What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
scotman

Postby scotman » Tue May 27, 2008 2:00 pm

The year is 2057 and the first day of the NY deer season. Your weapon of choice is your new  compund bow with latest heat sinking monitor and sure-kill technology attached to the stabilizer. Your arrows come preloaded with the latest gps tracking technology. So you have a 100% chance of tracking all hit game and the bow will not shoot unless you have it pointing directly in the deers kill zone. Adding another state regulation. Compound bows are the only weapons of choice due to the  federal gun ban law  closing the regular gun season 20 years ago. Land prices since then have skyrocketed to $20,000 for a acre of land because the 90% of all land  produces the minimum of 14 point whitetail bucks within 2 years. Whitetail deer managemnt is at its peak of producing heavy record class antlered deer after the first year of their life with a new food plot that enhances a bucks antler mass upto 10 times its normal size. Leaving 90% of the hunters to hunt on public lands hoping it borders  big money whitetail mangement land. Whitetail hunting is a big money business now with state and federal regulations taxing each deer harvested as well as countless of other hunters are cashing in on the increasingly boom of record book bucks. We as hunters have ushered in the commercialization of whitetail deer hunting as we know it. Where do we draw the line?

Scot M.
"The deerskin rug on our study floor, the buck's head over the fireplace, what are these after all but the keys which have unlocked enchanted doors, and granted us not only health and vigor, but a fresh and fairer vision of existence" -Paul. Brandreth

mhouck06

RE: 2057

Postby mhouck06 » Wed May 28, 2008 2:22 am

i dont know what hunting is going to hold in the future, but as long as im in the woods and have a chance to bag a whitetail... thats all i need.

Spurred

Postby Spurred » Wed May 28, 2008 4:46 am

Scary isn't it. [:(]

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed May 28, 2008 7:59 am

I'm still deer hunting in 2057? Sweet!

scotman

Postby scotman » Wed May 28, 2008 3:26 pm

Welcome back JPH!

The one thing that scares me the most is the price of land rising that much. I been noticing alot of whitetail management land is extremely overpriced compared to other land. People are planting a few food plots and calling it deer hunting paradise and charging sometimes double of what it is actually worth. Or hunters are buying land for a investment and planting foodplots and profiteering off fellow hunters. Last I knew crops where only seasonal. Yes I know there is more to deer management than just only foodplots. But if your buying a piece of land that is qoute on qoute deer management land. Then seller should have a complete census of all deer,harvested deer, reciepts for services enhancing the land, and exstensive trail cam images. I would go as far as hiring a local biologist to see if the land even qualifies as deer management land. But even then 4,000-5,000 a acre doesn't justify profitting off our tradition we have come to love. Only time will tell if we where better off without deer management. Maybe it should be called wallet management instead of deer management in this certain case.

Scot M.
"The deerskin rug on our study floor, the buck's head over the fireplace, what are these after all but the keys which have unlocked enchanted doors, and granted us not only health and vigor, but a fresh and fairer vision of existence" -Paul. Brandreth

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu May 29, 2008 6:59 am

ORIGINAL: scotman

The one thing that scares me the most is the price of land rising that much. I been noticing alot of whitetail management land is extremely overpriced compared to other land. People are planting a few food plots and calling it deer hunting paradise and charging sometimes double of what it is actually worth. Or hunters are buying land for a investment and planting foodplots and profiteering off fellow hunters. Last I knew crops where only seasonal. Yes I know there is more to deer management than just only foodplots. But if your buying a piece of land that is qoute on qoute deer management land. Then seller should have a complete census of all deer,harvested deer, reciepts for services enhancing the land, and exstensive trail cam images. I would go as far as hiring a local biologist to see if the land even qualifies as deer management land. But even then 4,000-5,000 a acre doesn't justify profitting off our tradition we have come to love. Only time will tell if we where better off without deer management. Maybe it should be called wallet management instead of deer management in this certain case.

Scot M.

Scot,

I understand where you are coming from, but I see it differently. To me 20th century deer management (formerly known as conservation) is exactly why we have deer to hunt today. Today's managment (at least when done right) is simply moving forward on what our fathers built for us. Greed is not new. People will squueze as much money out of a property sale as they can. Now that the realestate economy has fallen, many are sitting on land that they cannot re-sell at a profit. Not to mention that owning far away land is getting more expensive to drive to. A free market economy, much like nature, will right itself in time. Let the buyer beware!

I see a bright future. I know that things will continue to change, but I see a movement towards education and understanding among hunters. This leads to better advocates for hunting in the non-hunting public. Where I live it has grown harder to obtain hunting permission on private land, but more public land is now open. You now can bow hunt is Des Moines city parks! Please try to look at all the positive things in hunting today and tomorrow.

scotman

Postby scotman » Thu May 29, 2008 1:08 pm

Our free market could possiblity right itself as you said but after the right then we continue down the same path as before. I am not all doom and gloom this topic was sparked by reading the various land forsale ads across the interenet and hunters responses to them on how they would be great property to turn over for profits.  We need to be putting the Deer in Deer Management at numeral uno. Yes there is greed but when self professing Deer managers are practicing deer management buying and reselling properties for only personal gain. Then I consider them only real estate agents not deer managers. I think we shouldnt get the two confused.

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:48 pm

I hope that compound bow in 2057 has no more than a 20 pound draw weight, cause I'm gonna be pretty old by then.

Hunting is no different than anything else, as time goes by, the costs increase.  You will pay more for the same product.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:48 pm

It's 2057 and my grand children are sitting in their stands looking back to a time in 1980 when great grandpa saved and did without to buy 68 acres of prime wild life property and then in the 90's grandpa and grandma bought 50 acres of prime wildlife land forgoing  vacations and new cars ..TV's boats ..cable ect... to raise their mom or dad on...then insuring that those lands could never be divided up and built on.....and stayed in the family...for they had the presance of mind to look to the future as best they could.

vambo991

Postby vambo991 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:00 pm

Scotman, the problem is that some knucklehead is willing to pay that much for an acre of land. That's driving the price up. Outfitters and other folks from the East Coast are buying acreage in Illinois and Missouri at 3 times the price it was selling for just 10 years ago.

Next

Return to General Discussions