A Theoretical Question...

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
shaman

Re: A Theoretical Question...

Postby shaman » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:11 pm

JPH wrote:[Several good items in your list Shaman. I think a few of them are worth defending.

- Native Americans were using deer decoys long before European colonization. I'm tempted to drape myself in a hide and try it their way too, but I'd get shot.
- The laser thing is a biggie for me. I began to use a rangefinder after a particularly rough season where botched shots led to some long blood trails. I consider mine to be an essential piece of insurance, not only for myself but the animals I hunt.
- How are single shot rifles a technological advancement?
- Haven't worn cotton thermals in years. I'm an Under Armor guy now. Talk about a technological marvel! I suspect the power behind their Cold Gear may be demonic, but that's a conversation for another thread.

I have a deer decoy. It's a Italian hand-painted thing. I've had it for 12 years. It's useless as tits on a boar hog. I may keep it out at the blind this year and see if I can get a rise out of some of my doe-- just for fun. It used to be fun setting it up in the front yard and letting my dog out after it, but that's about it. Pound for pound, it's the most useless piece of deer gadgetry I own.

Look, if you want a laser rangefinder, that's fine. Me? When I bow hunted, I spent my time in the stand guessing yardages to trees. That's how I kept myself occupied. I was thinking of laser sights on bows, laser sights on arrows,

Single shot rifles: They are not a technological advancement, but every time I turn on an outdoor channel I see somebody with a TC Encore acting like they're the best thing since the invention of smokeless powder. Me? I could never under why someone would deliberately give themselves 1 shot. What if the deer stands there and refuses to go down-- then what?

An axiom from my days in extreme sport: the best dressed corpses wear cotton. It's great on a hot summer day, but I've seen guys go into hypothermia at 70F ambient temp. I wear Polypro exclusively now as my first layer.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:28 pm

"......the best dressed corpses wear cotton."

Shaman, you really need to print a list of your terms! That is priceless!

When I was a kid, the only thermal underwear we had was that idiotic qulited cotton, and I was ALWAYS cold. When I switched to the Duofold wool/cotton blend, I thought I'd died and gone to Heaven. Now it's polypro or some other wicking fabric under wool and I don't remember the last time I ws cold. Cotton against skin in cold weather is like wearing an ice blanket after you sweat a little bit!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:33 pm

Thanks to all for the participation on this thread! Interesting answers for sure.

But I'd like to bring things back to the center for a bit.......

What are your opinions on trail cams that can be monitored from a computer or smart phone with you not having to set foot in the woods? (For hunting purposes). Is this a good thing? Is this going too far? Or if it's not too far, then is it a another step towards going too far? IS there a "too far"?

Again, these are personal limitations. I'm not suggesting banning anything.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

shaman

Postby shaman » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:53 pm

Woods Walker wrote:"......the best dressed corpses wear cotton."

Shaman, you really need to print a list of your terms! That is priceless!

When I was a kid, the only thermal underwear we had was that idiotic qulited cotton, and I was ALWAYS cold. When I switched to the Duofold wool/cotton blend, I thought I'd died and gone to Heaven. Now it's polypro or some other wicking fabric under wool and I don't remember the last time I ws cold. Cotton against skin in cold weather is like wearing an ice blanket after you sweat a little bit!

It's not original, and the one time I got into serious trouble with hypothermia I was wearing cotton thermals-- long story. The guy I got that from was a backpacking buddy. He and his wife did Killimonjoro for their honeymoon.

have used trail cameras for a few years now, the biggest diapointment is I never end up seeing the same deer when I'm out hunting.

Exactly!!! TrailCams create eye candy. That's about it. The really big ones on my place show up for the rut and then disappear. Once in a while we get one that hangs out for a season or two, but if you know he's got a spot picked out, you stay out of there or he's leaving.

Rutnut

Postby Rutnut » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:06 pm

I don’t think it's going to far. It doesn't make killing deer a sure thing. It's not for me, but I don’t see it ruining the sport either. maybe a positive aspect is that the technology makes hunting interesting to a kid who otherwise wouldn’t have noticed hunting. I think hunting in high fence or manipulating genetics brings more negative attention to deer hunting than a live video feed. Just My opinion.

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:16 pm

Helicopters, net guns and ear tags...

I really don't care, we as intelligent predators shouldn't feel shame for using technology as a weapon itself.

If I was able to go back hundreds of years to hand a semi auto centerfire rifle to an indian trying to feed his tribe, I bet my bottom dollar he uses every bullet he could get...

I think all of the gadgets are cool(most of them), but I like to keep things simple for simplicity's sake, and my wallet's sake as well...

As far as the trail cams monitored remotely. Ha, if I had the money, I would be running them. Knowledge is power and you can gain a lot of knowledge about deer movement with those things, that is for sure. What is the difference between looking at pics of deer movement online, and studying aerial photos online. Am I cheating because I am scouting without being in the woods? I live in the city, over 2 hours from where I hunt. I spend more time 'cyber scouting' than actual scouting..

