"Hunting is a privilege, not a right"

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
User avatar
shaman
 
Posts: 2451
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:38 am

Re: "Hunting is a privilege, not a right"

Postby shaman » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:25 pm

guess I just don't feel like you can take a topic as basic as "hunting" and divide it up into different categories. Whatever the reason, the end result is the same: a dead animal.


Oh we divide it up all the time. You have sport hunting, which is what most of us do. You have subsistence hunting, which is what you do to survive. You have commercial hunting or market hunting, which has largely been abolished. You have to talk about hunting in different categories, because everything about them are different.

For instance: I myself am happy with the tagging system we're currently under here in KY. I get 2 tags for my $60 and then it's $15/tag after that. That's fine for me. However, if I was a commercial hunter, hunting for restaurants, I could not turn a profit having to pay that kind of tag price. Ditto for the poor schlump that is trying to feed his family. In the latter case, Ky does not require a landowner to purchase license or tags to hunt his own property. He needs to obey all the other laws, but if you own a plot and hunt it, you get to harvest what you can for free.

A dead animal is a dead animal? No. It all depends. For me? a dead deer is more of a symbolic thing. I kill to have hunted, etc. If I have to eat tag soup, that's fine. I can afford to hit the supermarket on the way home.

That is not to say the whole right vs. privilege thing is a dead issue. My feeling is that the states, having assumed the mantle of responsibility for managing the game, also have a strong responsibility to maintain access to the game. We've agreed that hunting is a right. Therefore it is wrong for the state to, for instance, abolish hunting or make hunting rules unnecessarily restrictive. They need to be mindful that they are the stewards of a basic natural right. Everyone should have a chance to hunt.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Image

User avatar
JPH
 
Posts: 3419
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:28 am

Re: "Hunting is a privilege, not a right"

Postby JPH » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:34 pm

Don't spit out your beer, but I'm gonna side with BigIron, at least in part. Retch states that right can be "removed". I disagree. An inaleiable right is endowed by our Creator and can only be infringed upon, never actually removed. In other words, my right to keep and bear arms is no different in the eyes of the creator weather I live in the USA or in China. I am simply blessed to live in a country where those rights are recognized by the constitution. In China that right would be infringed upon. People being marched into Nazi death camps and unborn children being carried into Planned Parenthood in their mother's wombs have a right to life equal to mine or yours. We just get the benefit of constitutional protection.

My point is that while I do not consider hunting to be a inaleiable right, I do not think the Constitution necessarily has a say in the matter. A true right cannot be removed, no matter what infringements may take place.

BigIron
 
Posts: 249
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:25 pm

Re: "Hunting is a privilege, not a right"

Postby BigIron » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:06 pm

You act like that's almost as bad as kissing your sister.... my feelings are almost hurt.
I'd rather be a fencepost in Texas than king of the world.

User avatar
JPH
 
Posts: 3419
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:28 am

Re: "Hunting is a privilege, not a right"

Postby JPH » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:26 pm

BigIron wrote:You act like that's almost as bad as kissing your sister.... my feelings are almost hurt.

No, you grew leaps and bounds in my eyes when you showed you have a sense of humor. Pucker up!

User avatar
Woods Walker
 
Posts: 4936
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:21 am
Location: Northern Illinois

Re: "Hunting is a privilege, not a right"

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:29 pm

HA! Just wait until you see him with "The Hat"!!!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

retch sweeny
 
Posts: 565
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:05 am

Re: "Hunting is a privilege, not a right"

Postby retch sweeny » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:51 pm

BigIron wrote: Retch, then by your argument, gun ownership is definitely a priviledge and not a right. .


What?? Its a right. Look at all the rights I posted. I was in no way unclear. I dont know how you could have arrived at your position after reading the rights you have. Keeping and bearing arms is right near the top. Its not my argument and it fact it supports what I have been saying.

retch sweeny
 
Posts: 565
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:05 am

Re: "Hunting is a privilege, not a right"

Postby retch sweeny » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:54 pm

JPH wrote: Retch states that right can be "removed". I disagree.


When the hell did I say that???? :roll:

Rights CANT be removed privleges however can and hunting is a privlege.

User avatar
kellory
 
Posts: 2661
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:01 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: "Hunting is a privilege, not a right"

Postby kellory » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:29 pm

retch sweeny wrote:
JPH wrote: Retch states that right can be "removed". I disagree.


When the hell did I say that???? :roll:

Rights CANT be removed privleges however can and hunting is a privlege.

"Hunting is a privilege that each state can remove from any person (you can remove rights but since hunting is not a right, you can be prohibited from doing it) " You say it here retch. I read that as a typo.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

BigIron
 
Posts: 249
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:25 pm

Re: "Hunting is a privilege, not a right"

Postby BigIron » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:34 pm

retch sweeny wrote:
BigIron wrote: Retch, then by your argument, gun ownership is definitely a priviledge and not a right. .


What?? Its a right. Look at all the rights I posted. I was in no way unclear. I dont know how you could have arrived at your position after reading the rights you have. Keeping and bearing arms is right near the top. Its not my argument and it fact it supports what I have been saying.


Well... either you or someone who commandeered your puter wrote this: "If hunting were a basic human or constitutional right, (rather than the privilege that it actually is) states would not have the legal authority to remove your ability to engage in the privilege of hunting."

Now, unless I'm mistaken (and boy howdy I'm SELDOM mistaken 8-) ), there are states and municipalities all across this great nation that tell me I can't bear a gun in certain areas. Try walking into NYC with a gun Retch.

What you posted was correct. It is a constitutionally guaranteed right that I can in fact "keep and bear arms". But as I just noted, that right can and is infringed. Just like the right to hunt can be and is infringed. Infringement makes it no less a right.

And, as I noted, by your definition above in my first paragraph, keeping and bearing arms is a priviledge, not a right. And I hope by now both of us can agree that that definition is false.
I'd rather be a fencepost in Texas than king of the world.

BigIron
 
Posts: 249
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:25 pm

Re: "Hunting is a privilege, not a right"

Postby BigIron » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:46 pm

Woods Walker wrote:HA! Just wait until you see him with "The Hat"!!!


For those who don't know, WW has been jealous of my dashing good looks for years.. so much so that it is plumb embarrassing at times... :oops:
I'd rather be a fencepost in Texas than king of the world.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests