Tower deer stand project

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
retch sweeny

Re: Tower deer stand project

Postby retch sweeny » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:29 am

I’ve moved the stand deck out to the back patio because I need the room to build the larger parts of the stand. I leveled it up because when I poured the back patio I used a lot of slope for good drainage. Eventually I will bring all the walls out here as well and give them a test run before shipping the stand to its permanent home. I would rather discover surprises in the shop than out in the woods.

I painted the exposed edges even though the door threshold will cover this area and the OSB on the door will protect it. I just figured it was better safe than sorry with melting snow.

Then I framed up both of the sides of the base and marked the pieces and disassembled them.

If you go all the way back to the beginning of this project you will see I had intended to use a ladder to get into the stand. Since this stand will be used by hunters in their 80’s as well as little kids. I went back to the drawing board (literally) and designed a very easy to climb set of stairs. The cost and time went up a bit but will make for a better and safer climb. While the plan does not show it I will be adding more vert railing on both the hand rail and the deck rail.

I don’t know what it is about treated lumber but finding 2, 12 foot long 2 x 8’s meant sorting through a lot of warped and twisted junk to get two that were usable.

It was a fun rainy Sunday project. Its going to take more than a couple guys to raise and position this staircase. Its pretty heavy.

Now I need to get back to making all the sliding plexiglass windows for the rest of the blind.

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:49 pm

That should be fine. Lots of people forget that step with OSB and then swear off the stuff later when it starts de-laminating. Plywood has it's place, but for the money, and a little bit of preparation, OSB is just as good or better.

Your project is well thought out and prepared. It's a little too elaborate for my tastes, but that's why you're building it and not me. Personally, I'm looking for some used 1" fish netting to tie strips of dyed burlap onto. Will make a portable blind along the lines of a gillie suit, but to my specifications and parameters. I still enjoy sitting out in the elements. I'm sure that will fade with age, but for now it works.

retch sweeny

Postby retch sweeny » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:56 pm

The stand has been on hold for several days as a family member has had some medical issues I have had to deal with on their behalf. I did have an opportunity to redesign the windows and how they will be constructed to simplify making them. Its a simple lap joint and a slot for the plexiglass. Soon I will be back to work on the stand but sometimes life gets in the way.

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:10 pm

Hope everything turns out well for your family member.

retch sweeny

Postby retch sweeny » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:28 am

Window construction Is under way. Waiting for coats of paint to dry is taking too much time in the chilly weather.

In the meantime, I decided to add a little pitch to the roof to make sure the rain and snow are pitched away from the side with the stairs and the door. I ripped a couple wedges that fade from 1 ½ thick to zero thick. Then I cut some ports in between the bays to act as air vents. Then I covered them with aluminum mesh sheet to keep bats and wasps out. I will put a inlet air vent in the bottom of one of the walls. This way, when the stand is sealed up over the summer and its 100+ degrees outside, the stand will be able to breath a bit.

While waiting for the windows to dry I am making the tracks that they will run in.

retch sweeny

Postby retch sweeny » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:22 am

All the windows are made and painted and the tracks installed. Time to start insulating and covering the inside walls with 1/4 inch OSB. I think I will paint the entire inside flat black. I also need to make the window counterweight system so no matter what position I want to lift the windows, they will stay up.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:25 am

Hope alls well with family....wondering how are you going to get the stand in place?
Romans 14:10
Romans 14:13
James 4:11
Luke 6:37

retch sweeny

Postby retch sweeny » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:23 am

I started insulating the walls with ridged foam that 1.5 thick. I have some leftovers from the last meat smoker project so I didn’t need to purchase much additional foam.

After the insulation, I covered the wall with ¼ inch OSB.

Then gave the interior a spray coat of flat black.

For the bottom sections, I did the same except I had to create a smaller and uninsulated area for the window counter balance weights.

The ¼ thick OSB panel that covers the counter weight has to be removable should I need to service the weight. The other portions that never need to be removed are nailed in place.

I made a short video of the windows and the counterweight. The windows will stay open in any position without needing to prop them open. They slide well and are not too noisy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFziILaM ... e=youtu.be

Because I have air vents at the top of the stand to vent off the hot air when the stand is sealed up during the off season, I needed an air inlet. I added a stainless steel mesh screen wrapped in an aluminum frame and then put a little rain guard above it. I placed it as close to the floor as I could. I think I have all the venting I need and hopefully the stand will have enough air flow to avoid getting moldy inside.

With the walls done I added a flip up shelf on the long wall and covered it with the same indoor/outdoor carpet I plan to use on the floor of the stand. Its hinged and can be lowered to lay flat against the wall when its not needed.

Lifting it and swinging the angle support down lowers the shelf.

retch sweeny

Postby retch sweeny » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:29 am

msbadger wrote:Hope alls well with family....wondering how are you going to get the stand in place?

The roof and staircase are now on site. All the pieces are modular and will be errected on site.

kellory

Postby kellory » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:57 pm

retch, you have done a beautiful job on this stand so far, but as you have said, mold could be a problem, especially black mold with the health hazards (and of course, tearing open the walls to treat it.) I would suggest you do as I will do with mine, and install a solar attic fan in one of the vents on the south side. . I will be installing a double throw switch in mine between the solar cell and the fan, to divert power to a standby rechargeable 12vt battery.to keep the 2 way radios charged, and cell phone, to call for assistance when the deer is down. it could also run an interior light for setting up and breaking down, Malibu yard lights are 12vt and put out plenty of light, but being LEDs, don't need much power. It will help keep it mold and mildew free, and make it a little safer. Two questions, does you Dad know about this project? and will this be stood up and guy-lined, sunk in concrete or gravel, or on skids to be towed if the deer do not cooperate?
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions