Roll Call

hunter480

RE: Roll Call

Postby hunter480 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:16 pm

Incredible deer! Nice.

Congratulations on such a beautiful animal running your ground, whether you take him or not.

I`m in Putnam County, just one County east of you when you`re in Parke.

Keep us all posted on how you do this season.

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:08 am

Here is my doe from last Saturday. She is my biggest doe harvested to date.

Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:13 pm

[font=calibri]Hello all and hope this finds all doing well.[/font]
[font=calibri] [/font]
[font=calibri]I got out again Saturday. Starting weather conditions were winds N-NE at 0-5 mph and starting temps at 39 degrees. Made up to 65 and stayed sunny. I could not ask for a more beautiful day.[/font]
[font=calibri] [/font]
[font=calibri]I started in morning behind my grandma's place on the family farm. It is my first crack at the possible P&Y I caught on my trail cam. (I got pictures posted in journal). Unfortunately he didn't bother to show. I was trying something new. I got a Gorilla sheet blind that goes up to about 40' or so. I tucked in behind a big tree with thickets surrounding it.  Made myself a little cubby on the downwind side of the tree lot about 5 yards of the main trail into the wood where this particular deer had been photographed.[/font]
[font=calibri] [/font]
[font=calibri]The day wore and it got warmer and I got sleepy and hungry. So I backed out for lunch and a visit to my grandma. Take a nap.[/font]
[font=calibri] [/font]
[font=calibri]Got back into woods at about 3 pm and since I didn't see anything I decided to bring my climber and see if I couldn't catch the buck coming up from the swampy area on the other side of the tree lot. I also set up my drip bottle and created a mock scrape near some rub marks on trees that hopefully by the time next Saturday rolls around will give me a shot at one of the larger bucks on the property.[/font]
[font=calibri] [/font]
[font=calibri] I bumped a small buck that had slipped in while I was out to lunch while I was looking for a suitable tree for my climber. Not one I would have taken a shot at. It was nice to see a deer. Not five minutes after settling in I heard then saw my cousin and uncle pull into the adjacent bean field with combines and semi. It was time to pick beans. The corn field that is on the other two sides will not be picked for another couple of weeks. The noise and activity of the combines probably shut down the movement into this wood lot, but I did not mind it was still nice to be outdoors on such a great evening.[:)][/font]

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:28 pm

Lot`s of beans being cut here in Putnam County. I even saw a corn field being cut as I drove home from work this afternoon.

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:44 am

Yeah harvest is cranking up, especially when it's been dry. This rain we are having today should slow that down. I'm hoping the corn stays up cause the deer will be concetrated in the wood lots adjoing standing corn. To me it makes it easier to set up just about 10 - 15 yards downwind on a well used trail and catch deer coming into the wooded areas to bed. This has worked well for me in the last couple of years. Doesn't mean I always get a shot, but at least I am seeing deer fairly consistently.

joker1656

Postby joker1656 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:31 am

North Eastern Indiana here.  Allen County to be precise.  Hunt a very small parcel that I own, some public, and some more private land owned by friends.  I Enjoy the hunt as much as the harvest. 

I hunt primarily muzzleloader, and bow now days.  Muzzleloader because I enjoy it, and due to the longer season.  Bow, just because I have enjoyed it so much in the past, and hope to this season.  I have hunted/harvested with handgun, and really enjoyed it.  Due to wheeling and dealing I don't currently own a hunting handgun. 

I am really just diving back into avid bowhunting.  I just purchased a used Matthew Drenalin.  I love the bow.  It has been quite a few years since I have had the time/funds to really focus on my archery skills. 

The last bow I was really pleased with was almost 18 yrs ago.  It was a Browning Mirage.  I shot instinctive and fingers back then.  I sold that and gave archery up due to time and marriage constraints, at that time.  I, over the years, have owned an XI impact, and a Fred Bear TRX.  Neither of these bows suited me, so I failed to really commit. 

I had researched and handled numerous bows over the last couple of years.  I pined away for a bow that I could love.  The Matthews bow came along for half the price of new, even tho' it was less than a year old, and I was smitten.  I had shot Matthews and drooled for some time.  It is great to finally be back in the saddle. 

I converted to a release, and pins.  I was too proud to fall for the "hype".  Too proud to admit that my lethargy had caused my skills to wane considerably.  But, having converted, I wonder what took me so long.  I am amazed at the accuracy and precision I can squeeze out of my equipment now.  Although, I have some skill, it is the equipment, not me.  I think a blind guy could shoot this thing well. 

Anyway, my point is, I am dying to get into my stand with this bow.  I am confident beyond my wildest imagination with it.  The deer deserve a well placed quick killing shot.  I know that is what they will get.  I haven't even taken shots for a long time, because I wasn't sure I could deliver.  I know I can now, and am looking forward to a great season. 

The corn is being picked as I type.  Seeing the fields ready for, or being harvested always causes an increase in my heart rate.  The chill in the air, and the bright colors in the woods give way to a rush of endorphins.  Sitting in the stand and hearing the grunt of any size whitetail buck sends such a dump of adrenaline that I am addicted.  Combine all of these occurences/experiences with a bit of sunlight, and I am nearly in heaven.  I love this time of year.

I know I rambled, but .... what the heck, I do that sometimes.  [;)] 

I hope everyone has a great INDIANA season.  We get overlooked sometimes, but we all know that there are some giants out here.  I, for one, don't mind keeping it a bit of a secret.  lol.  Although, if I harvest the buck I have been hoping to, I won't be able to keep that a secret.  [:)]Good luck to all!       

trophyhunter1980

Postby trophyhunter1980 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:31 am

Justin Stump
Northeast Indiana, Noble County.
I hunt privately owned land. Using a bow, shotgun, muzzleloader.

smudd55

Postby smudd55 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:04 am

Shaun Mudd from Kosciusko County in the northern part of the state.  Harvested my first buck last year and looking to repeat. The trailcam tells me they are out there.  Good luck to all.

Ehumes83

Postby Ehumes83 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:21 pm

Erick from St. joseph county here. first post and first year with a bow. have already harvested 2 antlerless so far. and hoping for my first ever buck. much luck to all that hunt in the great state of Indiana.
E

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:54 am

Russ Mann here in north central Indiana. I live in Fulton County and hunt the home place and three other farms in Marshall county. I just got back into bow hunting last year after an 18 year hiatus. I managed to kill a six point with my new Diamond Rock on Nov 1st last year. I also hunt shotgun, handgun (TC Contender in 44 mag), and muzzleloader. We just picked the corn Tues/Wed of this week so I can finally see deer around the house. Been laying off hunting much due to all the high winds and rain this past week. Looking forward to getting back into a tree this weekend.

PreviousNext

Return to Indiana