Vanilla deer attractant...

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Mac

Vanilla deer attractant...

Postby Mac » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:41 pm

Has anyone ever heard of using Vanilla Extract, or any other Natural smells to attract deer???

We hunted a piece of property one time when I was about 15 in San Antonio, TX, and I remember my dad putting vanilla extract in a bottle and opening it when we got in the stand. The smell filled the air pretty quick and I laughed and mocked him about it. Then I was put in my place shortly after. The deer came in licking their chops. I didn't undersatnd it at all. They were literally licking the taste out of the air.

I've hesitated putting this on here in fear of being laughed off the forum but it's the honest to Gods truth.

I asked my dad what made him even think to do that?

His response:
"Vanilla came from nature and it has a natural smell. I noticed that I always eat vanilla wafers in the stand and it's never seemed to bother the deer. So I thought I'd try vanilla extract to see how they'd react."

Okay guys,,, let me have it.............

RNC

RE: Vanilla deer attractant...

Postby RNC » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:52 pm

I dont use a lot of liquid scents anymore but vanilla is one that I do. It's no sure shot thing, just like everything else in deer hunting, but I can say that I have never had a deer go on alert after smelling it. I have seen deer smell it and then ignore it, had does and fawns push each other out of the way to eat leaves I have dipped in vanilla and have had bucks rub on the stuff. I have also seen deer appear to calm down after smelling the stuff. Deer are curious and vanilla is a very strong but pleasant scent. I read somewhere at one time that vanilla is one of the strongest scents around. It was something like 1 part of vanilla to 1 million parts water and a human nose could still detect at least a faint smell of vanilla.
Of course this is hard. It's supposed to be hard, thats what makes it great. If it was easy everyone would do it!

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:10 pm

The STILL #1 P&Y typical whitetail, was killed in 1965 near Peoria, Illinois by Mel Johnson. It scored 204 5/8.

I read in an interview with Johnson that he used and always believed in vanilla extract as an attractant, and he was using it when he shot this buck.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Mac

Postby Mac » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:11 pm

RNC:
What brought you to use vanilla?
This is really intriguing to me. I'd love to find where this came about...

RNC

Postby RNC » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:25 pm

Another guy from our old archery club started using it. He would put it a small spray bottle then cut it with a little water so the sprayer wouldnt clog. Of course he took a fair share of ribbing for trying such a stunt. When he kept getting new pictures of deer from his stand (pictures he took, scouting camreas were not around then) or filling is tag while hunting over the stuff my dad and I looked into it. I tried it and took a 6 pt buck while he was rubbing his forehead on a bush I had put vanilla on. Thats got to be close to 18 years ago. I dont use it every time out but I still use it on a regular basis. Not sure where the guy from the club got the idea to use vanilla though.
Of course this is hard. It's supposed to be hard, thats what makes it great. If it was easy everyone would do it!

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:36 pm

its a sweet curiosty scent,i believe trappers use it as well
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Croz73PA

Postby Croz73PA » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:44 pm

I have a feeling deer connect the vanille smell with sugar.  Any opinions?

TwistedX

Postby TwistedX » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:44 pm

Ill try it in about 6 hours and let ya'll know how it goes.
Some days you're the dog - some days you're the hydrant.
Anonymous

TwistedX (+)

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:47 pm

cant sleep before hunting huh? i have the same difficulty,good luck tomorrow i go to wait till the 17th
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

FlDeerman

Postby FlDeerman » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:53 pm

Back when I first started bow hunting(years ago) the first commercial cover scent I used had a vanilla scent to it.I've used it as a deer stop scent but I never thought of it as an attractant,guess old dogs can learn a new trick.

Next

Return to General Discussions