When to put out feeder?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
TheGreatWaz00

When to put out feeder?

Postby TheGreatWaz00 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:57 pm

I would like to hear from everyone regarding how many month/weeks/days prior to opening day do you put out your deer feeder, or begin to spread corn?

Thanks

Bryan78

RE: When to put out feeder?

Postby Bryan78 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:08 pm

Well it depends on what state.  Some (like Indiana) ban hunting over bait. 
Also putting out a feeder now or anytime while there is still foliage is a waste of time and corn.  My buddy and I put corn out on his property when he first bought it after hunting season was over and once the trees and such started budding and producing leaves the deer stop eating the corn.

But the biggest thing is, is that you just opened up a can of worms with this thread.

TheGreatWaz00

Postby TheGreatWaz00 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:15 pm

Thanks Bryan78

This would be in the state of Maryland.

Bryan78

Postby Bryan78 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:22 pm

ORIGINAL: TheGreatWaz00

Thanks Bryan78

This would be in the state of Maryland.

So is using a feeder legal to hunt over in Maryland?  If you want to put corn out just to feed deer then seriously, wait till winter arrives and there is less for them to eat.  But it will cost you a ton of money to keep it filled.  My buddy and I went through a bag of corn every few days.  It got to the point that we stopped doing it because of the cost.

Goose

Postby Goose » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:00 pm

If it legal in the area you hunt, then there will be no can of worms opened.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:13 pm

ORIGINAL: Goose

If it legal in the area you hunt, then there will be no can of worms opened.

Exactly!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:56 pm

I would like to hear from everyone regarding how many month/weeks/days prior to opening day do you put out your deer feeder, or begin to spread corn?

Thanks

You may want to check Maryland's hunting/baiting regulations to see if there is a legal date that you can start baiting. In Wisconsin, in the counties where baiting is allowed, we are not legally able to start baiting until the day before the opening day of archery season. And we can continue until all seasons end. 
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:12 pm

ORIGINAL: Bryan78
But the biggest thing is, is that you just opened up a can of worms with this thread.

There is no can of worms. You should'nt scare the newbies like that. We are here to ask and answer any and all questions. [:)]
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:22 pm

First of all welcome to D&DH!!! I have already put a feeder out just to see what is looming around the woods! My rule of thumb, If your going to us a feeder get it out early so the deer wil get use to it and the noise they make when it goes off, because they will spook the deer at first..

BTW We all open up cans of worms in these forums so just keep a open mind!

Good hunting

Thanks

SplitG2

Postby SplitG2 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:04 am

Where I hunt (Southwest Texas) I normally keep a feeder going all the time.  During the off season when natural food is plentiful I set the amount of corn that is thrown way down, otherwise it would pile up on the ground.  I just want the deer to hear the sound of it and come in for a bite of corn even though this is not their primary food source at the time.  In my areas they have free choice feed all the time.  Sometimes there are gaps when they eat it faster.  Last summer we had a drought and the deer would empty my protein feeders in a week.  Now they are lasting 6 weeks + because of all the rain.

I have set up corn feeders and had deer at them a few hours later.  But this is where a feeder had been for years, and this is Texas.  All the deer know what the feeders are for!

Good luck I would say set it up at least a couple weeks before you plan to hunt it.  Also, put it where the deer already are, don't make them find it.

Next

Return to General Discussions