any advice for tick bites?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
JFry1969

any advice for tick bites?

Postby JFry1969 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:54 am

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone has any home remedies or advice on treating tick bites. I was mowing some trails for the deer in an old overgrown pasture the other day and had a few ticks get attached to me. I put peroxide on the bite area after I removed the ticks but they still swelled up, turned red, and itch like the dickens! I dont remember tick bites acting like that until the last few years! Seems like the over the counter creams dont help much either. Last year my wife was covered from head to toe with Turkey ticks or mites, whatever you call them, and she almost went insane for about 2 weeks. Nothing seemed to help and the docs didnt know what to try either. We never had them until they moved the turkeys to SE Ill. Thanks alot! So now we hardly go in the woods until after a freeze, and if we do we take a bath in deet before leaving the house. Even that doesnt seem to keep them all off of ya. So if any of you all have any tips on repellant or treatment that works for you, we would sure appreciate it. Im trying to muster the courage to go out and hang some trail cams soon but my wife says Im on my own so I wont have her as tick bait. LOL trust me Ill pay for that one. Thanks again.

DBogie59

RE: any advice for tick bites?

Postby DBogie59 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:47 am

I'm not an expert, but peroxide should not be used on an open wound. It has been found to destroy the flesh around a wound. The itching is usually a product of the wound healing. Just talking from experience with wasp stings, not many ticks by me.

Lot to Learn

Postby Lot to Learn » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:40 am

don't know what to tell you to avoid them other than staying in the house.  If there is one tick in 100 acres it will find me.  If I go somewhere I know from experience there will be a lot of ticks I always wear long pants and a hat. As soon as I get home I get the wife to look over what I can't and take a shower right away.  Change clothes and take them outside, turn them inside out and shake well.  Cannot tell you how many ticks on bathroom floor and even in bed one night, wife was really happy about that.  I don't think sprays deter them, not on me anyway.  Not to argue with above post, I always use hydrogen peroxide but I will look into that now.   Also there are tons of triple antibiotic after bite products out there. 

In IL we have high school bass fishing. I helped coach a team the 1st year.  When I got home from the semi-finals I had a tick the absolute last place any man wants a tick.   So pretty much I don't let them keep me out of the woods but I do expect to go home with some.

JFry1969

Postby JFry1969 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:58 am

Thanks for the comments. Never heard that about peroxide. Wonder I have any hide left cause mom always put that on any wound we had as kids to clean it. Ill have to check that out. LL, we too shuck our clothes as soon as we get in, shower and wash our clothes. But it seems like the turkey ticks are already dug in by then, plus they are really hard to see. The saliva from the other ticks (dog and deer) is what causes the itch, like a mosquito, but seems like it is 5 times worse and takes longer to heal. For awhile I thought it might just be my body's reaction to it but everyone else around here has had the same reaction. You dont see many people venture past their yards around here during tick season anymore. Winter is fast becoming our favorite time of year and not just for the hunting seasons! By the way LL, I too had a tick on my manhood and that was not a pleasant experience by any means. Been a long two weeks for me and my wife!

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:54 pm

When I get a tick on me or if one of my Kids get one on them we gently see if it will come out/off with our fingers or tweezers,if its dug in pretty deep I take some nail polish and brush it on them and wait a little while....the little vermins will start to smother and back out or even fall off and You can remove them easier.Always be careful and don't pull them out if they are dug in pretty far,I have also heard that petroleum jelly with smoother them too and they back out.If You remove a tick make sure You got the whole body and head,if the body pulls off and the head is still in your skin I recomend going to a Doctor and if you remove a tick keep a close eye on it,if it turns red and starts to swell You need to see a Doctor.....Lyme Disease is very serious and can cause You serious problems if not taken care of.I have went out in the woods and came back covered in the little tiny seed ticks......talk about stripping down and heading for the shower,those babies are terrible and can hide anywhere including between your eye lashes because they are so small!

When I get back from walking in the woods I take off my pants,shirt and socks and leave them on the porch,then run inside and hit the shower....when the Wife starts a load of laundry I go out and get what clothes I need washed so I don't drag the ticks in with me before we wash the clothes,some times I use the same Camo Hunting clothes and just strip them off on the porch!I'm out in the Country and the Neighbors are far enough away to not see me running into the house 1/2 Neeked! [8|] [:)]

Another little aggravating bug/insect that others confuse with being a tick bite is "Chiggers",they also cause swelling,redness and severe itching that will drive You crazy,cause You to scratch til you bleed and even when You take a warm shower/bath will cause it to act up and itch again!I use the Benadryl itch stopping GEL,it can help with several different pains and itching asociated with minor burns,insect bites,minor skin irritations,rashes due to poison ivy,poison oak and poison sumac.I have also took nail polish and covered my Chigger bite with it....it seems to help and when You get them you'll try anything to kill them or take away the itching!

