwhelming response to ISR from gun hunters who were OPPOSED to the season changes.

Bryan78

Postby Bryan78 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:21 pm

The NRC voted today to withdraw all the deer proposals and they will come out with a new package in January.

Now I'm sure that they will come out with another set of stupid proposals but will change some things to try and sugar coat it to make it more appealing.  Stay tuned.

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:44 pm

Thankfully, these ridiculous changes are DEAD. Cutting back the firearms and muzzleloader seasons was just more from the same idiots who brought you the OBR, (One Buck Rule). The trophy hunters in the state want Indiana`s seasons to be as much like Illinois as possible, and are slowly working towards bringing those changes about. Never mind the regular guy, who hunts maybe 4 or 5 days a season and who could care less about monster bucks, but just wants to see deer while in the field, and wants venison for his freezer. And don`t even mouth the same old, tired garbage from the trophy guys...."then just shoot does...." Every legal, licensed hunter has the right to shoot a buck....ANY legal, ethically taken buck that makes that hunter happy.......

The DNR has done a horrible job, (whether by design or otherwise), of letting the average guy know about these proposed rule changes, and it`s apparently gonna be up to each of you to keep tabs on the Indiana Deer Hunters Association, and any of the other trophy groups pushing these adverse changes, so you can make your voices heard and have a say in what YOUR deer hunting is gonna look like.

Dean Weimer, a supposed outdoor writer, is a proponent of much of these changes, which take hunting opportunity away from the working guy, and he uses his articles to push his opinions as truth.......just as with politics, the Indiana deer hunter is going to have to follow the issues, keep tabs on the IDNR, and make sure you`re opinions are heard, or you`ll be hunting under the trophy guys regulations and seasons.
Greg Russell

The Second Amendment, America`s Original Homeland Security

Bryan78

Postby Bryan78 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:08 pm

ORIGINAL: hunter480

Thankfully, these ridiculous changes are DEAD. Cutting back the firearms and muzzleloader seasons was just more from the same idiots who brought you the OBR, (One Buck Rule). The trophy hunters in the state want Indiana`s seasons to be as much like Illinois as possible, and are slowly working towards bringing those changes about. Never mind the regular guy, who hunts maybe 4 or 5 days a season and who could care less about monster bucks, but just wants to see deer while in the field, and wants venison for his freezer. And don`t even mouth the same old, tired garbage from the trophy guys...."then just shoot does...." Every legal, licensed hunter has the right to shoot a buck....ANY legal, ethically taken buck that makes that hunter happy.......

The DNR has done a horrible job, (whether by design or otherwise), of letting the average guy know about these proposed rule changes, and it`s apparently gonna be up to each of you to keep tabs on the Indiana Deer Hunters Association, and any of the other trophy groups pushing these adverse changes, so you can make your voices heard and have a say in what YOUR deer hunting is gonna look like.

Dean Weimer, a supposed outdoor writer, is a proponent of much of these changes, which take hunting opportunity away from the working guy, and he uses his articles to push his opinions as truth.......just as with politics, the Indiana deer hunter is going to have to follow the issues, keep tabs on the IDNR, and make sure you`re opinions are heard, or you`ll be hunting under the trophy guys regulations and seasons.

I agree 100% Greg.  What kills me is guys like Joe Bacon (President of IDHA) owns like 1200 acres in Jefferson County (or somewhere down that way from a guy I work with that knows him well).  If that is the only place you hunt at then why the fudge care what goes on in the rest of this state.  The way I see it is, if you want to shoot big monster bucks, then buy all the land you can and manage it that way but don't force guys like you and me and the majority of hunters in this state to hunt your way.

I read over on his website that guys knew people that were contacting the General Assembly and Governor if these proposals would have passed.  This fight is probably not over by a long shot and we must pay attention and notify hunters since the DNR does a horrible job informing people.

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:15 pm

Yes, Mr. Bacon and I have a mutual dislike for one another.....and I have no clue why he is determined to push Indiana into the hunting seasons to mirror Illinois, or why he has the trophy hunting mentality, but he does indeed have it, and unfortunately, some, apparently influential people listen to his group.

I`m trying to get the ear of the IDNR, but good luck with that, eh?
Greg Russell

Bryan78

Postby Bryan78 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:05 pm

Yes, Mr. Bacon and I have a mutual dislike for one another.....and I have no clue why he is determined to push Indiana into the hunting seasons to mirror Illinois, or why he has the trophy hunting mentality, but he does indeed have it, and unfortunately, some, apparently influential people listen to his group.

What Mr. Bacon and others who supported these changes fail to comprehend is what I have gather from this website that all the big deer you see on TV killed, were killed on big game ranches and outfitters.  I was told that most deer you see in Iowa or Illinois are not any different then ours here. 

So emulate their seasons I don't know.  But this year I have seen more Bucks and bigger ones then I have ever seen before.  So this tells me that this state must be doing something right.

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:36 pm

ORIGINAL: Bryan78

What Mr. Bacon and others who supported these changes fail to comprehend is what I have gather from this website that all the big deer you see on TV killed, were killed on big game ranches and outfitters.  I was told that most deer you see in Iowa or Illinois are not any different then ours here. 

So emulate their seasons I don't know.  But this year I have seen more Bucks and bigger ones then I have ever seen before.  So this tells me that this state must be doing something right.

Right you are.....and Indiana has been a sweet secret for many years. We`ve had many, many bucks in both books, long before the so called, OBR.

But more than that, deer hunting shouldn`t be an industry. It should be the same tradation of friends and family in the deer woods, and wonderful venison on our tables. I believe we demean and take away from what it really is about when we make it an industry.

That`s just me though.
Greg Russell

Bryan78

Postby Bryan78 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:42 pm

Right you are.....and Indiana has been a sweet secret for many years. We`ve had many, many bucks in both books, long before the so called, OBR.

But more than that, deer hunting shouldn`t be an industry. It should be the same tradation of friends and family in the deer woods, and wonderful venison on our tables. I believe we demean and take away from what it really is about when we make it an industry.

That`s just me though.

I agree with you 100%.  I hunt for meat and meat alone.  If a monster buck comes by and I am fortunate enough to take him, then it just a bonus then.  But my buddy and I hunt for the joy of it and for the meat.

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:32 am

Bryan78,
The part that I don't understand is the fact that they want us to kill more does, yet a doe license still costs 24 bucks (for the 1st one, then 15 bucks). So some young up and coming deer hunter has to shell out 2 license fees in order to be able to shoot a buck and a doe. Some guys just can't go the extra money. If the DNR really wants to up the doe kill, why don't they let a 'Gun License" cover one antlered buck plus one antlerless deer? Right now I can legally kill 8 does on my leased land in Marshall County and another 8 on my home place in Fulton County. If I were paying for tags, that would be 249 dollars. I usually kill 2 to 3 deer a year. Adding EAB or a special doe season won't up my kill any, nor will it make doe tags any cheaper to buy. This year I'm still trying to fill the one antlerless tag I bought back in early bow season. Who'da thunk it? By the way, if I stay in Fulton County at the home place, all my deer go on landowners permit...no license required. I usually buy an archery license and an antlerless tag to cover my wanderings. If I don't tag out a buck with the bow,(this year is the 1st time since I moved to Indiana in 2007), I'll buy a gun license for that season. ML season I hunt with my antlerless tags or landowner permits. Please keep me in the loop on new proposals. I own my own business which sometimes has me working out of state, but it also allows me to schedule my time, so maybe I can make one of those meetings that you said you can't get to.

PreviousNext

Return to Indiana