Very Strange......

hunter480

Very Strange......

Postby hunter480 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:28 am

It`s been a very strange year in Indiana so far this deer season. My sightings are down, and so far, no tag notched. I`m hunting in eastern Putnam County, and am far enough away, (I think), from the worst hit areas of the EHD outbreak, that our local herd shouldn`t be affected. That being said, I`m at a loss to explain the lower deer sightings.

My nephew on the other hand, hunts in Own County, near Poland, and in recent years past, they`ve killed some bruiser bucks, and have always been nearly tripping over does. He tells me that so far this season, they`ve seen ZERO deer. That`s unheard of where he`s at. I`m beginning to wonder if the DNR hasn`t downplayed exactly how severe the EHD outbreak was in the hardest hit areas. After all, tags won`t be sold if there are no deer to hunt.

Fortunately, (if there are any deer around), Indiana`s muzzleloader season opens this Saturday, Dec. 6, and runs thru Dec. 21. I`m heading to the range as soon as possible, but likely won`t be until this Saturday, so I`ll miss opening day of muzzleloader. I hope to work up a load for my Knight Disc Extreme with the new Black Horn 209 black powder substitute. I`ve traded emails with Toby Bridges, and he tells me it`s everything it`s advertised, so I`m excited about getting it done.

Here`s hoping the deer are more visible/plentiful during the next 2 1/2 weeks, and that we can get a tag notched. The freezer`s empty.

trophyhunter1980

RE: Very Strange......

Postby trophyhunter1980 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:04 pm

I hunt in Noble County in NE Indiana and I have been fortunate enough to take a doe and decent buck. However I agree with what you are saying about lack of deer sightings. I normally see a ton of deer and this year I have seen very few compaired to years past. 
www.facebook.com/badappleoutdoors

NRA LIFE MEMBER

WHITETAILS UNLIMITED LIFE MEMBER

NORTH AMERICAN HUNTING CLUB LIFE MEMBER

djohns13

Postby djohns13 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:29 am

Greg, as you know from my previous posts that my sightings in Hendricks County this year have really been down.  In the last two weeks, however, things have really heated up for the other hunters on the property besides me.  We have had a 12 pointer, a 9 pointer that scored 142, an 8, a 6 and 7 does killed in the two weeks or so.  I don't have a good handle on why such a change but early in the season we were thinking that EHD had hit us hard as well.

Hopefully the late season will bear fruit for you and your hunting partners.

Good shooting.
Darren Johnson
Internet Pro Staff Member - Indiana

Glad to talk to all of you, but I'd rather be sitting in a tree stand on a cool morning trying not to move so that the bruiser buck directly below me doesn't figure out that I am watching him!

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:57 am

I hope my partner and I see our fortunes turn around like your group has Darren. It`s been frustrating, and this is the first time in a long time, that I`ve gone through early archery season and firearms season without at least one deer down.

Hopefully as in your case, things will pick up here.

djohns13

Postby djohns13 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:26 pm

I will be hoping for you and your partners Greg.  Keep us posted.

Good shooting.
Darren Johnson
Internet Pro Staff Member - Indiana

Glad to talk to all of you, but I'd rather be sitting in a tree stand on a cool morning trying not to move so that the bruiser buck directly below me doesn't figure out that I am watching him!

roperc

Postby roperc » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:50 am

Yes, I agree the numbers are definetly down in southern indiana as well, we have found several dead deer early in september near the water sources. Shot a nice 150" buck but normally see 4 to 5 bucks of this size, not this year and I've researched with several other hunters with the same results. I think we are seeing results of the midge this year and likely to see some of the same next year, hopefully not!!

Return to Indiana