Okay Fellow Hoosiers

hunter480

Okay Fellow Hoosiers

Postby hunter480 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:24 am

Okay fellow Hoosiers-Deer season is rapidly bearing down on us, and it`s time to look over the 2008/09 deer hunting seasons and opportunities.

Early archery season runs from October 1, to November 30.
Firearms season runs from November 15, to November 30.
Muzzleloader season runs from December 6, to December 21.
Late archery season runs from December 6, to January 4, 2009.

For this, and other hunting  and regulation related information, you can check out the IDNR website at http://www.in.gov/dnr/

Wax those bow strings, get the targets ready, and review your form tips-DON`T squeeze your bow handle, kisser button in the corner of the mouth, string on the same place on the nose, bow arm slightly bent, squeeze, DON`T slap your release trigger, and follow thru after the shot-don`t drop your bow arm until the arrow hits the target!

Lastly, make certain, you absolutely have razer-sharp broadheads for hunting. Sharp broadheads make for quicker, cleaner kills, which require a lot less tracking, plus, the animals deserve the quicket, least painful kill we can make.

Good luck Hoosiers!
Greg Russell

The Second Amendment, America`s Original Homeland Security

stumpsitter66

RE: Okay Fellow Hoosiers

Postby stumpsitter66 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:33 am

I am not a hoosier but I read all the posts anyway. Great post and message about using sharp broadheads. This can never be emphasized enough. It is the number one key to effective bowhunting in my opinion. I really like this website because it seems like you all are really serious and respectfull hunters! SS-66

djohns13

Postby djohns13 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:17 am

Good advice Greg, I am a stickler for razor sharpness as I have seen what a huge difference it makes in penetration, blood trails and the distance the deer goes after the hit.

I personally recommend Montec G5s that you have further honed the finish after purchasing but I also hunt with thunder heads.  Lots of quality heads out there but we all need to learn how to sharpen them also.

Good shooting.
Darren Johnson
Internet Pro Staff Member - Indiana

Glad to talk to all of you, but I'd rather be sitting in a tree stand on a cool morning trying not to move so that the bruiser buck directly below me doesn't figure out that I am watching him!

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:05 am

ORIGINAL: djohns13

Good advice Greg, I am a stickler for razor sharpness as I have seen what a huge difference it makes in penetration, blood trails and the distance the deer goes after the hit.

I personally recommend Montec G5s that you have further honed the finish after purchasing but I also hunt with thunder heads.  Lots of quality heads out there but we all need to learn how to sharpen them also.

Good shooting.

My hunting partner and I attended an International Bow Hunters Course, and they had a fairly simple demonstration, that really made a huge impression on me in regards to broadhead sharpness. Maybe you`ve seen this....

They had a wood block, with green rubberbands wound tightly around narrow wooden posts. They had a dull broadhead on an arrow shaft, and stuck it into the maze of rubberbands, which in case you don`t realize, represent blood vessels and arteries. The dull broadhead simply pushed by the rubberbands. The same thing was done with a razer -sharp broadhead, and you could hear the sounds of the taunt rubberbands popping as the broadheat sliced thru them.

Knowing that unlike a bullet wound, which kills by inflicting traumatic shock to the animals system, a broadhead kills by virtually bleeding the animal out, this made quite an impression me. You can`t bleed an animal out if your broadhead isn`t slicing blood vessels.

It was a great course, and I learned a lot, but especially about the broadheads.
Greg Russell

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:08 am

ORIGINAL: stumpsitter66

I am not a hoosier but I read all the posts anyway. Great post and message about using sharp broadheads. This can never be emphasized enough. It is the number one key to effective bowhunting in my opinion. I really like this website because it seems like you all are really serious and respectfull hunters! SS-66

Welcome aboard SS-66. Great to have you.
Greg Russell

rudy1969

Postby rudy1969 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:43 pm

Great advice for novices and seasoned hunters.  Bow season is rapidly approaching and dreams of big bucks are in all hunters minds.  I live in te southwestern part of the state and we have very liberal bag limits.  Much different from when I first started hunting in 1967.  Indiana is becoming a state with many deer hunting opportunites with our liberal season lengths and bag limits.  I do wish we would provide our youth hunters with more chances to experience the outdoors and our sport of hunting.  Our sport's future depends on the youth of today.

rudy1969

Postby rudy1969 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:58 pm

Greg,
My son and I both attended a bow hunter education class several years ago.  They used a similar demonstration comparing cut on contact magnus broadhead and a thunderhead.  They used a very thin piece of rubber streached across a coffe can.  The can was placed on a bathroom scales and we measured how much down pressure was needed to break the membrane.  The cut on contact needed four pounds of pressure and the non cut on contact required fifteen pounds of pressure.  I now use cut on contact broadheads.

Return to Indiana