Winded!

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Sailfish

Winded!

Postby Sailfish » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:16 am

I just got winded by a herd of doe. Actually just one but that's all it took!
The kicker is I did my normal scent control hadn't eaten ordrink anything either.
A strong 20-25kt west wind doomed me. The worst part was they were 120 yards away on the other side of some woods. I watched her get directly downwind, snap her head in my direction, stomp and then bolt ( total time 15 secs+/-)

They just continue to amaze me
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

JPH

Re: Winded!

Postby JPH » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:52 am

Happens to me all the time!

Sometimes I'll watch 6-8 deer walk right through my scent stream without even looking up, then one deer will step into it and act like they've been hit with a cattle prod. This year I have yet to be winded by a doe or small buck, but I've had about 4-5 mature bucks pick me off.

Somebody needs to spend a billion dollars studying a whitetail's sense of smell, how they interpret it, and how to beat it. The candidate backing that government program would get to put his campaign sign in my yard!

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:37 am

Exactly like lightning!!!
5-6 already passed by then .... whammo she was hit
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:43 pm

3 reasons:

1. Relative humidity.

2. Barometric pressure combined with terrain "sinks".

3. You just STINK! :mrgreen:
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:52 am

I was hunting the creek bottom today from a ladder stand. I looked out over my left shoulder and saw three does coming down the east line fence about 350 yards from my position. They got even with me, stopped and did the "Mill Around, Harch" manuever, and then went back the way they came from at a run. I thought to myself, surely they couldn't have smelled me at this distance. Apparently with a 20 mph wind they can and did. I also saw a white and brown goat and a tresspasser, but neither of them ran away from me.

shaman

Postby shaman » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:02 pm

You probably weren't wearing enough UV Killer and the battery had gone dead in your Anti-Telepathy Hat.

Don't feel bad. It happens to me all the time.

:D
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:35 pm

We all, win some and loose some. That's what makes this great sport so trying and frustrating at times. But I wouldn't trade it for anything. I'll just keep trying to out-witt them.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

kellory

Postby kellory » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:45 pm

shaman wrote:You probably weren't wearing enough UV Killer and the battery had gone dead in your Anti-Telepathy Hat.

Don't feel bad. It happens to me all the time.

:D

I used to have that problem too, until I installed a solar panel on top. The vertical axis windmill was too easy to spot. :(
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

freak nasty 145

Postby freak nasty 145 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:31 am

I was hunting on thursday (nov. 17) afternoon in Ohio and the wind was gusting i would say around twenty mpr. I was in my stand when i saw a doe walk in fifty to sixty yards in front of me. It was getting late and the doe decides to bed down in front of me. So i decided to climb down to stalk her. Every time the wind would pick up, that's when i would move. The only shot i had was directly behind her. Little tiny trees (i guess) no wider than your middle finger were blocking my view from other angles. The wind was in her favor but she never picked me up. I closed the distance to with in 15- 20 yards. I had only about five more steps. That is when i believe she busted me because i was starting to get more behind her. I'm also thinking " this is going to happen. I can't believe this!!" The doe slowly turned around i froze she gets up C-YA!! it goes to show ya...... It is hard to beat a deers nose. But you know what??? that was one of the best hunts i ever had. It was so exciting. Even though i did not kill her that is why they call it hunting and not killing. That's my story and i'm sticking to it. Peace.
"Any sportsman who can kill his deer without the tingling spine, the quick clutch at his heart, the delicious trembling of nerve fibers when the game is finally down, has no place in the deer woods." Lawrence R. Koller. (1948).

bowmaniac

Postby bowmaniac » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:44 pm

Well something wird happened today after taking my wife out to eat it was about 45 min to sun down so without taking a shower and de-scented myself down like I always do grabed my hunting coveralls and on my way I went to my tree stand. It was about 15 min. before quitting time when I heard movement on my left side so I quickly grabed my bow and I saw this doe looking right at me then she started stomping the ground tought she was going to bolt at any time but just kept on looking at me when she calmed down for a bit I pull my bow back and WAAM missed her she run about 15 yards and came back giving me a nice broadside shot this time she wasnt so nervous so I took my time and let my arrow go this time she want so lucky its about to be in my freezer. So I think as long as you pay the wind right you dont have to de-scent very good. ;)
Attachments
Foto-0052.jpg
Foto-0052.jpg (57.79 KiB) Viewed 306 times

Next

Return to General Discussions