My belief is that if you are in the deer woods trying to kill them in their bedroom or dinner table they will ALWAYS have the upper hand.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:36 pm

Okay! So we have a "high fence/manipulation of genetics" limit, and a "no limit".

Keep 'em coming!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

shaman

Postby shaman » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:23 pm

Woods Walker wrote:Thanks to all for the participation on this thread! Interesting answers for sure.

What are your opinions on trail cams that can be monitored from a computer or smart phone with you not having to set foot in the woods? (For hunting purposes). Is this a good thing? Is this going too far? Or if it's not too far, then is it a another step towards going too far? IS there a "too far"?

Frankly I'd love to be able to put a camera at the Thoughtful Spot, Midway, the Jagende Hutte, and maybe my stand at Campground. It would be an absolute gas to sit at home and watch my deer and turkeys I've even priced out the technology. It is ridiculously expensive, and to do what I'd want to do would be darn hard to pull off. I'm not talking consumer-grade stuff either. To get more than brown specs on green background I would need the sort of wireless security systems companies use to watch their employees or what schools use to monitor students. We're probably years from having those capabilities in an affordable package for a hunter.

However, would that be a technological boost to my hunting? No, it would be nothing more than expensive eye candy. What's more, by now, I know my deer's habits, and unless I put out a corn pile or a feeder, I know they're going to be too unpredictable to use the data as actual intel. Once I put out the corn, I can forget about the hunting experience I currently enjoy. That is, I have scoped my deer out enough that I know pretty well where they're going to be on any given day. At least I've got a high-percentage location. Once I put out the bait, my hunting experience as I have come to enjoy it goes out the window. I'm now tied to that bait pile.

It always gasses me when someone I know starts bragging about the big deer they're catching on their game cam. Yes, the brute's there. He's eating your corn or licking at your salt. He may be clear over in the next county by the time you get out and hunt him. These boys move a lot.

kellory

Postby kellory » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:33 pm

Each and every one of us is an amimal hunting an animal, and the more simplistic, or basic the hunt, the higher the emotion involved. The scout work, the planning, the stalk, the antisipation before the shot, the buck fever, and bad weather, cold fingers and colder nose. These things add to the tension before the taking of a life, like the mountian lion as he crouches, tucks, and sets himself for the spring, mouth watering for the taste of fresh blood. Hunting is a primative thing. But we do "inprove" on the origonal, to make it better, more deadly, to blend in better, to kill better, to track better. Even to butcher better and faster, to skin and debone faster. We are constantly trying to draw deer better, fool deer more accuaratly, get closer without being detected. And we keep score on the wall with bones.( Don't even get me started with "my deer is better than your deer" That has been going on since the stone ax, and rocks at a tar pit. ) I bring a lot of gear to a deer hunt, because there are so many ways to hunt, and we never know quite what we need until conditions present themselves.We never use more than half of it, but never know which half we will need. The only thing with a lazer is the bore sighter. I use both iron sights and scopes on the long guns, but no sights of any kind on the bow, and an optical reddot on the crossbow, or currently a peepsight and iron pins. Where is MY tech threshold? Whatever the situation calls for. My attatude is much like the Marines: adapt and overcome. I can sit in a brush pile with nothing more than a weapon and my camo and drag rope, or a heated reversable blind with chairs, calls, rattlebag, scents, decoy, rangepins, feeder, drips, it depends on the needs of the moment, but I am prepared for both. I don't have a quad runner, but I built a deer cart, and I am working on a power attachment idea. Where does that put my tech level? I carry a compass, and arial maps of any place I hunt (usually) but they are a back-up for my GPS. I built solar panels from solar yard lights, ran it through a charge controller, and a battery bank then power inverter to produce AC and DC as needed, without firing up the generator., while at the same time I am crawling on hands and knees to ridgeline to see if my ears are telling me true. Where does that put my tech level? I run into a need, I solve it. That is what I do. If I needed remote access to trail cams, I would figure a way to provide it. We have only 1 trail cam on site now, and that is due to stolen metals, and farm tools. I have several different weapons, why? you can only use one at a time right? Well a scope is best for long distance, but a poor choice for rabits or pheasants, so different gear for different conditions. I have never had or used a range finder. , but a knotted string and orange painted gutter spikes work just fine. Would I ever use a remote controlled rifle. NO, personal choice. I believe the shooter is ultamently resposable for that shot, and feces occours, and I will not do it, but I have concidered making remote controlled noise makers, (wolf howls, brush noises, ect) to plant and use to push deer to me instead of calling. (reversed an idea) What would that do to my tech level? I guess I would say I hunt as primative as is effecient, and as high tech as is needful, depending on what I run into. I don't get to live in the woods lke some of these guys. I can't put that much time into it. It cost to much. So when I do get there, I do my best to be sucessful, and often that means changing tactics, and changing gear. I use what I need, and nothing more.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:59 pm

Woods Walker wrote:Thanks to all for the participation on this thread! Interesting answers for sure.

That was the original question? Shoot, I missed the whole point. Forgive me, I'm a little show. What were we talking about again?

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions