Angered as I saw a deer 'HANGING' off a hitch cargo carrier on the highway today...

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
hookset6969

RE: Angered as I saw a deer 'HANGING' off a hitch cargo carrier on the highway today...

Postby hookset6969 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:34 am

RANWIN I don't really know what your getting at here? But if your trying to say kiss a-- to make someone happy GOODLUCK [:D] Better you than me, I didn't realize that we had a counselor and an employer on this site. One last thing I've never had to kiss butt to keep my job or my wife. My thought's are people that have to do this may not be as good as they THINK [8|]

scotman

RE: Angered as I saw a deer 'HANGING' off a hitch cargo carrier on the highway today...

Postby scotman » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:43 am

I guess when I harvest a deer I more enthralled by the hunt and the healthy adrenaline rush to remember to make it appealing to the eye. But if your aim is to stop people from being who they are and will be no matter what we do then I think your better off signing up for the NRA and spend that tarp money as a donation. That is where the real fight is at.

Note the above statement was meant to be a reply in general. I dislike this forum reply posting system. Either it says reply in the bottom right corner of your message and then that is the person you did not mean to reply to..or when you reply qoute it makes a whole bunch of quotes in quotes. All just annoying on my end. Haha so now that I got that out...So yes my reply was to everyone in general.
"The deerskin rug on our study floor, the buck's head over the fireplace, what are these after all but the keys which have unlocked enchanted doors, and granted us not only health and vigor, but a fresh and fairer vision of existence" -Paul. Brandreth

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:24 am

ORIGINAL: hookset6969

RANWIN I don't really know what your getting at here? But if your trying to say kiss a-- to make someone happy GOODLUCK [:D] Better you than me, I didn't realize that we had a counselor and an employer on this site. One last thing I've never had to kiss butt to keep my job or my wife. My thought's are people that have to do this may not be as good as they THINK [8|]

Big difference between being a kiss a--, and being considerate and just doing the right thing.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

hookset6969

Postby hookset6969 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:25 am

RANWIN, Like I said I will not go out of my way to purposely gross someone out or haul around a gut pile for everyone to see, But if you expect me to believe that an anti-hunter is going to think better of me for putting a tarp over a dead deer I think your mistaken. My reply to EDDIE was just saying that I would not wait 10-12hr to take home a deer. What if it is 70 degrees? And by the way I'm not out to start a big fight here, I just think the point is these anti's are not giving into us for anything, And no matter what we do I don't think we are going to change their mind's [:@]

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:56 am

I don't care a bit about the "antis" - they are a very small part of the population and the fact I even hunt bothers them enough. 

But I do care about the average Joe/Jane who may or may not hunt and doesn't want to see a gutted deer cruising down the interstate.  I'm just saying if you've got to put the animal on the outside of your vehichle in plain sight, then cover the carcass, a tarp is cheap and bungie cords and rope are cheaper. 

I agree, I wouldn't wait 10-12 hours to take a deer in either, but I would cover it if I didn't have a pickup.

I hunt; seeing a gutted deer doesn't bother me, but I don't want to see the open body cavity of a dead deer as I'm cruising down the highway either. 
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Proline

Postby Proline » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:01 am

It is so funny how these go on and on.  Hunting has been part of life since man settled this country.  We should never be ashamed of it and hide our work from those that do not approve.  It really is no different than watching a TV show you don't approve of or happening across a gay activists parade if you dont like gays!  Don't watch it!  Lets remember the person that doesn't to want see the dead deer has options too. They can turn theire head away, change lanes, pass the car or get the heck off at and exit and find another way ! 

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:06 am

ORIGINAL: Proline

It is so funny how these go on and on.  Hunting has been part of life since man settled this country.  We should never be ashamed of it and hide our work from those that do not approve.  It really is no different than watching a TV show you don't approve of or happening across a gay activists parade if you dont like gays!  Don't watch it!  Lets remember the person that doesn't to want see the dead deer has options too. They can turn theire head away, change lanes, pass the car or get the heck off at and exit and find another way ! 

I find it funny that people equate covering a deer with a tarp as being ashamed of what they've done, or trying to hide what they've done.  That's just a leap of logic I can't get to.

It's really pretty simple, have some respect for the animal, and have some respect for other people.  You are the one creating the situation, you need to take responsibility for it, so telling people "don't look at me as I drive my dead deer down the road" doesn't work for me. 
Aldo Leopold

SHKYBoonie

Postby SHKYBoonie » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:36 am

ORIGINAL: hookset6969

RANWIN, Like I said I will not go out of my way to purposely gross someone out or haul around a gut pile for everyone to see, But if you expect me to believe that an anti-hunter is going to think better of me for putting a tarp over a dead deer I think your mistaken. My reply to EDDIE was just saying that I would not wait 10-12hr to take home a deer. What if it is 70 degrees? And by the way I'm not out to start a big fight here, I just think the point is these anti's are not giving into us for anything, And no matter what we do I don't think we are going to change their mind's [:@]

I think what needs to be said here is "think about how you display your kill" before you start out on the road with it. I'm not going to go to extreme measures to please someone just because they don't see things the way I do. Most of the time I don't have to go more than a mile or so on public roads to get the deer to a place I can hang it and quarter it. There are a few times I have had to travel some distance to get it to a processor or just to my house. In these cases, I just made sure that the bloody end isn't in plain sight. I'm not going to go through the act of placing it in tarps and all, but I'm not going to have it hanging off the back of the truck with it's head dragging the ground and the chest cavity wide open either. I show my respect to that animal by taking ethical shots and using everything I can of it to feed my family. I take alot of care in how I handle that animal because I want it to taste right when it is table fair. There are alot of people out there that do things that upset me all the time. I don't know them, so I go on and let them go about their way. Hopefully I will not ever have to deal with them in a one on one situation.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:04 am

I'm OK with it being on a carrier behind the vehicle.  This is normal and a lot of people do this if they have an SUV versus a truck.  What I DON'T like is with the road conditions, how it was strapped on there.  You obviously have to get it from point A to point B, and this may be the guy's only way to transport the deer, but please put something over it so all the junk on the road doesn't get all over the carcass.  Kind of ridiculous if you ask me...Show some respect.
QDM!

Quickdraw

Postby Quickdraw » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:02 am

My take is, I agree it would have been smart to cover the deer for the sake of tainting the meat. And okay it would not have hurt to try and hide the gaping whole down the middle of the deer. There is nothing wrong with being suttle.

What I get sick and tierd of is people having to tip toe around everything they do, whether it be hunting, religion, race, nationality..... you name it, so we do not offend someone. It is getting real old. Everybody needs to grow a back bone, lets call a spade a spade!

I hunt, some do not like that, get over it! There are alot of things others do or belive that I do not like and unless it effects my choices or morals I will continue to get over it.

I have and will continue to leave my tail gate down (I do however turn the belly in so it cant be seen I want them to look at the deer not the incission), call me egotistical! I do not care, you are free (atleast for now in this country) to think as you wish. I am proud to be a hunter, american, caucasion, christian, biker ............. I will not hide my kill, beliefs or convictions because I might offend someone, they sure as heck will not do that for me!

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions