What deer see

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Sailfish

What deer see

Postby Sailfish » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:22 am

Anyone know where the article or link or thread is to the deer eye study?
What colors they see, don't see, how they see etc?
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Woods Walker

Re: What deer see

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:22 pm

http://www.colblindor.com/coblis-color- ... simulator/

This what you're looking for? Shaman posted this a while back.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:31 pm

No not that.
It was a whole article explaining the rods cones, night vision, UV potential etc
I found something similiar online at F&S but that wasn't the one.

I'll keep searching.

kellory

Postby kellory » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:45 pm

Sailfish, is this what you are looking for?
http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/archive/ ... 09883.aspx
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:14 am

No but thata pretty neat.

My primary reason was..........wondering what all black would appear to a deer. Assuming one had decent cover, and break-up
The above article did touch on that the newer patterns utilize blue black white and grey to full their eyes.

kellory

Postby kellory » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:52 pm

I use all black when I am blind hunting, or when it is brutal cold. Black is the only color Carrhartt Artic Extreems come in. They are actually too warm to be walking around in, and they can only be vented at the chest zipper and the full length leg zippers, but for sitting long hours in the snow covered blind, they do nicely. They are also water proof(more or less) and brier proof. Camo is useless in a blind. I will also still hunt, backstopped by a large tree trunk.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:05 pm

Color doesn't matter as long as you don't shine or move. SHAPE is far more important. You can have the best de$igner camo in the world but if you have a human outline they will identify you as just that.

That's why one of the best things you can do if you are out in the open and you see deer is to get on your knees. That helps hide the human form. Wearing a hood or headpiece that obscures the shape of the head and shoulders also helps a great deal, and the headpiece idea is one of the things that make ghillie suits so effective. The Shaggie Boonie Hood in the photo would be just as effective regardless of what color it was.
booneyhoodwmaskgoodfull.jpg
booneyhoodwmaskgoodfull.jpg (108.41 KiB) Viewed 1581 times
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:46 am

Woods Walker wrote:Color doesn't matter as long as you don't shine or move. SHAPE is far more important. You can have the best de$igner camo in the world but if you have a human outline they will identify you as just that.
]

Yeah i agree shape is crucial, movement shiny etc
I think we've known for years that camo only fools the human eye.
Just couldn't recall what black would "look" like to their eyes.

hot tamale

Postby hot tamale » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:08 am

I disagree with deer wont see you if you dont move.
years ago i was busted sooooooo many times when I didnt move. It wasnt my smell as the wind was blowing in my face at 10 mph.
then I found this stuff- http://www.atsko.com/products/uv-protec ... iller.html

This UV killer did the trick for me and I have harvested animals ever since.

It's not expensive and it really works. I swear by it.
go to the link above and click on the DVD down on the left side of the page. there is a video you can watch to see how a deer sees, it explains the Rod to Cone ration in deer and a lot of other great things.

I wouldnt recommend any product that I didnt think 100% works. I am not getting paid or anything like that so this is my honest to goodness theory of what works in the deer woods.

Just a quick overview of the video. what they are saying is that a lot of the camo and blaze orange out on the market are impregnated with UV brighteners.
As many things on the store shelf, this is so we think the patterns are cool and the camo companies are selling to our vision, not to what a deer sees.

For about $15 bucks, you can get a sport wash and UV killer combo kit and be UV free.

I've put some black jeans under the UV/ black light and they glow as well. remember, the black is brightened with UV enhancers in both your normal laundry detergent and from the manufacturer.
I get a kick out of people that wear blue jeans out hunting. they may get a deer here and there, but they were just lucky to stumble across a deer or their pants were hidden by taller underbrush.

shaman

Postby shaman » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:23 am

I'm sorry. I don't by the whole UV thing. I've been blogging about this boondoggle since 2008. It just ain't so.

#1) Deer have a slight sensitivity to UV, but it has been shown to have the opposite effect than what is being advertised by those on the UV bandwagon. Cervids have this ability to distinguish things like fur against bright snow. It is the absence of UV reflectivity that would be a turn-off to deer. See my weblog entry from about a year ago (9/25/2011)UV and Reindeer — finally some real science!

#2) The way these anti-UV products are marketed is to show how the product works under black light. This only shows how an object fluoresces in the visible part of the spectrum, not how it reflects actual UV light. The whole idea of this is bogus. Furthermore, the more I went down the bunny hole, I could not see where there was a real effect on the UV fluorescence of the material. Mind you, I spent A LOT of time down the basement in the dark mucking with this stuff back in 2008.

#3) I go back to what I was saying back in 2008, before I got dragged into the whole product testing fiasco:
a) If UV reflectivity of clothing were a problem, you would not be seeing much of it at dawn and dusk
b) If there is magic invisible UV rays coming off your clothes, that is not a problem if you're up a tree. In fact, it would make you look more like the sky
c) No one has done the actual scientific experiments to prove UV has any effect on hunting success.

Go look at my weblog and look in categories like "Elephant Repellant" "UV Killer" , etc. and then get back to me. Be very wary of companies selling products that purport to protect you from the unseen and the unknowable. This is all just my opinion, mind you. However, if I can get big ol' bucks coming by when I'm wearing thisUV-Radioactive clownsuit:

. . .you know there ain't much to this whole UV thing.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Next

Return to General Discussions