A Theoretical Question...

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
SwampLife

Re: A Theoretical Question...

Postby SwampLife » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:31 pm

Good response, did you take debate?

To me, game cams are more for fun. This year I did take a buck that we saw on trail cam, but the pic didn't help me kill the buck. I killed the buck on the opposite side of the farm from where the cam was set up.

I just love looking at pics of bucks anyways, if they are bucks that are on the property I can hunt, ALL THE bETTER!!! RAwR!

I think part of the reason trail cams are so popular is the age old question, "If a tree falls in the woods...", you get to see what is going on when you aren't there. Who doesn't like to see ghost-like nocturnal monsters? It's just fun for me, not part of my hunting strategy.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

DBogie59

Postby DBogie59 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:37 pm

I'm with you swamplife. I set mine up on trails to see deer. I've seen more deer in 4 months than in a year. I do hunt over them but I don't trophy hunt. It was cool to set up on a scrape that I have freshened up many times and the amount of deer using it is phenominal. Checking my sd cards every week hasn't seemed to affect the amount of traffic.

USN_Sam1385

Postby USN_Sam1385 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:45 pm

I do not have a technology threshold. I enjoy each of my weapons and tools in their own respect.

I also use my technology as the situation calls for it. During gun season you can see me 25 feet in a tree with my .308 and an extremely expensive high powered rifle scope.

However, I also own a compound bow and a longbow.

The rifle is obviously the most technology, followed by the compound and a rangefinder (Yes, just like JPH I owe it to the deer.), and finally the longbow is my most primitive weapon. I shoot it with a leather tab, no sights, and no release at all, 'instinctively' (in that I don't sight down the arrow, but rather simply look at what I want to hit and use hand-eye coordination like throwing a baseball.)

I also have a trail camera, and I use it in the off season. For me it gives me something to do during the off season. It is a lot like trapping. You just don't have to hurt the animal.

As far as pure hunting goes, you need to decide what success is to you personally.

I judge a trophy by the amount of effort that I put into taking it, rather than the size of the deer.

I have killed a 140" buck with a rifle. However, the small 8 pointer that I took from the ground with my bow this year is my biggest trophy. It took me 4 years to do it.

I have now set my standards for a 'trophy' even higher. I want to kill one, from the ground, with my longbow. Be it doe, button buck, or big buck; that will be my biggest trophy because of the method used to take the animal.

JPH: I use Under Armour Cold Gear as a base layer, and then use thinsulate/waterproof/gortex/windshear fleece bibs, with a fleece vest, and a heavy fleece pullover. Fleece with wind shear has become my go to material. It is quiet, warm, and non-reflective like wool. However you can still wash it without having to dry clean.
"You can overdo anything."

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:49 pm

My tech threshold is a lot higher when it comes to clothing. Since the advent of Thinsulate, I am rarely, if ever, cold. As a kid it seemed like I was cold all the time. Polypro and other wicking fabrics are also a Godsend. The key to saying warm is to get moisture off your skin ASAP.

But I still like wool too. It's quiet, warm even when wet, it wicks, and is non-reflective. For me, that never goes out of style or becomes obsolete.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:38 am

Yeah, very cold days are no time to sit on a technological high horse.

On the coldest days my system is, UA Coldgear base layer. Smartwool thermals next, with heavy smartwool socks. I use Swiss Army surplus wool pants and an Irish Army surplus sweater. That layer weighs about 5 lbs. but it is so worth it. Now I toss on a micro-fleece vest. Next is a gortex type rain/wind suit and Muck Arctic boots. I accessorize with micro-fleece gloves and stocking hat and deep wool pockets sewn into my vest. The final techno saviors are chemical hand warmers which I place strategically around my body. My best trick is stuffing them into a slit I cut in my UA mock turtleneck. Having a couple of hand warmers resting over my carotid arteries will get me through almost any cold.

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:51 am

Woods Walker wrote:My tech threshold is a lot higher when it comes to clothing. Since the advent of Thinsulate, I am rarely, if ever, cold. As a kid it seemed like I was cold all the time. Polypro and other wicking fabrics are also a Godsend. The key to saying warm is to get moisture off your skin ASAP.

But I still like wool too. It's quiet, warm even when wet, it wicks, and is non-reflective. For me, that never goes out of style or becomes obsolete.

Do you use hot hands?

No matter how I dress (i use all the wicking undergarments like you said) if it is <40* I need to have hothands, otherwise my fingers are ice. I have tried every glove, but for bowhunting, nothing works better for me than lightweight gloves and hot hands...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:11 am

I use trails cameras, a laser rangefinder, compound bows, carbon arrows, heater body suit, cell phone, decoys, calls, scents, scent control clothes, treestands, gps, and a whole bunch more.

A trail camera with the feature to access pictures remotely? Yeah, definitely I would be interested. But, the ones I am familiar with cost 2....3....4 times more than my Cuddeback Attack IR. Maybe some day.

I have trail cam pictures and video of the 150 class buck I shot with my bow this season. Did the trail camera aid in my killing the buck? Nope. Did knowing that buck, and other big bucks, were in my hunting area enhance my anticipation and enjoyment of every hunt? Yep.

I have an entire trail camera photo library of deer, turkeys, coyotes, raccoons, bears, eagles, squirrels, fishers, bobcats, and foxes that I enjoy looking at. I look at those pictures more than I do of the pictures of the 4 deer I shot this year.

Merry Christmas, all you weary gentlemen.

Jimbo

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:36 pm

"Do you use hot hands?"

You betcha'! I don't need them at 40 degrees, but when it gets colder I put them in my hand muff. It works so well that I wear a thin pair of knit wool gloves and my hands stay toasty. I shoot with a homemade 3 finger glove, so I modified the right hand knit wool glove by cutting the middle 3 fingers out of it to accomodate my shooting glove.

One of the advantages of stillhunting is that while you are not moving much, you are on the ground, and the movement you do make uses a lot of your main muscle masses....thighs, abdominals, lats and back....so staying warm is a lot easier than being tied into a tree with the wind slicing through you. It's actually quite physical, because you are moving in super slo-mo, and many times you have to stop all movement for a minute or longer with your leg in the air if you see or hear something, or you THINK you see or hear something. I have to dress in far less clothing than I did when I was in the trees. I remember a few times in the trees when I was SO cold and muscle contracted that I had to pass shots because I couldn't get the bow to break over!!!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

bobow

Postby bobow » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:56 pm

Hot hands are as cool as baked ham.

I froze all my fingers 3 years ago I now my hands get cold in the office sometimes. I use them at 40 degrees either in a muff or in my pockets so I can use the lightweight thin gloves when bow hunting.

I buy them by the box now from the manufacturer. Very reasonable that way.
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:38 pm

Do you know why those HotHands heat up? It's high speed rust. heat is a byproduct. And you can stop the reaction by putting it in a bagie and removing the air. It will cool off and reactivate when the oxagen is restored. :mrgreen: :geek:
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions