"Hunting is a privilege, not a right"

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Woods Walker

Re: "Hunting is a privilege, not a right"

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:43 am

I think what has been lost in translation here is that there are 2 kinds of hunting.....sport, and survival.

Most of us....well, me at least....have addressed this in the context of SPORT, or recreational hunting, which is a privilege.

Now if there were a war or some other cataclysm which caused our society to cease to function and you had to kill meat in order to survive at the most basic level, then that most definately is a right, no different than the right to defend yourself. At that point the management idea of wildlife just went out the window because we have to be ALIVE first before we can manage anything.

In this country no one has to hunt to survive, as much as some self-made mountain men like to think otherwise. It's still a CHOICE, and if you are in need of food, you still have the option of social welfare, as repulsive as that may be.

Again, I like to think that sport hunting will always be considered as a traditional and viable wildlife management option, but there's no guarantees for that.....Constitutionally anyway. It's a privilege, and we always need to treat it as such in order to continue to have it.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

retch sweeny

Postby retch sweeny » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:48 am

Yes, I agree to a point.

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:22 pm

Woods Walker wrote:Now if there were a war or some other cataclysm which caused our society to cease to function and you had to kill meat in order to survive at the most basic level, then that most definately is a right

Yes it is.

As it has been for thousands upon thousands of years.

The fact that man made a choice, fairly recently in the scheme of time, to except limitations on that right, does not mean the right ceases to be a right.
Live to Hunt, Hunt to Live.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:33 pm

OK Horse, so are you agreeing with me that there's a difference between sport hunting (which is what we're talking about here), and "it's the end of life as we've known it so it's everyman for himself" type hunting??
Screw the limit.jpg
Screw the limit.jpg (93.7 KiB) Viewed 505 times
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:18 pm

You can subcategorize it if you like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GTLM89pN0A

Great fishing pic BTW.

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Thu May 03, 2012 8:22 am

I received an E-news letter from the Director of the Illinois DNR this morning. This excerpt jumped out at me...

"Since 2009, we have been laying out a vision for a healthy agency focused on its mission, and it started with a new Conservation Congress. DNR constituents worked on three self-sustaining areas:

· Getting new people outdoors – youth, women, families, and under­served communities;

· Improving recreational access to the outdoors for everyone; and,

· Creating sustainable revenues to repair the agency, and broaden its base of support.

If we can accomplish these three objectives, we can protect our right to hunt and fish, and ensure that we can pass along our outdoor heritage to future generations."

:D

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu May 03, 2012 8:50 am

Well if an Illinois political appointee says it, it must be true. I'm sold.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Thu May 03, 2012 10:25 am

ouch JPH... touche
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Thu May 03, 2012 1:11 pm

I prefer to look at it as a sign there's hope... :lol:

kellory

Postby kellory » Thu May 03, 2012 6:19 pm

How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg.
Abraham Lincoln
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Previous

Return to General Discussions