JFry1969

Postby JFry1969 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:51 am

Thanks GTO, I had forgotten about the nail polish. I wonder if what you are callin seed ticks are the same as what we call turkey ticks over here? These are really tiny and looks like little grains of pepper crawlin on you. Your right, chiggers are bad, but I think these are worse. My wife had them sooo bad last year, I had to take her to the ER.. They prescribed Benadryl cream and pills and sent us home with a $400 bill and something that we had already tried. My Pharmicist said to have Doc give me a prescript for a cream used for scabes. That worked better than Benadryl but you have to cover your whole body with it, at least thats what we were told. Baking Soda mixed with salt water to form a paste also works fairly well. A friend of mine puts copper pennies in a jar of white vinegar, sets it in the sun till the vinegar turns brown (kinda like sun tea but I wouldnt advise drinkin it) then he scratches the bites raw and puts this on. I tried it once! Talk about set you on FIRE!!! Makes you forget about the itchin! It does work, but it will leave scars from scratchin them raw all the time. These are some of the things we have tried. Didnt know if someone else knew of something better. Sounds like the best thing to do is avoid them at all costs or suffer through it. We live in the country too but a few of our neighbors have driven by in time to get a free shot, but by the time we get home we arent too worried about that! LOL

hookset6969

Postby hookset6969 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:12 pm

I had a tick in the ol groin area myself just a few months ago and the ER charged me 900 bucks to do absolutely nothing other than dig and cause me a bunch of pain just to tell me after they were done that it wasn't that big of deal [:@] The DOC told me that the head even if left in will usually work itself out during the healing and if your worried about lime's they just give you a prescription for an antibiotic for 7-10 days and your fine. So needless to say no more trips to the ER for me I will just keep an eye on the area and if the lime symptoms come around I'll head in for the pill's. [8D]

trapperDave

Postby trapperDave » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:04 am

EASY TICK REMOVAL TIP

take a cotton ball, put dish soap on it and place on tick. He will back out and be stuck on cotton ball.
"Democracy is a lamb and two wolves voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin

crittergitter

Postby crittergitter » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:17 am

use a cotton ball with rubbing alchohol on it to get a tick to let go , the best thing in the world for ticks is Permanone spray , it is for your cloths , do not put it on your skin , i run rabbit dogs all year long and turkey hunt in the spring , i have never gotten a tick on me when i have this stuff on my cloths ! it will keep all bugs away , not just ticks ! ive been using it for about 10 years

skecanj

Postby skecanj » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:45 am

Apparently "turkey ticks" are the larval form of Lonestar ticks. I found the following way to treat turkey ticks at How to Treat a Turkey Tick Bite -

I recently had my first encounter with these pests. I researched them and found out that they are actually not mites at all; rather, they are the larval life stage of the Lonestar Tick. The tick can and will feed on humans at any of its three life cycle stages (larva, nymph, adult). There is an associated rash that emerges from the bite of the lonestar tick, and it can occur in places far away from where the bite(s) is/are located. These little pests attack in huge numbers, and the itch that results from their attack is unparalleled by poison ivy, oak, sumac or the worst onslaught of chigger assault.

I have had success with the following regimen. First, immediately begin taking the maximum dose of diphenhydramine tablets (Benadryl). Just follow the directions on the label. Launder all of your clothes that were worn the day of the attack, and any other clothes that those clothes have contacted in hot water and dry on high heat. Also strip your bedding and launder it in the same manner. Obtain RID home spray and RID Lice shampoo (or save yourself a fortune and get the equate version of the Lice shampoo). Spray down your chairs and sofas and the parts of your bed and pillows that cannot be washed with the RID home spray. Kill the little bastards that are on you with a dilute bleach bath (about 1/2 cup bleach in the tub) that is as hot as you can stand (soak for 10 - 15 minutes) . After the bleach bath, drain the water and rinse yourself off thoroughly. Draw another hot bath and dump in about 4 cupfuls of Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) and 2 cupfuls of table salt. Again, make the water as hot as you can stand it. Soak for 15 minutes. The bleach kills the ticks, and the Epsom/table salt knocks the itch down dramatically. Wash your hair with RID as per the label instructions, and then dry off. Now take the RID shampoo and apply it like lotion all over your body (not your face if you can get away with it). Let it dry and leave it there for at least an hour or two. I have heard people say that they leave the RID on all night and wash it off in the morning. So do that if you can. I found it best to keep it on for two hours, and then I went back and soaked in another hot bath to let it dissolve off. That is all the day one treatment. Every day thereafter, use hydrocortisone cream during the work day to battle the inflammation and itch, and keep on the oral benadryl regimen. Soak at night in the Epsom/Table salt water bath and then apply the RID and either wash it off as I said before or keep it on overnight. The RID will be unnecessary after day two (in my experience). It will take around a week to kick the itch all the way out, so be strong and patient.

Avoid future attacks by applying pyrethrin bug repellant to your clothes and DEET repellant to your skin any time you go into a wooded area or an area where there is brush or high grass. Wear long pants and tall socks. It sucks, because it will burn you up in the summer time, but anything beats being bitten by these evil hellions. Good luck.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_tr ... z1F42jLZ87

Next

Return to General Discussions