Do you?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
kellory

Re: Do you?

Postby kellory » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:51 pm

"Kellory: You realize of course your doodie-on-the-stand-seat is now and forever associated with you? I have the R&D guys trying to come up with fake Kellory-in-a- Bag that hunters can use to scare the other guy off their stand. The key is going to be working in the micro-encapsulated scent crystals."
If and only if, it meets with my rigorous standards, will I endorse it as True Kellory, if it smells like that cheap knock off Chinease crap, then the deal's off. As an Evil Republican and a Conservative, I will exspect it to make a profit, and to be able to keep it. You get it in production, and I will be your silent but deadly partner. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

shaman

Postby shaman » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:06 pm

That post made my day! :D
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:20 pm

Comes complete with permasmear technology, and reactivates with water! ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:01 am

jonny5buck wrote:
Ohio farms wrote:No, my father used to empty his ash tray out the window of his car. My uncle Ed, who lived upstairs and was a hunter/fisherman, taught me about being a responsible person and a stewart of the outdoors. I remember the motto of leaving things cleaner than they were before you got there. I would think that we all are of that thinking.
How could you truly love the outdoors and then turn around and throw trash on the ground. Don't get me started on fisherman.

Im in close to the same boat...minus the uncle part...

I remember dad telling us to sink our pop cans when we were young...maybe 10 12 yrs old....he had us believing we were doing good because they made ''crayfish homes''......as i grew up... i realized that those cans are prob. still there....aluminum doesn't rust and the crayfish had homes before we got there!!!....i have laso chewed him a new one when i seen a pair of those orange gutting gloves by where he hunts...no excuse for that.....i either put them in the chest cavity of the deer i get ......[never had them''fall out''] ever...or i take ziploc with wipes in it after gutting i throw the gloves in there and place in my waist pouch....

I really hate littering...99% it is simply laziness or habit...i hear ya on the fisherman ..Ohio farms....i have picked up countless empty styrofoam worm containers and ...i have always put my line i cut in MY POCKET.....thank goodness for good examples of outdoors people....i try to pay it forward also...it's worse when its a state park with garbage cans.......i do believe in the motto...'''take only memories.....leave only footprints''....this is a great thread....a large part of being an ''outdoorsman...or outdoors''women''....is packing out what we take in....Peace!

J5B, I was told the same thing as a kid about pop cans, I believe it was actually considered to be conservation at the time. I do not believe it was intentional littering. So try to forgive you Dad for that part.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:52 pm

Not sure how the sinking of aluminum cans could be a conservation technique. I would think it was more on the line of "out of sight, out of mind". Or you might just call it littering.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:05 pm

Ohio farms wrote:Not sure how the sinking of aluminum cans could be a conservation technique. I would think it was more on the line of "out of sight, out of mind". Or you might just call it littering.
Would you call it littering or dumping to toss used Christmas tree in ponds? It is done to promote cover for small fish, so they have a better shot at becoming big fish. As a kid, i remember hearing that they were trying to promote crayfish growth. I don't know why. But I do remember hearing about it. Crayfish like just about anything with one small entrance. I knew a kid who fished for crayfish with large caliber brass shells (ammo) with a fishing line attached to a drilled hole at the rim. It worked very well! He had about a dozen of them and he would catch alot of crayfish. I don't recall the source of the idea about pop cans, but it seemed to be common knowledge. I was living in Indianapolis, Indiana at the time. roughly 40 years ago. Cans, for the most part, were made of tin then, with a seam up the side, and they did rust away.EDIT":The final version of this can made it's appearance in 1967. It was Coke's first effort at using an all aluminum design. This can is easily distinguished from its predecessor due to the indented ridge at the top lid and the curved aluminum shape at the base with no true bottom lid. In addition, the All Aluminum statement is made on the bottom of the can. A second and more common all aluminum can quickly made it's debute, but this time the all aluminum statement was on the side of the can." I would have been 4 when this can was produced. Tin would still have been in common usage for a few more years.They still had pull tabs for several more years. (it used to be a fad to collect beer cans. I always preferred pop cans. I ran across a mountain dew can a short while ago with a hillbilly kicking back against a tree with a stalk of grass in his teeth, and a mountain dew.(all tin)).

Buck Commander

Postby Buck Commander » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:29 pm

Great post man. It goes to show ya, actions speak louder than words. You can preach something all day long till you're blue in the face but until you practice what you're preaching, no one will listen. Lead by example.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:10 pm

A christmas tree will break down in time, an aluminum can will be there forever. Even with a christmas tree you need permission to sink it in public water. Try sinking a can in front of a game warden sometime. It's littering plain and simple.
FYI. I checked on ASK.COM:
Tin can will dissolve in 80-100 years
Aluminum can 200-500
I guess your tin can crayfish homes are still there.

kellory

Postby kellory » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:55 pm

Ohio farms wrote:A christmas tree will break down in time, an aluminum can will be there forever. Even with a christmas tree you need permission to sink it in public water. Try sinking a can in front of a game warden sometime. It's littering plain and simple.
FYI. I checked on ASK.COM:
Tin can will dissolve in 80-100 years
Aluminum can 200-500
I guess your tin can crayfish homes are still there.

Ohio Farms, I clean up messes, I don't make them. I have a forty year old memory of a technique that I haven't heard about since I was a kid. It was done then, it is not done now. Ideas have changed between then and now. My point was that it may NOT have been intentional harm. As for how metals break down in the wild, that depends on many factors. running water or still, acridity, purity, temperature, and many other factors. I have participated in several; clean up actions. :mrgreen:

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:18 pm

You do not strike me as the kind that litters either. I'm just saying that intentional or not, it's littering not habitat creation.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions