changes coming to Indiana deer seasons

Bryan78

RE: changes coming to Indiana deer seasons

Postby Bryan78 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:03 am

ORIGINAL: Wanderer

Bryan78,
The part that I don't understand is the fact that they want us to kill more does, yet a doe license still costs 24 bucks (for the 1st one, then 15 bucks). So some young up and coming deer hunter has to shell out 2 license fees in order to be able to shoot a buck and a doe. Some guys just can't go the extra money. If the DNR really wants to up the doe kill, why don't they let a 'Gun License" cover one antlered buck plus one antlerless deer? Right now I can legally kill 8 does on my leased land in Marshall County and another 8 on my home place in Fulton County. If I were paying for tags, that would be 249 dollars. I usually kill 2 to 3 deer a year. Adding EAB or a special doe season won't up my kill any, nor will it make doe tags any cheaper to buy. This year I'm still trying to fill the one antlerless tag I bought back in early bow season. Who'da thunk it? By the way, if I stay in Fulton County at the home place, all my deer go on landowners permit...no license required. I usually buy an archery license and an antlerless tag to cover my wanderings. If I don't tag out a buck with the bow,(this year is the 1st time since I moved to Indiana in 2007), I'll buy a gun license for that season. ML season I hunt with my antlerless tags or landowner permits. Please keep me in the loop on new proposals. I own my own business which sometimes has me working out of state, but it also allows me to schedule my time, so maybe I can make one of those meetings that you said you can't get to.

I do know that it is being discussed and I do think it will probably happen that DNR will change the Firearm License to a buck or doe on the first license then buck after that then your bonus licenses.  I have also heard that they were throwing around the idea of a bonus antlerless package (3 bonus tags for a very reasonable price).  Your very fortunate to own land that you would not need to buy a license to hunt deer.  And if I was in your position where I had to buy a license to hunt, then I would probably only hunt my land.

The next meeting is January 16th in Indianapolis (probably at Ft. Harrison on the eastside of Indy).  There are going to propose a whole new package and present it for open comments.  I will diffidently keep everyone updated if I hear anything and post links to the DNR site where you can leave a comment.  

hunternaf

RE: changes coming to Indiana deer seasons

Postby hunternaf » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:10 pm

wow jan 16 is going to be a long wait, I will send a protesting letter for any reduction of opportunities to hunt. I enjoy archery, shotgun, rifle in pistol cal, muzzleloader, and crossbow in the late archery. I have only been able to harvest one buck since moving to indiana 5 yrs ago so I usually end up with 3 unused buck licenses. I purchase doe tags for all three of the seasons. Deer hunting or the ability to sit in a tree watching nature forces me to give the state 150.00 per year so they can tell me how, when, and what type of equipment I can use to pusue me enjoyment
I have ate turtle, squirrel, rabbit, woodchuck, porcipine, bear, wild boar, frog legs, buffalo, oystrage, conch,and aligator, so far nothing taste like chicken, come to think of it my home grown chickens do not even taste like store bought chicken

Previous

Return to Indiana