My First Deer w/ Dad.

8uck5nortJr

My First Deer w/ Dad.

Postby 8uck5nortJr » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:36 am

On Setptember 26, 2009 I went out with my Dad to go Youth Deer Hunting. My weapon of choice was a CVA Wolf Muzzeloader. We went out in my Grandpa's woods at 6:30 in the morning in a double tree stand. It got to about 9:00 in the morning and we saw nothing but raccons and squirreles.

So I decide that we pack up and go home because we had somewhere to go. As we start to leave I was wondering where to hunt next, so Dad decides to give me the tour of where the good spots are. Then as he starts to explain about the new patch of woods that we got permission to hunt in, he sees three deer in that new patch of woods. So I decide that we go and stalk the deer into the new patch of woods.

So first we had to cross a massive bean field to get to the woods. As we get near we slowed our fast walk to a slow walk. We get to the woods and what do you know thorns lots of thons. So we have to find a differnt way into the woods, and as we do that I was looking for the deer and coulde't see them.

As were moving I see a small tree branch bend down and come back up. I said to myself thats not normal. Then I see the deer's head pop up, then another deer head popped up. I was about 10 to 15 yards away from the deer, and they didn't know I was their. I didn't see the third deer, but one thing was in my mind. NO CLEAR SHOT! Both deer were behind lots of cover and they kept bringing their heads up and down. Then one of the deer came out in the clear and the other was going into the woods. So I brought up the gun and aimed at the doe in the clearing and shot the deer. It ran into the bean field and went down somewhere. We went looking for it and I found it in the bean field. My first deer, my first hunt, and a great story to tell.

Written by:
Matthew Westerhouse

Goose

RE: My First Deer w/ Dad.

Postby Goose » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:26 am

Mathew, thank you for sharing the story with us! Congrats on your first deer! Thats awesome!
Appreciate that moment with your father, it is a special time in the woods, and its great to look back on.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:49 am

Great story...Sure you'll be remembering this the rest of your life!
QDM!

paulie

Postby paulie » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:59 am

Congradulations 'little' brother, great story!! Looks like that 'new patch of woods' paid off for ya[;)] Look forward to seein some pics.

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:12 pm

Matthew, what an exciting hunt! Thanks for sharing your story. I hope you have many more to share with us in the future! Congratulations on your 1st deer! You did great! I bet Dad is real proud of you!
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

smudd55

Postby smudd55 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:58 am

Great story.  Memories in the field beat out almost any other kind of memory.

Return to Indiana