Do you?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
badtoys

Re: Do you?

Postby badtoys » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:54 am

i leave it better than it was when i got there anything i see i pick it up that's i got to kick out 15 guys from my hunting spot in 1 year now i'm the only one there with whoever i want to take
WARNING: The lead contained in this bullet has been known to cause severe injury and even death. when travelling at over 2100 feet per second.Surgeon General's Warning: Getting smoked by one of these bullets may behazardous to your health.

retiredsailor

Postby retiredsailor » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:45 am

Years ago, when I first started to introduce my two sons to the world of hunting, fishing and to nature in general,
whenever we would run across an empty can, food wrapper, or similar man-made trash item, I would pick it up and
carry it back to the truck and eventually dispose of it properly. I probably occasionally commented about slobs leaving their
trash in the woods, but don't believe I really made a big deal out of it to my boys. However, here we are a good
many years later and they are now grown men (40 and 34) and we spend a lot of time together deer, squirrel and turkey hunting.
I take a tremendous amount of pleasure and pride in seeing them return to the truck after a day of hunting, frequently carrying
one of more pieces of trash they ran across during their day in the woods. It isn't generally something we even discuss,
they just do it out of habit and their respect for nature. I'm sure we aren't especially unique in this regard.........most true
nature lovers do the same thing. It is, in my opinion, only a very small percentage of folks who thoughtlessly toss their
trash around while in the woods, field or even on the water, and I have never understood that behavior.
It isn't what happens to us, it is how we deal with it, that matters most.

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:17 am

My father and I do try to pick up trash if we're in a position to do so. If we're not (hunting, not heading back to the truck, etc.) then we'll certainly remember where it is for the next time. When we do cut trees and brush we try to make sure that they are scrub trees (sumac, etc.) so it doesn't impact the "value" of the land. However we're not overly extreme with the woods. If we find a good tree for a stand (bow) and a major trail is too far for a shot, we'll certainly try to create some natural obstacles to "re-route" the deer past our tree. About the only no-no that we have is cutting oak trees. Too valuable to the deer.

One time about 4-5 years ago, we created a sanctuary for the deer. We picked about a 3 acre plot and cut down every tree that we could. While we're not experts, we learned a way to cut a tree that doesn't kill it but it will fall over. (I think it was called cross cutting or something like that). It also let alot of light hit the forest floor and actually created browse for the deer to eat.

So I see your point about leaving the woods "virgin" and appreciating God's work. I do the same thing, but will alter the woods as long as it doesn't affect it's integrity.

Previous

Return to General Discussions