How has your bow season been. Mine has been tough.

8uck5nort

How has your bow season been. Mine has been tough.

Postby 8uck5nort » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:56 am

Hope everyone else is having better luck than I.

Opening weekend. Oct 1st and 2nd

Friday night shot and hit a decent buck at about 20 yards in the evening. No blood, no arrow and it rained that evening following morning after I decided to back out since I had nothing to go on. Came back next morning and found arrow with one lone white hair plastered to one of my vanes. Not a trace could be found of the deer.

Saturday evening different spot. Had another buck come at about 15 to 20 yards He was a little smaller than the prior one but respectable for around here. He caught me moving and locked up behind a small sapling hiding hsi vitals with me holding my draw. I held and held. He finally took about a half step and I shot. I though I put a good hit on himt. Got down and again no blood, no arrow, and getting dark again. Backed out and came back next day with help to look. Discovered I had grazed the sapling. Found a few spots of blood, but no arrow. Eventually kicked him up on way out to truck. He will live to see another day as it looked to be a shoulder wound.

Two weekends later. Last Sunday.

Sunday evening. Had two does come in and stand about 30 - 35 yards out perfect broadside. I over thought the situation cause I was still feeling the sting from the experience with the bucks. I decided to let the does walk. However, as luck would have it one of them turned and took the exit trail I was set up on. Bad thing was she passed directly beneath me. I decided to try for the spine shot I have been practicing for the last two years. Nailed her in the neck just forward of the shoulder... She bolted and ran with arrow sticking out. What a bone headed move. I will never do that again. Needless to say no arrow, no blood and again no deer. To top it off there is/was a doe running around with an arrow sticking out of her neck. Sigh....

Last two years I knocked everything down I shot with some very good pass throughs... This year I suck and now it is affecting my better judgement. I hate that I lost a mortally wounded deer because my confidence is in shambles. I practice frequently and often in the off season. So I am not a lazy hunter. I am taking this weekend off from hunting and spending some time in FLA on vacation with my wife. I sure hope whatever is going on works its way out of my system for my sake and the deers.

Ok, I'll stop whining now.
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

Return to Indiana