A Theoretical Question...

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
BigIron

Re: A Theoretical Question...

Postby BigIron » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:41 am

Good catch. While my arrows may in fact be porposing a bit. That's not the reason the arrows entered the target at different angles. That target is light and with the first arrow it falls backward until the tip of the arrow hits the ground. The first arrow is the one that looks like it's pointing up. The second is in the bullseye. I'm old and lazy and rather than walk after each shot I just keep shooting at the angle.

I'm still a rookie. I have only one pin I shoot with. Sighted in at 20 and I aim 4 inches low at 15. That's the only place I'll take a shot at an animal from. So, I guess I'm adding difficulty and "sport" Ha! Hey!! You try training the deer to pose at 15 or 20!!!

I have not noticed an increase in my "ethics" at all though. :D

And to get back on thread topic. Bow technology has improved immensely in the last 11 years. That's the last time I picked up a bow (and I only shot one for a few months then).

This bow is set up at 50# max draw, I took it to the bow shop, had the pro set my one pin after about 12 shots I was hitting the bullseye at 20 yards. And I've shot about 12 more arrows since (and I can put a 3 inch group at 15 and 20 yards consistently). He and R2C2 (over the phone) taught me form, and it works.

But I highly suspect the improvement in arrows, bows, rests, and releases have a lot to do with that kind of success.

I'll raise a glass to technology just before I head out to puncture my first animal with that bow (I must steady my nerves you know). :D Should be this week. I'll post the vid.

Oh, and I'm not sure there's one reason I'm doing the bow again. But heavily in the influence was Ted preaching lighter draws and watching him and others have so much fun doing it. I busted (spooked) a 140" 10 on my first hunt 11 years ago trying to silently draw that bowtech bow 70# pull. Pissed me off so bad I sniped until this week.
I'd rather be a fencepost in Texas than king of the world.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:41 am

Listen to what Ted or anyone else that's shot a bow a lot says about overbowing yourself. It's probably one of the, if not THE biggest mistakes a beginner can make. Besides, ANY bow, stick or compound, with a draw weight from 45 pounds will put a broadhead clean THROUGH any deer that walks the planet at reasonable bow ranges as long as your broadhead is razor sharp, and you can PUT THE ARROW WHERE IT NEEDS TO GO.

And just because I like you (most of the time ;) ) , I'm going to impart another gem of bowhunting wisdom your way. You can thank me later.......

Now I know that YOU of all people don't need a lecture on animal anatomy. But all the game that you've killed has been killed with a rifle and with a rifle you just aim for the vitals and fire away. If there's anything in the way...legs, shoulders, etc....you just write that off as collateral meat damage and that's that. You can't get away with that with an arrow. So bottom line, with the bow you need to be VERY aware of your point of entrance, and where on the animal the arrow tip will actually enter the vitals. What you want is a true broadside, and even better yet a quartering away shot angle. Avoid quartering to shots at all costs. If you are keeping your shots in the range that you said, you should have no problem at all as long as you can place the shot.

Let us know how it goes!

Oh, and one more thing.........PICK A SPOT!!!! That's probably one of the other difficult things about bowhunting. Last miss I had (and that was a 15 yards, quartering away "gimme" shot...or as close to a "gimme" as bowhunting premits....), I shot clean over the deer! And I've been bowhunting for 40+ years! What you might try, is when you know that you will have a shot, pick the spot well before you shoot and focus on it until after you've relased the arrow.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:25 pm

BigIron wrote:....heavily in the influence was Ted preaching....

Saw it, right off.
images.jpg
images.jpg (7.13 KiB) Viewed 568 times

BigIron

Postby BigIron » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:12 am

Woods Walker wrote:Listen to what Ted or anyone else that's shot a bow a lot says about overbowing yourself. It's probably one of the, if not THE biggest mistakes a beginner can make. Besides, ANY bow, stick or compound, with a draw weight from 45 pounds will put a broadhead clean THROUGH any deer that walks the planet at reasonable bow ranges as long as your broadhead is razor sharp, and you can PUT THE ARROW WHERE IT NEEDS TO GO.

And just because I like you (most of the time ;) ) , I'm going to impart another gem of bowhunting wisdom your way. You can thank me later.......

