moon phases and peak rut

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
fishnpole

Re: moon phases and peak rut

Postby fishnpole » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:22 pm

Appreciate it. I live in south central .Virginia. (would give my "left nut" to hunt in Illinois, ha, ha)

willypete

Postby willypete » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:05 pm

5 years of trail cam pics and scouting say full moon has no effect on when the bucks by me go into peak rut and such.

Its all about when the cornfields go down and the temperature by me.

Bowriter

Postby Bowriter » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:36 pm

I would really like to see some hard, specific data that conclusively proves the moon has one single thing to do with the rut. After 55-years of watching, studying and hunting rutting deer, I sure have never seen any. Writing it down with a whole bunch of numbers does not make it fact. However, fetal aging studies do. The fetal aging studies I have seen sure would not support the moon theory. Could be, I have a different moon.

Want to plan your vacation around the rut? Just figure out when it was last year or the year before. Then pray for the right weather. Weather, specificlly temperature, has more to do with the "visibility" of the rut than anything. The rut occurs. Hunters may not know it because the bulk of the activity is at night due to warmer weather. However, year after, within about 10-days, the rut is the same, regardless of the moon.

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:38 pm

SwampLife wrote:Everyone knows the days leading up to Halloween and the following two weeks are your best bet, the best days or week within that time frame depend on the weather.

If you are going to get good cold weather the entire time, then it is a crap-shoot.

Bowriter wrote:I would really like to see some hard, specific data that conclusively proves the moon has one single thing to do with the rut. After 55-years of watching, studying and hunting rutting deer, I sure have never seen any. Writing it down with a whole bunch of numbers does not make it fact. However, fetal aging studies do. The fetal aging studies I have seen sure would not support the moon theory. Could be, I have a different moon.

Want to plan your vacation around the rut? Just figure out when it was last year or the year before. Then pray for the right weather. Weather, specificlly temperature, has more to do with the "visibility" of the rut than anything. The rut occurs. Hunters may not know it because the bulk of the activity is at night due to warmer weather. However, year after, within about 10-days, the rut is the same, regardless of the moon.

Hmmm, I like you already.

I actually recently read a book that has data that completely nullifies the 'moon theory'. Weather prediction > Rut Prediction, Sorry Charlie ('Sorry Charlie' is a phrase I use all the time to let someone know that things are not going to go their way. The pun in this instance I find particularly humorous).
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:10 am

Like many have stated, there are more factors than just the moon. I've mentioned this before in posts of yesteryear. Before full moon predictions came about, I had always made sure my hunting trips were planned around the full moon. The first time I found out about this was many years ago while hunting in Mich.. It was during a full moon with frosty nights and the deer activity was unbelieveable. In past seasons I had always found more buck activity during the full moon. Now, before everyone starts jumping up and down here, let me explain. It is not just the full moon alone. It's when it falls and the weather that comes with it. If you pay attention and keep track, you should find that for the most part the weather is cooler during the full moon, provided there are clear cloudless nights and that all depends on what time of the month it occurs. For instance, if the full moon is in the last two weeks of Oct. one could expect a good chance (and if there are clear nights) for a frost. You get a good frost and those bucks will be moving. On the other hand, a full moon in the early part of Oct. will do nothing to enhance deer activity. It will do nothing to have any cooling effect. A full moon in Nov. should bring some good frosts, and activity. I have even had good movement during a Dec. full moon. But, like everything else, nothing is for sure in this deer hunting world. You get some cloud covered nights durng the full moon and that will change things. Cooler weather is always a good thing. I don't know if it is global warming, but these last past seasons have been much to warm. With these warmer seasons the full moon seems to have little effect. Like some one else mentioned, just be out there as much as you can.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

Bowriter

Postby Bowriter » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:50 pm

You know, funny thing, five decades of asking myself why an old deer did that or something else and I still don't have a heck of a lot of answers that can written in stone. To say thus and so is caused by thus and so, is pretty hard to do. In the life of a whitetail deer, so many factors influence so many things, it is hard to just nail the lid on any one thing. Deer will walk 50-yards to cross a fence where it is easiest. Now that is true. However it is not always true. Lower a fence in one spot and deer may cross there...or they may not if the cover is not sufficient or they may cross there only at night or only from one direction.

