wow a freind has a problem

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Wanderer

Re: wow a freind has a problem

Postby Wanderer » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:36 am

Back in the early 90's, I lived and worked in Cadillac,Michigan. I had moved there from Tennessee on Sept 1 of that year, and I was able to purchase a MI resident deer license in November based on the fact that I could show a pay stub from Michigan. At that time I was still driving on a Tennessee license and I had Tennessee plates on my truck. A few years later, in 1996,when I was living in Ohio, I went out salmon fishing on a charter boat in Saugatuck Michigan. I went to purchase a non-resident license and had to get issued a Michigan non resident ID card to prove I didn't live there. Apparently a lot of residents had been buying non resident fishing licenses because Michigan uses hunting/fishing licenses to track down deadbeat dads. Two years ago, I spent 42 weeks in Berlin Wisconsin helping out my former employer on a project. Because I had rented a house in Berlin, someone had asked me if I was going to hunt deer there during bow season. I think that I could have met Wisconsin's residency requirement for a license, but my home state of Indiana would then not allow me to purchase a resident license at home. It seems part of their definition of a resident states that you cannot be considered a resident in any other state. I still own a home in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, but I'll just pay the non resident rates if I hunt there. I also still have land in Alabama and purchase non resident licenses there

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:24 am

When I talked about reciprocity I was speaking primarily about fees, not duel land ownership issues. I can see how that is a more complicated issue.
Sorry for getting off topic a bit.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:16 am

Ohio farms wrote:When I talked about reciprocity I was speaking primarily about fees, not duel land ownership issues. I can see how that is a more complicated issue.
Sorry for getting off topic a bit.

Even a simple fee reciprocity would be a killer for me.

Again, the maximum fine for poaching in Missouri is about what it costs to buy a non-resident tag in Iowa.

I can understand why a person would be for reciprocity. You can probably see why I would not.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:50 am

I guess it just depends which side of the fence you are on. I appreciate your perspective on it.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:36 pm

Ohio farms wrote:I guess it just depends which side of the fence you are on.

100% agreement.

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:50 pm

I've owned property in Mich. for years and always had to buy a non resident lic.. It truely is unfare. I pay higher property taxes than any of my neighbors for miles around, and contribute more to the habitat than anyone else around. To be considered a resident, you have to live there "more" tham 6 mo.s of the year and be able to prove it.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

Homunculi

Postby Homunculi » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:55 pm

this has been a hot topic .. my only intention was to get thoughts as to the fact that property owners pay taxes to the state .. and do not deserve paying a non resident lic ... if you pay state taxes for the property you should get a break at least 50% of the non resident .. i know that varies state to state .. but geez give land owners a break they pay taxes to own that property .. besides paying for it ... well that is just my thinking and i will not ever run for a office to make it that way ...

the more i learn about hunting rules and guide lines the better
If I ain't huntin i ain't livin!!

hunting is not only skill but, being in the right place at the right time ...

gear:
tenpoint TITAN HLX
revelation 30" barrel 12G
Bear Encounter

MarkOPolo

Postby MarkOPolo » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:59 pm

Hate to be a "poacher" but when I go back to Missouri, I will risk the fines. Do you have any idea how much property tax I pay on 800 acres in St. Charles County? If they can find me on my land the 2 weekends a year I am there, I will give them their fine money and a smile :)

Good luck...

shaman

Postby shaman » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:36 pm

I live in Ohio. I hunt in KY. I own land in KY. Every one of my family pay non-resident fees, and we are happy to do it. Any KY hunter would have to do the same if he came north of the river.

MarcoPolo says he hates to be poacher, but then he says he's going to poach MO deer at the first opportunity. I dunno. Bless his heart. We got folks like him down near camp. One fellow shot his best friend the other day. They asked him why he done it. He said it was because his buddy had more food stamps than him. Bless all their hearts.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:51 am

The problem in MO is that MarkO only has to get away with poaching for two seasons before he has saved up enough to cover the potential fine. Trust me, I've done the math and think about it every time I buy my non-res tags to be used on my own MO property.

I cannot even imagine how many food stamps you'd need to score to cover a murder charge. I'm sure somebody's done those calculations as well.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions