October 31st - Just Tricks and No Treats

8uck5nort

October 31st - Just Tricks and No Treats

Postby 8uck5nort » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:24 am

I got out Saturday early afternoon. Wind was pretty stiff out of the WSW running gust up to 20 mph until that evening when they just died. I decided to still hunt through a small patch of woods. Lots of standing corn as it has been raining frequently and often this past week keeping the farmers out of the fields.

I bumped one small buck when I was galssing some underbrush. I put down the binos just in time to see him vacate the area... So much for using binos in the woods. I would not have had a shot on him anyway plus I am shopping for something a bit bigger. He did not wind me so I imagine he will be back. I did find a small scrape and a small rub in two separate places. I have witnessed no chasing yet or any other pre-rut activity for that matter.

Moon was so bright Saturday and Sunday you could clearly see moon shadows. I think alot of activity is occuring under the moonlight and in the uncut cornfields. Just not seeing the same activity as I was last year during this time.

Oh well, I am on vacation starting this Saturday and things should really start to pick up. At least I can put the hours in the stand with no schedule conflicts keeping me out of the woods for a change. 13 straight days of deer hunting bliss here I come!
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

djohns13

RE: October 31st - Just Tricks and No Treats

Postby djohns13 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:41 am

I agree. Halloween was a cold, hard knocks day for me. For the first time ever, I have not yet seen a deer of any kind this entire season in my honey hole. Halloween was no exception as I saw nothing but trees swaying in the wind. My nephew did shoot a 125 lb doe that was working scrape. She urinated in it and rubbed the licking branch all over her face. He waited until she left the scrape and then he put a great double lung shot on her. 30 yards later she hit the ground. As usual, she ran away from the truck instead of toward it
Darren Johnson
Internet Pro Staff Member - Indiana

Glad to talk to all of you, but I'd rather be sitting in a tree stand on a cool morning trying not to move so that the bruiser buck directly below me doesn't figure out that I am watching him!

Return to Indiana