Do you hunt with a PCR?

hunter480

Do you hunt with a PCR?

Postby hunter480 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:44 am

Indiana, in the very recent past, passed a measure allowing Hoosiers the opportunity to deer hunt with Pistol Cartridge Rifles, (PCR`s). This was a huge step, since Indiana deer hunters have been limited to slug guns, muzzleloaders, or rifle cartridges in handguns such as Contenders.

Myself, I was fortunate enough to obtain a quality, used, Winchester 94, in .44 Mag, just days before Winchester stopped making them.

To make it even sweeter, Hornady began offering the LeveRevolution ammo in .357, and .44 Mag. I`ve yet to find any on the shelf in the Indianapolis area, but I`m searching for it, as, after reading the ballistics of the ammo, I`m certain it will be a superior bullet in a sweet, short range deer rifle.

So, how many of you fellow Hoosiers have jumped onto the PCR bandwagon? Wheter for you, or a spouse, or a child?

Let us hear from you!

trapperDave

RE: Do you hunt with a PCR?

Postby trapperDave » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:07 am

Not much for bandwagons myself. If I still had one, I would use it(a little) I prefer the stick n string. Since they passed the law, you cant afford to buy one anymore :D
"Democracy is a lamb and two wolves voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin

djohns13

Postby djohns13 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:14 am

I hunted opening day of firearm season last year with my Marlin 1894 in .44 Magnum.  Great shooting cowboy rifle that feels really good.  About 9:30 in the morning I took a 5.5 year old doe that weighed in at 170 pounds.  She was bigger than the 8 pointer my nephew had taken just a few minutes before.  I will still do 90% of my hunting with a bow, but I love my rifle too.

Good shooting.
Darren Johnson
Internet Pro Staff Member - Indiana

Glad to talk to all of you, but I'd rather be sitting in a tree stand on a cool morning trying not to move so that the bruiser buck directly below me doesn't figure out that I am watching him!

rudy1969

Postby rudy1969 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:33 pm

[font="times new roman"]Let me begin my saying if it is a legal weapon then anyone has the right to use it.  I am somewhat apprehensive about using the "cowboy loads" for deer hunting unless the shooter knows the limitations of the weapon.  Comparing Remington ballistics on a 44 mag - 275 gr. core-loct bullet and a Remington 20 ga. 260 gr. ultra bonded sabot the 20 ga. has almost 500 more pounds of energy at the muzzle.  But, a well placed bullet from the 44 mag. will easily and cleanly kill a deer up to and including 100 yards.  I personally hunt with a TC Contender II in the 45 Long Colt but never take a shot over 35 yards. I think Indiana is moving in the right direction in trying new methods to increase the interest of hunters and the PCRs are much easier on the shoulder for ladies and youths.  PCR hunters should know the limitaions of the firearm they are using, these are not 270's and 30-06's used by our friends to the south.[/font] 

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:54 am

ORIGINAL: djohns13

I hunted opening day of firearm season last year with my Marlin 1894 in .44 Magnum.  Great shooting cowboy rifle that feels really good.  About 9:30 in the morning I took a 5.5 year old doe that weighed in at 170 pounds.  She was bigger than the 8 pointer my nephew had taken just a few minutes before.  I will still do 90% of my hunting with a bow, but I love my rifle too.

Too cool! I believe that was partly the intent of the measure, to allow additional opportunities for deer to be killed.

I`m more a Winchester guy than a Marlin, but I understand the Marlins are great rifles.

Myself, I have a Winchester 94 in .44 mag. I`ve yet to take it afield, but plan to this upcoming season.

You`ll share, if you kill a deer with that rifle this season I hope.

Good shooting.
Greg Russell

The Second Amendment, America`s Original Homeland Security

djohns13

Postby djohns13 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:17 am

Love to see both of us talking about .44 magnum kills this season.  If the season goes the way I want, I will just be rounding out my doe harvest by gun season.

Good shooting.
Darren Johnson
Internet Pro Staff Member - Indiana

Glad to talk to all of you, but I'd rather be sitting in a tree stand on a cool morning trying not to move so that the bruiser buck directly below me doesn't figure out that I am watching him!

Return to Indiana