Tower deer stand project

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
retch sweeny

Re: Tower deer stand project

Postby retch sweeny » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:52 am

With the box mostly done, I turned my attention to the roof. I was going to use a spreadable rubberized roof coating but last weekend I was up North cutting firewood and my brother told me about all the rubber roof material he had on hand so I am going that route.

The roof is made from 7/16 OSB and framed with 2x2's (except where the seam where the two sheets meet, there I used a 2 x 3 and caulked the joint before screwing the OSB down).

The roof overhangs the box by 8 inches all around.

Then I gave the exposed underside 2 coats of the same colored paint. The center portion (inside ceiling of the box) will be insulated)

Ready to apply the rolled roofing material.

The Rubber is thick (just over 1/16th inch and very stiff (and heavy)

Its been cold lately (its 33 F right now) so I will have to wait until I can set the roof out in the sun to warm it up enough to stretch and smooth out the rubber before I can attach it all around the edge.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:57 am

What a great job and that roofing material will help keep the blind warm on sunny winter days and deaden the sound of rain....I used the same material as a sound dampener on the floor of my blind...then put an oriental rug over it....throw away...lol

Love the window idea...may have to steal that design on my next one....I went with an out side slider made from U channels and have them slide down...because we get such hard winds I wanted to be able to have the window blocking wind to my body and still be open enough to rest a barrel on it...I also made camo screen curtains to keep skeeters out in spring while the window... is open...and to keep birds from hitting when closed....Wish my construction skills and patients were as good as yours...Great Job!!...attched pics of my windows
Attachments
IMG_0578.JPG
IMG_0578.JPG (53.2 KiB) Viewed 2929 times
IMG_0587.JPG
IMG_0587.JPG (90.84 KiB) Viewed 2929 times
IMG_0586.JPG
IMG_0586.JPG (93.79 KiB) Viewed 2929 times
Romans 14:10
Romans 14:13
James 4:11
Luke 6:37

retch sweeny

Postby retch sweeny » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:19 am

After spending a few hours in the warm sunshine, the rubber roofing material was easy to smooth and flatten. The wooden strips around the perimeter help hold it in place.

Then I used clear silicone caulk all around the top where the rubber meets the wood. This roof should last a very long time.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:04 am

Your plans and workmanship are really impressive. I have to tell you though, if I put that stand in my woods the animals would chew it up. Every edge that they could sink their teeth into would be chewed up. Do you have a method to slow them down at all? I tried adding cayenne pepper to the the last coat of paint and that slowed them down, but they still made a mess of it.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

retch sweeny

Postby retch sweeny » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:30 am

What animals are eating your stands?? We have not noticed such a problem with other stands we have placed.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:31 pm

Pretty sure it's fox squirrels. They chew up anything that has an edge or a corner.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

kellory

Postby kellory » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:52 pm

As I have said before, you are a fine craftsman. I also have a roll of that roof rubber. I was intending to laminate it to the bottom of corrugated sheet steel for my blind roof, However, someone has decided that my steel sheets will do them a world of good. So I was mulling over my other choices. I like your design, and I believe I will follow your example. I will, however, make the front a bit longer to shade my front window to prevent glare/ reflection. That looks like it will be a very nice blind when it is complete. Well done.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

retch sweeny

Postby retch sweeny » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:31 am

Yesterday I built the frame for the floor. Its made from treated 2 x 6 with joists on 16 inch centers. Then because I had lots of scrap ends, I filled in the joist spaces with additional blocking. Is it overkill?? You bet. I don’t want a floor that creeks and groans. I’m building it once so I want it too be strong rather than wish I would have when its too late to do anything about it.

The first layer of ½” OSB was screwed down after laying beads of construction adhesive on all the joists. Then I laid down more construction adhesive and another layer of ½ OSB

Now I have a floor that an inch thick that is both glued and screwed. Is it over kill?? You bet it is.

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:06 am

Does your wall sheathing over lap the floor sheathing and/or rim joist at all? If not, make sure to paint the edges of the OSB to seal it or your floor will start de-laminating. Looks pretty good for a shooting house.

retch sweeny

Postby retch sweeny » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:28 am

Dan, they overlap by 3 inches plus I have painted the bottom edge as well as the back side with 3 coats of exterior house paint to seal them.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions