hunting property lines

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
voodoochile

hunting property lines

Postby voodoochile » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:19 pm

WE need to educate folks on the laws involved in hunting near a property line when you know there are issues with the landowner on the other side of the fence .

It clearly states in the Illinois hunting regulations that " Illinois law does not grant the right of trespass for the purpose of retrieving wounded or crippled wildlife or hunting dogs. You must secure permission from the landowner or tenant before entering any property"

Now where there is timber or other habitat on both sides of the property line it is a matter of odds. A shot deer may head either direction and is just as likely to die on your side of the fence as the other .

HOWEVER in a situation where one side of the property line is an open field and the other side is outstanding deer habitat the situation changes completely . Any deer shot in the open field WILL head to the thickest cover available . Anyone with the slightest knowledge of deer behaviors knows this to be a fact . Therefore while it may be legal to hunt along an open field next to another properties deer habitat it is certainly not ethical because in the state of Illinois you have no right to trespass to retrieve the deer .

Find another location to hunt !

On the other hand the owner of the property containing the habitat could hunt near the property line with clear conscious because he has 99% odds the deer will turn back into the habitat to die .I am not advocating shooting across the property line .

Whitetail deer very seldom drop in their tracks ,especially with archery gear and the days are long gone when we dont need to worry about property lines .

kellory

Re: hunting property lines

Postby kellory » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:05 pm

We have that very problem on one of the farms my family owns and hunts. We own the woods, yet the neighbor to the rear of the property owns the field behind. Someone he allows to hunt keeps setting up a pop up blind right on the woodsline on his side of the fence. Legal, but not polite. It interferes with us hunting OUR side, because he is interferiing with our field of fire, and is clearly hunting the edge of our woods. We can't chase him out, but I have set up a climber stand within 50 feet of his blind on more than one occation. You would think he would get the hint and hunt the other side of the field in THIER woods! :(
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:16 pm

Yeah, another thing is safety. Sitting close to a fenceline, not knowing where the neighbors are set up can be bad. I think neighbors just need to communicate to each other before hunting season, or during. Thats an easy solution to potential problems. I wouldn't want to piss my neighbors off ever, or be at the receiving end of their rifles when they shoot their deer. If they don't cooperate and work out issues like neighbors should, well, then it becomes mutual. At least make an effort. A little common courtesy goes a long way.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

kellory

Postby kellory » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:22 pm

We are talking with the property owner. We don't know the shooter.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

pgchambers

Postby pgchambers » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:27 pm

The thing is, we have one neighbor who basically has no woods on his property and only has 20 acres. Should he just not be allowed to hunt then, since any stand or blind he sets up will be near ours or another neighbor's woods and any deer he shoots will head off his property to find cover? It sounds like he is unethical for hunting at all. Yet I as his neighbor am not unethical for not letting him come get his deer? Man, things sure get out of whack when we're talking about whitetail.
Respect - don't take it, unless you are willing to give it.
Responsibility - don't give it, unless you are willing to take it.

kellory

Postby kellory » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:08 pm

pgchambers wrote:The thing is, we have one neighbor who basically has no woods on his property and only has 20 acres. Should he just not be allowed to hunt then, since any stand or blind he sets up will be near ours or another neighbor's woods and any deer he shoots will head off his property to find cover? It sounds like he is unethical for hunting at all. Yet I as his neighbor am not unethical for not letting him come get his deer? Man, things sure get out of whack when we're talking about whitetail.

No, but he should have made arraingments for pusuit before hunting, and since we are hunting those woods for 4 days, our line hugger should have the curtisey of hunting another day, or hunting elsewhere on the property. We would allow a man/ woman to pursue no problem, but this guy cramps our own hunting of our woods. If it cuntinues, this one will recieve the same curtisey he has shown us, and he will not cross that line. Treat others as you would like them to treat you. As a side note, this year's harvest from this deer woods was non-existant. Is this guy THAT BAD at scent control, or has he been scouting the woods? We have not tried to find out. But he is there, and the deer were not. Normally, we get 3-4 from that woods, we have never gotten less than one. This year...nothing, and no sightings either. :(

pgchambers

Postby pgchambers » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:12 pm

Was responding to the original post, not yours kel. Situations are unique, so each has to be handled on it's own merits. Sound like you are trying to resolve yours. I just can't agree that the guy with the woods should get to hunt the property line, while the guy with the field shouldn't. Sound right out of the outfitter's playbook to me. How can I keep all the deer for my clients and myself, and keep my farmer neighbors from getting any of them. How far is far enough away for those unfortunate souls that are in the fields? 100 yards? 200? Now I have my property plus a nice little 200 yard ring around it that my neighbors can't hunt. God forbid my neighbor shoots a deer that my client should have shot.
Last edited by pgchambers on Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:20 pm

I am a bit out of sync with the crowd on this one. If you have permission on, or ownership of, a parcel of land, you have the right to access every inch of it. Asking a hunter to limit themselves by avoiding property lines would be a little like telling your next door neighbor that his kids have to play in the center of their yard so that there is no chance a ball will stray onto your property.

Yes, we all have to maintain situational awareness for safety's sake and we must strictly obey trespassing laws, but I do not think it is fair to limit hunters on their own property.

pgchambers

Postby pgchambers » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:27 pm

JPH,
That would be a much calmer explanation of how I feel. Thank you. The average hunter is getting squeezed enough as it is. We should not be advocating squeezing someone even further on their own land.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:55 pm

I agree with JPH. If only folks would act with common sense and courtesy, many of these problems could be avoided.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Next

Return to General Discussions