When speaking of whitetail deer, in most cases, it is best to speak in generalities and scientists, even wildlife biologists hate generalities. They like firm, hard facts. To complicate things, outdoor writers will write anything if they think it will sell a story. They are bad to invent words or phrases. For example, one quickly comes to mind, boundary scrape. I have no idea who thought that up but one year, all of a sudden, hunters and writers were finding boundary scrapes. Not a single one of them or the writers knew what one was but dang, didn't it sound scientific. Funny, you never hear that phrase anymore.

Once I realized we had the same moon in Lower Alabama, Texas and PA and despite that our whitetail rut in those locations peaked within 10-days to two weeks of the same date every year but varied by as much as two months from location to location, well, I figured the moon phase business was just recycled pasture and had about the same valididty as the myth that bucks shed their antlers every year.

We know that can't be true. :ugeek:

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:06 am

Bowriter wrote:You know, funny thing, five decades of asking myself why an old deer did that or something else and I still don't have a heck of a lot of answers that can written in stone. To say thus and so is caused by thus and so, is pretty hard to do. In the life of a whitetail deer, so many factors influence so many things, it is hard to just nail the lid on any one thing. Deer will walk 50-yards to cross a fence where it is easiest. Now that is true. However it is not always true. Lower a fence in one spot and deer may cross there...or they may not if the cover is not sufficient or they may cross there only at night or only from one direction.
I figured the moon phase business was just recycled pasture and had about the same valididty as the myth that bucks shed their antlers every year.

We know that can't be true. :ugeek:

Nothing will ever be written in stone, because every deer is as individual as we are. I can't predict what you or any individual will do in any given situation, nor can we do that for every deer. One can only hope that things we and others observe and learn can in turn help us in our quest for that most favored deer.

In that last part of your quote, are you saying that bucks do not shed their antlers every year? If so, please explain why you would make such a statement. In all my years I have never seen a buck that did not shed his antlers, nor have I ever heard anyone make a statement as such. Have even found shed antlers from a buck that was still in velvet.
never say never

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:05 pm

Has anyone looked at the full moon listings for the 2012 season? For October, the full moon falls in the last week. I believe that could be good timing for rut activity. For myself, I'd bank on it being good that last week in Oct.. If everthing falls into place, it should be plenty cool enough for daytime activity.
never say never

shaman

Postby shaman » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:25 am

Some guys think Charlie's right. Some think it's Leonard. Me? I believe in Jake's Theory. Jake runs Myer's General Store in Lennoxburg, KY. Jake's rule is a lot simpler than Charlie's or Leonard's. He says you can always figure the peak of the rut as about 10 AM on the second Saturday of November. That's usually the Rifle Opener, and about 10 AM, is when folks start bringing in their deer for processing.

"Bucks don't rut when they're hanging up." is a good rule of thumb.

Here's a look at Jake's operation:

https://picasaweb.google.com/Genesis924 ... directlink

Now I've been trying to figure out where I stand on this for some years. Honestly, both Charlie and Leonard have a certain amount of fudging going on. Weather has a great deal to do with it. If it is cloudy when the moon is out, that might reduce the amount of light and therefore have an effect on when the doe's estrus cycle changes gear. Right there, you've got an easy explanation for all the results that do not fit the plan.

This past year was a cipher to me. We were supposed to have as close to a classic rut as ever. However, the Opener came and went, and I had not seen a buck. When we did see bucks, they never seemed to get out of the Seek phase. I finally nailed a monster during the second weekend, but he was anything but excited. This was a year with no Chase Phase. Go figure.

BTW: I still haven't gotten my calendar yet.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Previous

Return to General Discussions