Now I know that YOU of all people don't need a lecture on animal anatomy. But all the game that you've killed has been killed with a rifle and with a rifle you just aim for the vitals and fire away. If there's anything in the way...legs, shoulders, etc....you just write that off as collateral meat damage and that's that. You can't get away with that with an arrow. So bottom line, with the bow you need to be VERY aware of your point of entrance, and where on the animal the arrow tip will actually enter the vitals. What you want is a true broadside, and even better yet a quartering away shot angle. Avoid quartering to shots at all costs. If you are keeping your shots in the range that you said, you should have no problem at all as long as you can place the shot.

Let us know how it goes!

Oh, and one more thing.........PICK A SPOT!!!! That's probably one of the other difficult things about bowhunting. Last miss I had (and that was a 15 yards, quartering away "gimme" shot...or as close to a "gimme" as bowhunting premits....), I shot clean over the deer! And I've been bowhunting for 40+ years! What you might try, is when you know that you will have a shot, pick the spot well before you shoot and focus on it until after you've relased the arrow.

Thanks WW. I'll do the "pick a spot" (had never heard that tactic), and I think I've had enough visuals on shows to know that I have to place that arrow in the pocket broadside or quartering away.

Also, since these deer will be in 1220 acres of high fenced property that I sell hunts on I have a $ motivation to avoid "killing 2 or more (due to bad shot placement) to hang one up" so to speak.

I assure you I appreciate any and all advice, and here's a tidbit that will shock you:
I actually know I don't know it all. Please keep that under your hat? Don't want that to get over to the other board ifya know what I mean....

In fact, when I took my bow into the shop to sight it in I told the bow tech guy to treat me just like a 12 year old kid shooting for the first time. Don't assume I know anything. And I promise to be a goooood student.

It was a very pleasant experience. And here's some advice for other newbies... Pick a good bow tech guy and let him teach you. It saved me countless hours "figuring out stuff" on my own.

Dear God in heaven the tech poo poo has REALLY changed in the past several years. I just bought luminok's for my arrows yesterday (on Schnase's advice for video purposes). I haven't totalled it up yet and probably won't... but I think I've got dang near 40 bucks tied up in each arrow!!!! Yikes!!

Anyway. It's all worth it. I'm so dang pretty with my bow...

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:38 am

$40.00 AN ARROW?????!!!!!!!! "YIKES" is right!

And by pick a spot, what that means is to concentrate your focus on one particular HAIR on the animal before you place your pin on it. The old addage, "aim small, miss small", never applied more than it does for bowhunting.

And don't forget the pics!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

BigIron

Postby BigIron » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:38 am

Woods Walker wrote:$40.00 AN ARROW?????!!!!!!!! "YIKES" is right!

And by pick a spot, what that means is to concentrate your focus on one particular HAIR on the animal before you place your pin on it. The old addage, "aim small, miss small", never applied more than it does for bowhunting.

And don't forget the pics!

10 bucks+ for carbon arrows, nearly 10 bucks for the luminoks, and 15 bucks for broadheads. Add tax to that and you've just destroyed a 40 dollar bill.

I can't SEE a hair! I'll just aim as small as I can. And I'll hopefully vid the entire thing.

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:41 pm

BigIron wrote:
10 bucks+ for carbon arrows, nearly 10 bucks for the luminoks, and 15 bucks for broadheads.

What kind and how many broadheads are you getting for $15.00? Just curious.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

BigIron

Postby BigIron » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:26 am

Exodus broadheads. Archery shop guy said he's getting reports from local hunters that they fly nearly identical to field tips.

And I went back and looked and I was wrong. I only paid a little over 12 bucks a piece for them. But I bought them at a local archery shop and not a big box store so I'm sure I paid a premium for them. Which I look at as an investment to have someone close and handy for tech tips and tuning help. I'm a newbie and not very self sufficient yet.

http://www.qadinc.com/2011-Exodus.html

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:09 pm

I dont use them because I could probably only afford a lower end one...and only one. I'd live in constant fear that it would be stolen.
Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.

Buck Commander

Postby Buck Commander » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:37 pm

I prefer to use a trailcam just to see what is out there. I've only been at my current spot for this past season so I'm still not sure what all is out there. If put forth all the effort of making deer licks, throwing out corn, building a great stand, etc, I want to know if there's actually game out there. If I check the cam and just find 20 pictures of mostly the same deer in a 2-3 month span, I'm dropping out of that spot before I'm in too deep. Using cams for this purpose alone, a big expensive cam isn't necessary. Just get a little cheapo with a sim card.

Previous

Return to General Discussions