Slightly Insane

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Deebz

Re: Slightly Insane

Postby Deebz » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:12 pm

haha...right on Woodsie! I don't have any pavers to worry about, but they do a number on my garden and it's a real pain to mow through their tunnel systems. I'll see if I can't set some live traps for ya :lol:
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

kellory

Postby kellory » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:05 pm

You are right about the destructive power of squirrels. I have had to repair the fascia behind the gutter, when the squirrels decided to empty the gutter into the attic, instead of the downspout. I have had to replace way too many flowers for the wife,(including roses), and the light up Christmas Cross on the roof I built has had the light "harvested" several times. I will live and let live as long as they stay off my house. But decide to create more damage, and I will sell your tail to Mepps (the fishing lure company)! I cautioned you about following the law as to choice of weapon and method because I had a run in with Jonny Law myself. I had just planted some new roses for the wife (Princess Diana Roses) which smell of licorice, and as soon as I put away the tools, the squirrels attacked the roots. I shot one with a BB gun (heart shot). Within an hour, the law was at my door about illegal discharge of a firearm in the city limits.(Are you kidding me?) I argued it can't be a firearm, it has no fire! That is when I learned, anything that fires a projectile is a firearm, even a bow,(though a slingshot IS legal/ too slow) and that there was a statute against BB guns being used in the city. I asked to see this statute as I did not believe it, and the two cops at my door could not find it. Nor could their dispatcher, or their supervisor, but the swore it was true! I thought about it for a couple of minutes, and then asked if I was restricted in my choice of weapons while being attacked in my home? "Why no sir, any reasonable force is allowed, as long as you feel you are in danger, and they are not running away. (no holes in the back)."
"Officers, you are aware that the Plague was spread by the fleas carried by rats and squirrels? And of course, they have claws and teeth that can carry all sorts of bacteria? I merely brought the BB gun out to try an intimidate the little rascal into leaving peaceably, when the little bastard charged me! I was in mortal fear for my safety, and used the minimum force necessary to stop his charge, and it happened to be fatal! (there was also the anonymous complaint of animal cruelty, from the neighbor who turned me in.) Now, you write it up, and I will sign it!" (by this time 2 hours had passed, and the cops thought the complaint was stupid as well) The cops started grinning, then lost it and laughed aloud, then handed me back my BB gun, advised me to be abit more circumspect if the need arose again, filed no report, and wished me a good day, and left smiling. They have been back a couple of times for coffee on the porch with me. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

gatodoc

Postby gatodoc » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:30 pm

kellory wrote:You are right about the destructive power of squirrels. I have had to repair the fascia behind the gutter, when the squirrels decided to empty the gutter into the attic, instead of the downspout. I have had to replace way too many flowers for the wife,(including roses), and the light up Christmas Cross on the roof I built has had the light "harvested" several times. I will live and let live as long as they stay off my house. But decide to create more damage, and I will sell your tail to Mepps (the fishing lure company)! I cautioned you about following the law as to choice of weapon and method because I had a run in with Jonny Law myself. I had just planted some new roses for the wife (Princess Diana Roses) which smell of licorice, and as soon as I put away the tools, the squirrels attacked the roots. I shot one with a BB gun (heart shot). Within an hour, the law was at my door about illegal discharge of a firearm in the city limits.(Are you kidding me?) I argued it can't be a firearm, it has no fire! That is when I learned, anything that fires a projectile is a firearm, even a bow,(though a slingshot IS legal/ too slow) and that there was a statute against BB guns being used in the city. I asked to see this statute as I did not believe it, and the two cops at my door could not find it. Nor could their dispatcher, or their supervisor, but the swore it was true! I thought about it for a couple of minutes, and then asked if I was restricted in my choice of weapons while being attacked in my home? "Why no sir, any reasonable force is allowed, as long as you feel you are in danger, and they are not running away. (no holes in the back)."
"Officers, you are aware that the Plague was spread by the fleas carried by rats and squirrels? And of course, they have claws and teeth that can carry all sorts of bacteria? I merely brought the BB gun out to try an intimidate the little rascal into leaving peaceably, when the little bastard charged me! I was in mortal fear for my safety, and used the minimum force necessary to stop his charge, and it happened to be fatal! (there was also the anonymous complaint of animal cruelty, from the neighbor who turned me in.) Now, you write it up, and I will sign it!" (by this time 2 hours had passed, and the cops thought the complaint was stupid as well) The cops started grinning, then lost it and laughed aloud, then handed me back my BB gun, advised me to be abit more circumspect if the need arose again, filed no report, and wished me a good day, and left smiling. They have been back a couple of times for coffee on the porch with me. ;)

I call people like your neighbor "Humaniacs" I think it fits the profile type....:)

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:29 pm

Kellory,
Classic post and story. I appreciate the quick wit.

Update on the hog...........................dead hog :D

About 7:45pm this evening, he came out. Yesterday he didn't (or at least I didn't see him) and he was a little braver today. Actually ventured from the hole far enough that I was able to get into position. (Sunday he came out and I had three encounters with him, but each time he didn't venture more than a foot from the hole. I knew if I exposed myself he'd be back down that hole before I could release the arrow.) I was about 10 yards from him with only the corner of the garage between us. I took one step to the left and he was in my sites. He stood up facing me and I drilled him in the center of his chest. He was only about 3 feet from his hole when I shot and didn't make it back into the hole. That muzzy did it's job and then some.

The good news, I don't have a groundhog under my deck anymore (and the unsightly hole that comes with them). The bad news, excitement is over.
Woodsie said it best when he said I was bored. For the last two days, I've been so eager to check that baby monitor for the hog, I could hardly contain myself. Back to being bored I guess.

kellory

Postby kellory » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:28 pm

" Back to being bored I guess." It doesn't need to be that way. You got a thrill from hunting, not deer, but the action; hunting. You weren't hunting for meat, or bones (I hope) but for the love of the hunt. Take up predator hunting. Yotes, wolves, feral dogs, wild pigs. You can do it year round I believe, in most places, and it should help out on the deer hunting as well.

Here, in Ohio, it requires the same small game permit that is required to hunt anything. So just pick one up early in the year and use it all year long. Here, ground hogs, yotes, and wild boar require only the simple permit, and have no restrictions as to bag limit, season, or choice of weapon. (as long as the weapon is legal where you are/ no rifles fired in town stuff) I found this site while researching hunting for wild boar in Ohio, and I have built the spit roaster for my pig already! Plus this is the prepping season for deer hunting, I have more projects, and preparations to set up than I have time and money. I don't have enough help to get it all done, so it is hard to get bored by it. i have a few finishing touches to add to the roaster, i just started the "vanilla Thing test", I have a tower blind to build, and a lot of digging to do, and a half dozen other projects related to hunting, not to mention the rabbits I am catching in town for transport to my hunting property, as a breading population for later years hunting. There is no time to get bored. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Previous

Return to General Discussions