Tower deer stand project

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
retch sweeny

Re: Tower deer stand project

Postby retch sweeny » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:04 pm

It will be stood up, Leveled and anchored with steel cables. It can be moved as a sled by attaching 2 x 10 12 feet long. I have already pre-drilled the bottoms of the legs for such an event. I have hunted this land for 36 years. I’m putting in a funnel that has produced every year so odds are low I will ever need to move it. Yes my Dad knows about it. He is the one that had me change the design from a ladder to a staircase. I should have designed it that way to begin with. With age comes wisdom.

retch sweeny

Postby retch sweeny » Mon May 14, 2012 4:29 am

After some dry weather and a forecast for a nice weekend I reserved a U-Haul trailer to get the stand up north to where it will be erected. Friday afternoon I was loaded and ready to go.

I enlisted the help of 2 of my brothers and a nephew. Was started at 8:00 on Sat morning. Building the stand didn’t leave a lot of time of picture taking but I did my best.

We flipped the stand over and set it on cement pads and leveled it.

Than anchored it in 4 locations with 3/16 cable and steel posts driven deep into the ground.

The pre-made stair case was the next addition.

Then it was time to attach the walls.

Putting up the last wall and the roof was a chore and I forgot to stop for pictures. It wasn’t until I finished the stair railing that I remembered to take more pictures. Here is the finished stand.

Here it is with the windows open and shutters down.

Here is the view looking North from the porch. There is a river that became a pond a few years ago when beavers dammed it up. You can see all the trees that died from being under water. The beaver problem is gone but the damage remains.

The view looking West. you can see 440 yards.

Looking North you can 1,000 yards to the farm.

Looking East to the river. I need to cut some shooting lanes.

When the stand was finished I attended a first communion celebration for my niece. Then I came back with my father to show him the completed stand. He liked it and it was easy to climb the staircase with his 77 year old knees.

I started the design of this stand back in Dec of last year (2011). It took 5 months to complete working on and off as time and weather would allow. It was a fun project that several people will be able to enjoy for years to come.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Mon May 14, 2012 7:35 am

Looks great Retch!

are you going to paint the ladder/framework at all? I like the tree trunks painted on the walls. It looks like it will blend in nicely with the backdrop of the dead trees. Looks to be in a likely location as well.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

retch sweeny

Postby retch sweeny » Mon May 14, 2012 8:05 am

Deebz wrote:Looks great Retch!

are you going to paint the ladder/framework at all? I like the tree trunks painted on the walls. It looks like it will blend in nicely with the backdrop of the dead trees. Looks to be in a likely location as well.

Yes I will paint the treated lumber base but I ave to wait for the wood to dry, its still quite wet. Tthe stand will blend in better in the fall when the leaves are down and everything is grey.

This farm has been in the family for over 100 years. This corner is a great spot that has produced many deer. The river running so close to the corner of the field makes it a great pinch point/funnel.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Mon May 14, 2012 8:47 am

Great job and fun watching the process...not done yet though...we need those fall pics of smiling faces and down game...Thanks :)
Romans 14:10
Romans 14:13
James 4:11
Luke 6:37

hunter12

Postby hunter12 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:10 am

I am interested in building this type of box blind, it looks great!!!! How can I get the design layout? What is the cost to purchase plans?

Lake Hamilton Agri Mechanics

Postby Lake Hamilton Agri Mechanics » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:23 am

Great job on the stand. I belong to an Agri Mechanics class and we were asked to find something the class could build as a whole and started looking and looking and then we found your stand and my instructor said that its perfect but i need detailed plans instructions and a list of supplies all the way down to wat kind of screws or nails to use please get back to us on that asap

jawaddell

Postby jawaddell » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:12 am

Great Job! I like the layout.

Few Questions:

1. Did you use 1/2" OSB on the exterior wall?
2. What height is your windows from the floor? and how wide, 15?
3. At what angle did you mount the 4x4 post legs to the floor?

kellory

Postby kellory » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:18 pm

jawaddell wrote:Great Job! I like the layout.

Few Questions:

1. Did you use 1/2" OSB on the exterior wall?
2. What height is your windows from the floor? and how wide, 15?
3. At what angle did you mount the 4x4 post legs to the floor?

Sorry, but you will have to find that out on your own. the gentleman who wrote that article no longer comes around.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

pickleguy

Postby pickleguy » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:05 pm

Do you think this is the official violators stand!!1 lol
�If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.It is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions