Changes for 2009?

djohns13

Changes for 2009?

Postby djohns13 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:38 am

Well Hoosiers, I hope all is going well for you now that the deer season is over.   I have been focusing on beaver trapping and some work issues as well as time with the family.  My company is in the middle of a massive reorganization (cost-cutting) that will cost many of my friends their jobs.  At this point I look safe but it is not official yet.  Once the dust settles from this, I am going to focus on changes I need to make for 2009's deer season.  I intend on a new sight and string/cable for the bow, along with more shooting time with the bow and rifle.  Additionally, I want to get back to doing trail camera work to find where the deer have moved to.  This data will lead to a lot of stand moves so that I am back in the thick of them.  Additionally I am considering planting some foodplots inside the woods to try to keep them in my area more.

What changes, if any, are you planning for 2009?

Thanks.
Darren Johnson
Internet Pro Staff Member - Indiana

Glad to talk to all of you, but I'd rather be sitting in a tree stand on a cool morning trying not to move so that the bruiser buck directly below me doesn't figure out that I am watching him!

8uck5nort

RE: Changes for 2009?

Postby 8uck5nort » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:42 am

I work for a small IT consulting firm and do a lot of work for the small to medium sized manufacturing businesses in our area and they have been taking a royal beating lately. My company is as slow as I can remember in the 10 years I have worked for them so I know what you mean. hang in there it has to turn around sooner or later (Hopefully sooner).

As my grandfather used to say, "It is recession when someone else loses their job, it's a depression when you lose yours". Words ring true now more than ever. He was part of the generation that lived through a depression. Really wished he was still around to get some advice.

Anyway, I have already been in and talked with the pro shop about changing my rest on my bow. The fibers on my WB are starting to wear and bend on one side. I was thinking of going with a Octane Hostage or Hostage Pro (really depends on budget).

I am also looking to add either a marlin 44 mag lever action or a single shot 44 mag (Rossi or Handi Rifle), but I am having a hard time parting with that much money just now.

I picked up a new 15' ladder stand after Christmas and need to find a good place to put it. My cousin bought 17 acres of wooded ground about 2 miles south east of the Camp Buffalo and was talking about clearing about 100 ft along a fence row and planting a food plot. I offered to help with the labor and expenses so I hope he takes me up on it. Will have a place for the deer stand then.

I am moving a permanent stand to my cousins property in Tippecanoe county for the early urban season and may halp with some dead tree removal that has affected how the deer move. He may let me plant a food plot as well. I am going to try and pick up another trail camera and get them out much earlier.

Last, but not least, a digital camera so I don't hve to wait for a roll film to be finished off before I can get my pics. Maybe even figure out how to mount to gun or bow so I can use as a ad-hoc movie/still shot to show my adventures.
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

djohns13

Postby djohns13 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:57 am

Sounds like a good plan.  As I have told you previously, I took my only deer this year less than a mile from Camp Buffalo and I really love that area.  My buck was following a doe who was working her way into a clover plot that my buddy planted along a fence row.

I got great news today that my job is secure, however, some of my friends will not be so lucky.  It is hard to be ecstatic for my family while I know theirs will suffer.  I guess that is why they call it survivor's guilt.

I have a Marlin model 1894 lever action .44 that I dearly love.  I put a 3-9 scope on it with see through rings so that I can use the iron sights up close.  I know it is a little pricey but if you can afford it, you won't be disappointed.

Good luck with the plans for the 2009 seasons, they will be here before you know it.
Darren Johnson
Internet Pro Staff Member - Indiana

Glad to talk to all of you, but I'd rather be sitting in a tree stand on a cool morning trying not to move so that the bruiser buck directly below me doesn't figure out that I am watching him!

John1961

Postby John1961 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:19 am

I bought a 44mag Marlin last year. Put a 3x9x40 scope on it. Not expencive but works very well. All my deer rifles are Marlin lever actions. I also hunt in Maryland and there I use a marlin 30-30 and a 35cal. 
John
U.S. Army Retired and Proud American
Black Water Hunting Club
" BUY AMERICAN "

2tonyb

Postby 2tonyb » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:02 pm

I don't plan on a whole lot of changes, but I do want to get a couple of new stands up at new locations.  Locations will depend on what gets planted where.  Will probably get my trail cams out earlier than last year.

Return to Indiana